Tow guard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Tow guard

Does anyone have experience with a tow guard to prevent gravel kicked up by the tow vehicle from striking the trailer body and frame? I just returned from Canada, where driving the Route du Nord and the Trans-Labrador Highway took its toll on my Bigfoot.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
No experience with gravel guards here, but with the Trans-Labrador Highway, yes. Had a flat right rear of my truck, punctured by sharp rock, I guess. Which way did you take the road and how much is paved as of now? Just curious.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
We drove from Baie-Comeau to Labrador City, then to Goose Bay/Happy Valley, and then to Blanc Sablan. The road is paved from just west of Labrador City to about 50 miles south of Goose Bay. The paving project continues, with the intent to pave the remaining gravel, which extends to Red Bay.
Tim D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A friend shoveled a pile of money into an old Scotty camper renovation, resulting in a show piece that I would be afraid to pull down the road. He tows with a Dodge Ram truck. He bought a big full width mudflap thing that hangs on the rear of the truck. It's like a half inch thick. Don't know the make or where he got it, but it's heavy duty for sure.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use "Rock Tamers" It mounts onto the ball with over sized rubber flaps. It seem to help. https://www.realtruck.com/rocktamers...nt=464004&prod
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
getting off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
We drove from Baie-Comeau to Labrador City, then to Goose Bay/Happy Valley, and then to Blanc Sablan. The road is paved from just west of Labrador City to about 50 miles south of Goose Bay. The paving project continues, with the intent to pave the remaining gravel, which extends to Red Bay.
Thanks for the update. Two years ago we did what I want to call "the grand circuit". From Vermont via Nova Scotia, by ferry to Port aux Basque, as far east as Twillingate and Gander and returned via the northern ferry and the Labrador way. An awesome trip - hope to do it again some day.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM   #7

Name: Grant
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
When I was a youngster, I went with my parents up to Goose Bay by car and we hit a rock that went through the oil pan. That made it much less enjoyable!

I know there is a company that sell rock gaurds for bolers not sure if they would fit though. But you could google them.
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote