tow vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Still don't know why anyone would go out of their way to by a TRUCK for towing a 13 foot fiberglass RV. Now, if you NEED a truck for other things, go for it... But these campers were made to be towed by 4 cylinder cars!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #16

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Cause some of us just like trucks!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Still don't know why anyone would go out of their way to by a TRUCK for towing a 13 foot fiberglass RV. Now, if you NEED a truck for other things, go for it... But these campers were made to be towed by 4 cylinder cars!
The OP is from Texas. Texans drive pickup trucks, not wimpy Asian SUVs.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
The reason I suggested a truck, and specifically a Toyota truck of that era is partly because the OP had stated a desire to buy a vehicle that is a simple design and user serviceable. These little 2WD 4cyl manual trans trucks are exactly that. Replacing a clutch or other service component can usually be done without special tools, etc, at home by the average shade tree wrench.
When you are talking about most smaller cars in that category, you generally are dealing with front wheel drive, which makes them somewhat less friendly to work on at home.
The OP has not chimed back in on the thread, but it sounds like she may in fact be on a rather strict budget when it comes to vehicles, so to my mind, small trucks can be an excellent choice as a "do anything" vehicle. I also like a truck because it allows carrying things like generators and fuel cans in a safe manner ( not in the interior ).
Floyd points out the potential for head and or headgasket issues with the old 22R Toyota motor.....for sure, do NOT overheat one of those motors. Get it good and hot and you are almost guaranteed to fry it.
Back in the day you could get a "motor-rad" thermostat for those. It's advantage was that if it failed, it failed in a locked open position, leading at worst to running too cold rather than too hot. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I had one in my '92 Toyo.

To the OP, if you don't already know this, it's a good idea when evaluating these older vehicles to have someone knowledgeable look them over very carefully underneath. Make sure the frame and suspension parts are still solid, and not rusting/rotting away. Bushings and shocks etc, can of course be replaced easily enough, but if the major parts are too far gone, then it's pretty much a pass on that one walk away.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The primary cause of overheating and head gasket failure in the 22R & 22RE Toyota's, is thought to be caused by long term use of the wrong coolant. Toyota "Pink" coolant is the weapon of choice. Until recently most other commercial automotive coolants were not designed to be used with the combination of metals found in the Toyota (and other Asian) engine.

FWIW: The most common damage caused in these engines is a failure of the headgasket in the #4 cylinder and in almost all of those cases inspection of the gasket will show that metal deterioration started at one cooling passage long before the actual failure.

Those that use Toyota coolant exclusively seldom have headgasket problems.

I have had exactly one headgasket failure on one of the five Toyota 4 cylinder motorhomes I have owned. That occured after driving it about 2000 miles, after it had been stored for 4 years with generic antifreeze in it.

The mechanic correctly predicted what he would find when removing the 20+ year old head at 118,000 miles, an eaten away headgasket in the #4 cylinder
Old 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #20

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The primary cause of overheating and head gasket failure in the 22R & 22RE Toyota's, is thought to be caused by long term use of the wrong coolant. Toyota "Pink" coolant is the weapon of choice. Until recently most other commercial automotive coolants were not designed to be used with the combination of metals found in the Toyota (and other Asian) engine.

FWIW: The most common damage caused in these engines is a failure of the headgasket in the #4 cylinder and in almost all of those cases inspection of the gasket will show that metal deterioration started at one cooling passage long before the actual failure.

Those that use Toyota coolant exclusively seldom have headgasket problems.

I have had exactly one headgasket failure on one of the five Toyota 4 cylinder motorhomes I have owned. That occured after driving it about 2000 miles, after it had been stored for 4 years with generic antifreeze in it.

The mechanic correctly predicted what he would find when removing the 20+ year old head at 118,000 miles, an eaten away headgasket in the #4 cylinder
Bob,
That's interesting about the coolant. When I had my Toyota, I always used the Toyota pink stuff. At that time it was one of the few antifreeze blends that was "silicate and phosphate free". At that time I was also running Honda and Kawasaki water cooled motorcycles, and they were adamant about using coolant that had no phosphates and silicates, in part because of the design of their waterpump seals. By that time in the evolution of all this stuff, I decided to keep it simple by using the coolant that came from the dealerships for these vehicles.

However, let's not even let this discussion go down the road of "dexcool" !
Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Midwesteners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
The OP is from Texas. Texans drive pickup trucks, not wimpy Asian SUVs.
Neither do true midwesteners !! Especially those from "ILLINOYS"
Old 12-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
There you go again- bringing FACTS into the argument!

You know what's funny?

Despite this site's supposed emphasis on small-towing, many of its members espouse exactly the same approach that one is treated to on "big-tow" sites! According to this philosophy, nobody's tug will serve unless it has a big open box where the passenger compartment is supposed to be.

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last year "consorting with that enemy", so I know whereof I speak...

To the O.P.:

McBrew's right- you can tow a thousand pound trailer with just about any street legal car on the market that's bigger than this:

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #23

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I suggested a Ranger because of the request for rear wheel drive, simplicity, and affordability.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #24

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I suggested a Ranger because of the request for rear wheel drive, simplicity, and affordability.
Ditto me ( insert Toyota where Tom says Ranger ).
I would hardly call either of these trucks "large". Simple, fuel efficient, versatile, and really great all around personal vehicles if a person does not need to carry several passengers.

For me, there is absolutely no downside to a pickup truck as they are built now. My crew cab Nissan can carry passengers in safety and comfort, tow a trailer, go off road, go in any weather ( much deeper snow than any passenger car ), safely carry things in the bed that really should NOT be inside of a passenger compartment ( gas cans, generators ). Etc.

Francesca, if you have never tried one of these trucks, you should do so sometime. It might well change your mind about how well they work.

Kind of going off topic, but for me pickup trucks are a necessity of daily life anyway. When I'm not gone camping, my daily life revolves around a stable with 36 horses, so trucks rule the transportation roster. I'm just glad that trucks are now as nice as they are.
LOL....don't make me bring the one ton dually over there to camp and drag your little pacific rim SUV and camper all over the yard !!!! I won't even need to lock it in 4 low..... Just kidding !!!!! It's all good !

geo
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #25

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Ditto me ( insert Ranger where Tom says Ranger ).

Think of my Ranger as a sportscar with a a trunk big enough for all my gear!

BTW;I also tow my 13 Scamp witha a 4CYL Escape.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote: McBrew's right- you can tow a thousand pound trailer with just about any street legal car on the market that's bigger than this:

And exactly where do you find a MFRV that only weighs 1000 lbs with more than a can of beans inside?????
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Hey, now... My Subaru Outback was built in Indiana. But to tell the truth, I'd still have bought it if it were made in Japan. It carries five people comfortably. It handles two child seats in the back easily. It gets decent fuel economy for an all-wheel-drive vehicle, and it has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, which is more than a lot of small and mid size SUVs. Also, it was built to tow. It has a 2,700 pound tow rating in the US, and up to a 4,400 pound tow rating in other countries. It is even prewired for trailer lights. Heck, they even show it towing in some of their commercials!

Now, this is a little off topic, as Outbacks tend to hold their value very well... So they are not easy to find within the OP's budget.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #28

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Ditto me ( insert Toyota where Tom says Ranger ).
I would hardly call either of these trucks "large". Simple, fuel efficient, versatile, and really great all around personal vehicles if a person does not need to carry several passengers.

For me, there is absolutely no downside to a pickup truck as they are built now. My crew cab Nissan can carry passengers in safety and comfort, tow a trailer, go off road, go in any weather ( much deeper snow than any passenger car ), safely carry things in the bed that really should NOT be inside of a passenger compartment ( gas cans, generators ). Etc.

Francesca, if you have never tried one of these trucks, you should do so sometime. It might well change your mind about how well they work.

Kind of going off topic, but for me pickup trucks are a necessity of daily life anyway. When I'm not gone camping, my daily life revolves around a stable with 36 horses, so trucks rule the transportation roster. I'm just glad that trucks are now as nice as they are.
LOL....don't make me bring the one ton dually over there to camp and drag your little pacific rim SUV and camper all over the yard !!!! I won't even need to lock it in 4 low..... Just kidding !!!!! It's all good !

geo
We used our 1994 Dodge Ram (bought 10yrs ago for $10.000, so might be within op money limits now) with Cummins Diesel to tow our 13' Scamp 9,000 miles this past summer. We did Az, Co, Ut, Ca, Or, Wa, Id mountain passes in overdrive with cruise control on at 65-70mph with it never slowing or down shifting, and obtained 17.6 mpg every tank, except for California at 55 mph we got 23 mpg. When we tow with our Jeep Wrangler we get 10.5 mpg.... I sure wish our Toyota Prius could tow.