Tow Casita 17' with 4Runner V6 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
P.S. Ed Harris: Our 4R is a 2000 model, with the 183hp V6 and 4-speed OD automatic transmission.
Congrats on the descision,I am sure you will like it.

I recently got an 01 Tundra with the same motor and tranny as your 4runner and it goes well with my Fiberstream..
I think the Fiberstream may be somewhat heavier than the Casita and I have had no trouble towing thru Arizona,New Mexico,OK and Missouri.

I do have tandem axles on the Fiberstream which help smooth out the ride but I am thrilled overall with the match.

Have fun.

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Steve, I've towed an '02 Scamp 16' custom deluxe and an '04 Bigfoot 17' with my 3.4L V6 Tundra 4WD auto. The drive train is a good match for these fiberglass trailers. You'll do fine! Just make sure that you load the trailer properly and use some sort of anti-sway device with your short wheelbase.

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
In our experience and opinion, the Toyota 4Runner is more than adequate to pull the 17' SD. You may recall that the recommended towing weight is no more than 75% of your tow vehicle's maximum tow rating. On the 4Runner, the max rating is 5000 lbs; 75% of that is 3700 lbs. The Casita 17' is rated for a maximum of 3500 lbs --- 250 lbs less than your Toyota's maxium.

We will be picking up a 2008 Casita 17' SD this October 22 in Rice, and towing it home with a 1997 Toyota 4Runner. We will have installed a WDH hitch (Draw-Tite, 2-torsion bars) and a Sway-Bar that Casita will install. We know from experience that we will have no difficulties towing with the Toyota because between December 2003 and October 2004, we towed a Wilderness UltraLite trailer behind our 1997 Toyota 4Runner across the U.S. The trailer and its contents weighed between 3650 and 3675 lbs (I weighed EVERY item we placed in it and checked the final weight on each axle on a scale). We towed it up the steep mountain that separates Jackson Hole from Grand Targee and across the flatlands of Oklahoma. We went up very steep hills rather slowly at that weight, and always switched to 2nd gear when going down steep hills. Our experience was that others on the road were patient and courteous, particularly as we pulled over whenever we could.

We would suggest that you install a WDH hitch both to ensure that the trailer and the Toyota operate as a single unit (this is a primary advantage of a WDH) and to distribute the weight over the axles for better tow vehicle performance.

If you have not already made a choice about a brake controller, we would like to suggest that you consider the Jordan Ultima; it enables you to increase/decrease the extent to which the trailer brakes are engaged as a function of how hard you brake your tow vehicle.

Again, if you have not already done so, you will need to have a transmission cooler installed in your Toyota 4Runner.

By restricting our speed to 55 to 65 mph, we found that our mpg was not significantly more than it was without the trailer.

Our Toyota is now in its 10th year and is in astoundingly excellent condition. We have chosen to buy the Casita to a large extent because we don't want to replace our Toyota.

Petit Lapin
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
Trailer: In the market, ex-Casita owner

I have a 2003 Toyota 4 Runner with 4 L V6 and have towed a 17' Casita for the last 2 years. I am very happy with the combination. I do not use either an anti sway bar or weight distributing hitch (although I am willing to consider one) and have had no problems from sea level to over 8 K feet. It tows fine. The car is rated to tow 5000 lbs and I figure the trailer weighs 3000 loaded, so no problem.
Steven Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #19
Name: John
Trailer: Casita 17LD
We have: 05 17' LD towed by '02 4Runner Sport, WD (sway bar hitch).
Pulls great!
Note: Toyota owners manual said to not use OD, but I believe it is that Toyota wants the deceleration offered w/ OD off. I use the OD, but do shut it off before I hit the brakes on long or steep hills. (Note: the '02 and earlier "Sports" had larger front disks!)
We average 13-14 lugging around No. NE hills, and have see 16mpg on a long Interstate pull.

(The only draw back that makes us think about a Tacoma is hauling a generator and bikes, but with some welding we plan to add rack to hitch for a Honda & put the bikes on top of the TV.)

Good choice you'll have fun!!

John Wells is offline   Reply With Quote