Torque value for wheel nuts - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #29
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post

Tip #2: Check wheel fastener torque frequently. Each time a wheel is removed and re-mounted, the lug nuts should be checked and re-tightened after ten (10) miles, twenty five (25) miles and fifty (50) miles and periodically thereafter.
Wow, I thought that I checked the wheel torque often. I don't hold a candle to that. But having owned more than one glass car with aluminum wheels I do recheck that lug torque at around 100 miles or so and before or after a long trip, just because. The 50 to 75 foot pounds of torque sounds about right for Corvette wheels. I tend to use the lower end of the scale because it is easy to damage aluminum wheels. And rechecking the torque occasionally allows me to determine if I'm using enough torque to keep the lugs from loosening up. Using 50 to 60 ft lbs of torque I haven't had a lug nut come loose even when driving a fiberglass car in a spirited fashion.

But just to give you a reason to recheck wheel torque after ANYONE replaces a wheel, years ago I went for a ride with a friend in their Datsun (I know that I'm dating myself with this). Before we had made it a hundred feet I'm asking them why are they driving with rocks in the hubcaps. And she replies with is that what that noise is? Said it's either that or the lugnuts have come loose. She had the tires replace about a month and a half before I found one wheel with three of the four lugnuts rattling around in the hubcap. The tire tech apparently forgot to tighten one wheel. Always check the lugnuts after you have driven the car or towed the trailer a ways.

Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote