Tow Ratings and Frontal Area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow Ratings and Frontal Area

When I was doing some research for another thread, I found out something about the new SAE J2807 towing standards that seems like it has ramifications for owners of small egg trailers.

It appears the trailers used to test tow ratings under the new standards are cargo trailers, and the frontal area may be much smaller than the typical egg trailer of the same weight. For example, in the 1000-2000 pound class, which is where may 13'ers fall, the J2807 standards specify a minimum frontal area of only 20 sq. ft., defined as the entire front of the trailer down to the ground plane. Using that definition, I'd estimate the frontal area of a Scamp 13 at about 45 sq. ft. In the 2000-3500 pound class, encompassing many 16-17' trailers, the standards specify a minimum frontal area of only 30 sq. ft.

Here in an excerpt and a link to my source:
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAEJ2807 Frontal Area.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	96814
SAE J2807 Towing Standards

Frontal area makes a significant difference at highway speeds. Air resistance increases as the square of speed. A 1600 pound Scamp with a frontal area of 45 sq. ft. is going to put a lot of additional demand on the tow vehicle's drivetrain compared to a 1600 pound, low-profile cargo trailer with a frontal area of 20 sq. ft. (even factoring in the Scamp's rounded profile).

The takeaways for me:
  • The new towing standards don't really fit the realities of molded fiberglass eggs too well. The ratings assume dense, compact loads. Our eggs are mostly air!
  • It is prudent to allow a significant margin in the tow rating when selecting a tow vehicle for an egg-type trailer due to the additional demand of the higher-than-tested frontal area.
  • Manufacturers of tow vehicles and trailers need to provide more information to consumers. Few owner's manuals I have looked at give any guidance as to how tow ratings are affected by frontal area.

I was keenly aware of how much wind resistance a lightweight trailer can generate on our trip to CA this summer. Climbing a moderate (5-6% or so) grade west of Palm Springs against a stiff headwind (estimated at 35 mph sustained with higher gusts), we were reduced to 35-40 mph in 2nd gear. Our Scamp only weighs about half the 3500# rating of our tow vehicle, but it felt like we were dragging an anchor.

Thoughts?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I would be careful in how you interpret this section of the standard.

"This section defines representative ‘standard’ trailers, connections and ballast conditions for test purposes. This is not intended to define ‘worst-case’ trailer loading or specifications, or to establish limits in trailer types that can be towed."

The specification references Appendix A which gives examples of representative trailers that meet the spec.

The tests are intended to determine the weight towing and stopping capabilities of the vehicles and I believe the intention of these standardized trailers is to ensure that other factors don't enter into the results. At the end of Appendix A, there are even suggestions as to the type of equipment that may be considered standard.

Note that while a specific stretch of road is referenced for the test, that stretch doesn't actually have to be used:

"Highway Gradeability Test is accomplished by running Arizona SR 68 (Davis Dam Grade) or simulated dynamic grade in
a climatic wind tunnel."

This is all about leveling the playing field, apples to apples and all that.

Notice that no consideration is given for the draft effect of the TV on the trailer. Did you ever see the 'Myth Busters' episode where they tested gas mileage on a pickup with the tailgate up or down.
Mileage differences were not significant. Wind tunnel tests showed that the slipstream passed mostly over the tailgate when it was up.

As has been discussed in other threads about TT frontal area, consideration needs to be given to the draft effect of TV to TT. As regards frontal area wind resistance, I think we need to look at the TV/TT combination as a whole. Some would be better than others. Though in the "Myth Busters" episode the slipstream cleared the tailgate, it would have hit dead in the middle of most of our trailers. Likely a pickup with a bed cap or an SUV would fare better that a plain pickup.

You are best guided by your own experience and your owners manual. My Outback is rated at 2700 lbs with brakes, but if I come across a long uphill grade continuous for more than 5 miles with an outside temperature 104* F or above, the rating drops to 1350 lbs. I plan my trips around that. It might even be worthwhile to check the seasonal prevailing winds in the areas we plan to travel.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Jon,

I just remembered that you are in Arizona. Ever thought of giving that Davis Dam grade a run??
Old 06-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Jon,
I just remembered that you are in Arizona. Ever thought of giving that Davis Dam grade a run??
Unlikely I will ever be in that part of the state with the trailer unless we are headed someplace else! (And usually anxious to get there… )
Old 06-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have never seen a purpose built cargo trailer which didn't push more air than a Scamp.
There is a world of difference between a flat 45 square foot frontal area and the front of a BT fiberglass trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have never seen a purpose built cargo trailer which didn't push more air than a Scamp.
There is a world of difference between a flat 45 square foot frontal area and the front of a BT fiberglass trailer.
I don't think that's the point here, Floyd. We're not comparing a 45 sq. ft. egg to a 45 sq. ft. box trailer. We're comparing a 45 sq. ft. rounded egg to a 20 sq. ft. box trailer. That's a very small cargo trailer, something like 4'Wx6'Lx4'H. A Scamp will surely push more air than that!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #7

