torsion arm angle on 1984 Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #15

Name: Dan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft "Siesta"
Oregon
Registry
The axle specs - Dexter #9 Torflex rated 2200# / 7" electric brakes - 5 on 4.5 hub with EX lube / 22.5 deg down/ 49.5" to outside brackets, 63.5" to hub face / low profile bracket / leading arm - purchased at Potter Webster. The welders I used were next to Potter Webster, picked it up there, and welded it. They welded both the bracket and axle on. I was also worried about alignment, but the welding shop assured me they had done axles on scamp trailers before and did not have any problems. They had put on both Dexter and axles from scamp in the past. I just don't have enough miles on the trailer to verify that the tires do not wear oddly, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1980's Scamp
Registry
Thank you very much for the detailed info. I hope that this also addresses the issue that Carl has.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Iowa
Registry
Carl & Peter,
You've maybe read thru this detailed write-up of dropping the axle under the kitchen Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm to allow a trailing axle that Dexter will cover. I found it very helpful in getting my head around what it would take.

When I took my Boler to a weld shop that was willing to do a project like this (tonight, actually. Tho it took me more tries than I care to relay, of axle shops being uninterested in helping over the last month - before I was referred to this fella) - it took him about 5 minutes to figure out how to measure the new position. Thanks to Roy's great details of which I read about 10 times, I was comfortable with everything he came up with.

My point is, axle guys who do this for a living quickly figure out what needs done, so it's not as cumbersome to them as it may be to us! So in the end, I ordered the same #9 Dexter as Danny, except trailing arm and slightly different measurements/angle. Axle will be $350, ordered thru the welder.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #18

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1980's Scamp
Registry
Luke,
Thanks for the link. I also reviewed Roy's installation many times and with his and the help of many others including Kevinís I've got to the point that I had a fair understanding on what was needed. Thank you all. But just like you having an idea on what it would take, welding a Dexter leading or making the mod to trailing, the most frustrating part was to find somebody to do the work. And to do it right, including all the correct measurements and alignments that are needed.
At the end, I went a completely different route. I finally found a shop in Sacramento that is willing to do the work. However, Elton the owner suggested a conversion to springs with straight axle. He explained that there will be some additional welding needed to create the support at the kitchen drop and that at the end the trailer will ride quite a bit higher. Fortunately, this will eliminate the guesswork on switching to a larger tire size and also make future tire changing much easier. The cost will be about the same but future repairs and changes will be way easier. We also agreed on a more substantial 3500 pound axle since it will smooth the ride a bit. Scamp is in the shop right now and I canít wait to see the outcome and share what and how it was all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
Carl & Peter,
You've maybe read thru this detailed write-up of dropping the axle under the kitchen Replacing an Axle - leading arm to trailing arm to allow a trailing axle that Dexter will cover. I found it very helpful in getting my head around what it would take.

When I took my Boler to a weld shop that was willing to do a project like this (tonight, actually. Tho it took me more tries than I care to relay, of axle shops being uninterested in helping over the last month - before I was referred to this fella) - it took him about 5 minutes to figure out how to measure the new position. Thanks to Roy's great details of which I read about 10 times, I was comfortable with everything he came up with.

My point is, axle guys who do this for a living quickly figure out what needs done, so it's not as cumbersome to them as it may be to us! So in the end, I ordered the same #9 Dexter as Danny, except trailing arm and slightly different measurements/angle. Axle will be $350, ordered thru the welder.

Tags
scamp