Torque Value? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 06:32 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Torque Value?

I just replaced my 13 inch wheels and tires with 15"ers on my 98 13 foot Casita. Could some one tell me the proper torque for the 5 bolt lugs Studs are 1/2 inch in diameter. Steel wheels and steel lug nuts. Thank you I stubbed my tow on the door sill first time I climbed aboard Going to take a while for my memory to learn the new height difference.
BonesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:49 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi BonesD,
I don't think you will go too far wrong if you torque them in at 95 ft. Lbs.
I ususally set the nuts three times 35, 65 and finally 95 and check them after a couple hundreds miles. Has worked for me for the last 30,000 miles.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Casita told me 100 ft/pounds.

FWIW I just asked my mechanic that question yesterday he says that it is always 80 ft/pounds for aluminum rims and 100 ft/pounds for steel rims.
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too use 100 lbs.

There are a lot of differing recommendations out there, some varying for the same lug size but differing rim sizes, with smaller ones having less torque. As long as you keep the same torque on all nuts, and in the 90-110 lb range with 15" steel rims, all will be fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #5

Iowa
Wheel Torque

I probably should have noted that I am running steel wheels with 205/ 14 tires. 95 ft lbs , evenly distributed and accurately checked is where I run. YMMV. It will also be
the gold standard at the Mississippi River Rendezvous Torque Yer Nutz North American Championships at Thompson Illinois at the end of September.
Dave
Old 07-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Texas
Thanks for the info guys. I got out my fairly new Harbor Freight torque wrench an set it for 100 pounds. Pretty long handle and it just kept tightening and never did click. I was afraid of snapping a lug, stretching threads or stripping it. I backed them off and retightened them by feel like I've done for 50 years. Never had a problem with loose lugs or so tight they wouldn't break loose with reasonable effort. I may swing by a tire place and ask them to torque them properly. As for my torque wrench👎
Thanks again
Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I torque mine in increments, like first to 40, then 60, then final to 90 or 95. Doing every other nut in a rotational pattern on a 5 lug wheel. I don't use Harbor Freight tools.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #8

Iowa
BonesD
While I make it a personal policy to never knock another man's equipment, I will tell you I am using a 1/2 inch drive,Proto 30 to 150
Ft. Lbs ratchet style wrench with click stops
adjustable a ft/lb at a time. I check it against a couple of friends wrenches so we feel we're in calibration. 100 lbs is pretty snug if you have a short handled wrench, it might surprise you. That's all I got
Dave
Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
1/2 inch studs on a steel wheel; 90-120 lbs. Assuming a 5 bolt pattern, hand tighten and then torque in a circle, skipping every other stud until all are tight. On even numbered patterns, torque one side then the other, then work the circle.

Also, you have a lot of leverage on a torque wrench. If you torque the nuts, carry a good T-handle lug wrench. It will give you the leverage you need and allow you to double your effort.

Personally, I have never torqued lug nuts but I have always carried a T-handle lug wrench. I tighten the nuts as much as I can with the wheel off the ground and re-tighten when the wheels are back on the ground.

Now, if I had alloy type wheels, I would use my torque wrench.

As an extra note: If you have a tire changed at a tire place, ask them to use torque sticks on the impact wrench. If they give you a blank stare, insist that they tighten the nuts with a hand wrench. Then you should be get the wheels off when on the road.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Texas
Thank you
Yes, always tighten a bit at a time in a crisscross pattern to insure proper seating etc.
I will just have to compare the Harbor freight tool to someone's snap on. Ball park is acceptable to me.