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Our 2009 Ford Ranger had a restriction in the owner's manual that for its tow limit, the towed object needed to be no bigger than that truck's own dimensions in width and height. So any least some vehicles are being sold with restrictions alluding to this...
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Our 2009 Ford Ranger had a restriction in the owner's manual that for its tow limit, the towed object needed to be no bigger than that truck's own dimensions in width and height. So any least some vehicles are being sold with restrictions alluding to this...
Just what are the consequences for using your own good judgement?
Do you get charged with truck abuse and Ford takes your truck away to an automotive shelter...ASPCT?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
For an example The Ford Escape towing guide limits the frontal area to 24 sq ft for the 4 cylinder Escape and 30 Sq ft for the 6 cylinder Escape. Ford F250 lists that 60 Sq ft is the frontal area limit. This is just another academic discussion that will in reality be totally ignored in practice.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Just what are the consequences for using your own good judgement?
Do you get charged with truck abuse and Ford takes your truck away to an automotive shelter...ASPCT?
I can see the poor overworked and abused rangers finally getting to frolic unloaded...

Fwiw, we pulled a small canned ham clearly over the height and width....but well under the maximum weight...it seemed a bit odd to say a pickup couldn't tow a travel trailer!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #11

Colorado
Registry
Here's the owner's manual from a 2009 ranger...this isn't advertised as the limits, it was a shock to us, honestly, after researching! Replaced it with a Sienna that tows more with no restrictions listed on frontal area.
Attached Thumbnails
image.png  
Old 06-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just carry a couple pontoon boats on the RAV roof rack, to block the wind.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #13

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Good one Glenn😜

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I just carry a couple pontoon boats on the RAV roof rack, to block the wind.
We bought a new 20 ft pontoon boat last week . We pick it up right after the 4th . I will have to try your method when we head to the UP in late July.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
For an example The Ford Escape towing guide limits the frontal area to 24 sq ft for the 4 cylinder Escape and 30 Sq ft for the 6 cylinder Escape. Ford F250 lists that 60 Sq ft is the frontal area limit. This is just another academic discussion that will in reality be totally ignored in practice.
The frontal area of my 2008 Ford Escape is over thirty square feet without a trailer!
It is an indisputable fact though, that frontal area is an important factor, in some cases more so than weight.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
It is an indisputable fact though, that frontal area is an important factor, in some cases more so than weight.
Frontal is for traveling forward.
Weight is for traveling forward and stopping.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:35 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I guess that's the underlying point. We don't talk about it much. Many manufacturers ignore it altogether (Ford seems to be the exception). And when it is addressed, we find the assumptions of manufacturers (and the new towing standards) have little to do with towing RVs, and we routinely ignore them, as you say. Plenty of Ford Rangers successfully tow Scamp 5ers with a huge frontal area.

But I don't see it as purely academic. Anyone, and especially a newcomer to towing, who asks the question, "Can I tow ___ with ___?" has to consider frontal area in the equation. Weight alone does not tell the whole story.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I guess that's the underlying point. We don't talk about it much. Many manufacturers ignore it altogether (Ford seems to be the exception). And when it is addressed, we find the assumptions of manufacturers (and the new towing standards) have little to do with towing RVs, and we routinely ignore them, as you say. Plenty of Ford Rangers successfully tow Scamp 5ers with a huge frontal area.

But I don't see it as purely academic. Anyone, and especially a newcomer to towing, who asks the question, "Can I tow ___ with ___?" has to consider frontal area in the equation. Weight alone does not tell the whole story.
Another HUGE factor is tires. We talk a lot about trailer tires but ...
a crappy set of new TV tires can change a perfect TV/Trailer combo into a white knuckle thrill ride.
As with any learning curve it is important for a newcomer to start with a "by the book" approach, until knowledge and experience allows personal responsibility.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #19

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
My 2014 Jeep GC specs max frontal area as 55 sq ft regardless of engine size.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #20

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
My 2014 Jeep GC specs max frontal area as 55 sq ft regardless of engine
...which most conventional travel trailers exceed, and even a few boxier molded fiberglass models.

So then what? Common sense says one thing, but no one (here, anyway) seems to be talking much about it.