Tow ratings: Euro/AUS versus USA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Tow ratings: Euro/AUS versus USA

This is an interesting article that attempts to possibly explain why the USA tow ratings tend to be lower than the ratings for the same vehicles overseas. Tow me down! The conclusion (short version) seems to be that North American towing is geared toward heavier hitch weights, which allow somewhat higher speeds in general; towing elsewhere involves lighter hitch weights so as to not exceed rear axle and hitch weight ratings, but at lower speeds. That is somewhat of an oversimplification, but anyway I thought it was good reading.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Interesting article but he missed a key factor. The use of the WDH in NA.

That is the reason we can tow with the higher, more stable tongue weights.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Having spent some time in the UK I can tell you that a Ford Fiesta is the same vehicle as a Ford Fiesta in the US. First off there is very very few gasoline cars in the UK, almost everything is Diesel, including the Austin Martin I looked at. So when any says the tow ratings are different between the countries, so are vehicles. It's impossible to compare apples to apples in these cases, it's more like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
MC1

Ontario
The interesting thing is about towing and the article is that folks in NA have been conditioned. Over here the big auto corporations do everything possible to get folks into their high price, high profit pick ups and SUV's.

Overseas folks think nothing of towing a large TT with a Subaru Forester. It is done without issue all the time.

Image from the OP's article....
Attached Thumbnails
forester trailer 400lbs.jpg  
Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Having owned two English Sprite "Caravans", a 1967 and 1972 I can tell you they are much lighter then what we have here.
There was a bulb on the floor with a hose under the trailer you put into a water container.
The first was a 1967 13', no battery one propane tank, 2 burner stove and a GAS LIGHT, bought that one new! The second, a 15' was bought used and had a closet where a porta potty could be put.

Compared to the Scotties and the rest of the trailers of that vintage they were feather weights.
There were not even tanks for water, gray and black either.
Both had surge brakes with a hitch that would allow the TV or trailer to "roll over" with the other remaining on the ground correctly.
Sprite Caravans | Swift Group
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #6

Name: pattie
Trailer: currently shopping
North Carolina
I have a NA 2006 scion xb and want to tow a small trailer . am worried about wear on xb and ability to stop.
pattiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #7

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiep View Post
I have a NA 2006 scion xb and want to tow a small trailer . am worried about wear on xb and ability to stop.
Don't even know what this vehicle is but found their forum:

Scion xB with TRAILER!!! - Page 3 - Scion xB Forum

According to them, there's no tow rating (for a good reason) and should not be used to tow.

One guy did mention perhaps towing a motorcycle trailer with it, however.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Pattie, My brother and law purchased an XB and loves it. He has a manual transmission version. I considered one to tow our Scamp but decided to stick with Honda products.

You should go to the Scion forum where there are more experienced users and I believe there was a towing discussion. As to braking, you should not be counting on the tow vehicle for braking, though they usually can stop the trailer in most situations. In my opinion all trailers should have brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #9
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiep View Post
Pattie.... Here is a good discussion about towing with an XB.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cle-60219.html