tow vehicle - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
....let's be real though. There are NONE of those first gen cars left. Thankfully.
Probably one of the worst example of modern four wheeled transportation built. ranks right down there with Yugo.

Kia threw that baby out with the bath water, and started all over with the second gen, and pretty much got it right that time.

I still challenge you fix any driveline issues with your Kia with ordinary tools that most people have.
First of all, my Kia has never HAD any "driveline issues", and I've owned it for more than 100,000 of the miles presently on its odometer. (Now 180,000 miles and counting)

I recently took it for a comprehensive service, including a long-overdue look at its wheel bearings. The mechanic reported, with an air of disbelief, that it "has better bearings than those on a truck". There were no signs of wear. He replaced/refreshed the lubrication and told me I'm good for another however-many miles.

I don't advocate for the Sportage particularly...though I think the main thing that contributes to men's low opinion of it is the name. Much too similar to the dread "dorkage" of Dilbert-the comics-character's invention. And I disagree with any assessment that the more recent incarnations of the vehicle are somehow "better"- unless making it more like other vehicles of the same weight and class is an indicator of improvement. I for one wouldn't buy a "new" Sportage. Too much like its competitors...

I think my experience is mainly useful as an illustration of the fact that there are other vehicles besides the most "famous" ones that can easily fill the bill when considering daily driver/tow vehicle combinations. The O.P. would do well to avoid nose-lifting at rigs other than the top two or three advocated by more inside-the-box folks.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #44

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
All right, I'll say this one more time, and then I will leave this thread for others to hash out. My point is....the OP SPECIFIED that she wanted a vehicle that is SIMPLE to WORK on. So....one more time.....front engine, rear wheel drive, body on frame construction, semi-floating rear axles, simple tube shocks.....these are many of the things that make a vehicle easy to service by the at-home mechanic who does not have a lot of tools and/or skills.

Over and out....good night all......

Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I don't mean to disrespect anyone but this thread is somewhat typical of what happens when a new person asks for some advice.
Some overthink the original request and get all technical.
The thread loses site of the original request and only serves to confuse or frustrate the new person.

What do $6000.00 trucks or Kia Sportages have to do with a person on a limited budget who wants advice on $3500.00 TV to tow a 13 footer.

I'm not blaming anyone. Threads like this have bugged me for years.

John
Old 12-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #46

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post

What do $6000.00 trucks or Kia Sportages have to do with a person on a limited budget who wants advice on $3500.00 TV to tow a 13 footer.

I'm not blaming anyone. Threads like this have bugged me for years.

John
Me, too!

I repeat: I don't promote the Sportage necessarily, or even specifically...I only offer my own experience as one of the (evidently few) people that have successfully and safely towed with something other than the "pickup truck" that some folks think is the only vehicle that can be used for the purpose.

There are many, many others.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #47

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:

John
A used Kia Sportage could certainly fall within the sub-$3,500 price range.

I did not mean to offend when I spoke about pickup trucks. People in the US of A take their pickup trucks seriously. As silly as I think it is for people to use a pickup as a car, they probably think I am just as silly to use my car to tow a trailer.

Please don't respond with the reasons YOU need a pickup truck. You don't need to justify it to me. I know there are legitimate reasons why someone might need a pickup truck. I do not, but I know that people do. An all-wheel-drive station wagon and a $300 utility trailer are all I need. In fact, I have used my trailer three times this week, and it is hitched to the back of my Outback as I type this -- full of cardboard and construction debris.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #48

Trailer:
Quote:
The thread loses site of the original request and only serves to confuse or frustrate the new person.
What they should be able to learn is that any of the tow vehicles owned by a member of this forum are absolutely ideal for all purposes and cannot be bettered - or at least that's how it reads to me.

So they can buy anything and it will be perfect - that's useful information, isn't it?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #49

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Yes. True.

Your turn!

Francesca
OK, I'm back. Did I miss anything?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #50

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sally,
What you can take from this thread is that practically any vehicle can tow a 1000-1500 lb trailer, even more so if the trailer has brakes.

The thread shows that people have towed small trailers successfully with all classes of vehicles from 4 cylinder gas engine powered small SUVs to 8 cylinder diesel powered big trucks.

The reality is there are many choices that will fit your need for an affordable tow vehicle for a small trailer, you may already own one. Though people love to discuss their tow vehicle choices, the best part is being on the road enjoying the lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #51

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Toyota pickup 1990 V6 5speed bought for 3000 in 2006 has 360000 kms on it getting ready to use it to tow our 13 ft Boler south for a couple months again this year.
Do all the service myself. I have a decent selection of tools but no actual training in the service industry. Did timing belt last fall, pretty simple. Millions of these sold and lots still on the road, especially in southern climates.
Have towed our boler with everything from a big Chev sedan. "84 VW diesel Rabbit,Our Hotrod Comet (similar to Falcon) to name some, It don't care!
I like the little truck simply for the cargo space.
Fred
Old 12-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #52

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
You are correct Brian, those Falcons were the beginning of the fox platform, which had a long run as the Mustang chassis.
Not that it would matter in the case of the Falcon....those things with a 6 banger in them barely made enough power to get out of their own way....you would not be towing much with one. My brother had one, and my uncle had one that was a wagon, so I spent some of time learning to drive as a kid in them. We also had a Ford truck at that time that had the old 223 six banger. Pretty solid motor in the day, but again, darned little power. At least in the truck it had 4.11 gears to help it get moving !

All of which of course will mean little to the OP if she ever comes back ! I think we scared her away...
Fox body cars started in 1978 with the Fairmont then in 1979 in the Mustang. The 200 cid small block 6 made plenty of power to tow a small trailer (120 Hp/200FPT)
Remember, as large as it is, my 1966 Falcon Futura coupe weighs less than 2500 pounds, with an automatic!.
Of course all that is moot for most people since the newest American Falcon is now over 40years old.

BTW, these cars were also fitted with FE V8s, Windsors SB V8s and 250 I6s.
Falcon vans were even equipped with 240s.(a 6CYL who's larger 300CID version was used in semi-trucks)

There is a very high likelyhood that my Falcon will eventually pull "Eggy-Sue" my 13 Scamp Deluxe front bath.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #53

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... those Falcons were the beginning of the fox platform, which had a long run as the Mustang chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Fox body cars started in 1978 with the Fairmont then in 1979 in the Mustang
Right... the Fox chassis was later, although the Falcon and Mustang shared an earlier series of chassis. My point was just that
  • unibodies were common in North American vehicles long before the 1980's, and
  • the Falcon - held out as an example of traditional design and simplicity - was a unibody.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #54

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Right... the Fox chassis was later, although the Falcon and Mustang shared an earlier series of chassis. My point was just that
  • unibodies were common in North American vehicles long before the 1980's, and
  • the Falcon - held out as an example of traditional design and simplicity - was a unibody.
The Mustang was a derivative of Falcon chassis in the beginning and followed the Falcon after it changed to the new Fairlane chassis. That basic chassis produced such cars as the Maverick and the Granada.
During the mid-seventies the Mustang was switched to the Pinto chassis.
Much maligned by the ignorant, the Pinto chassis is one of the best handling ever made.
Notice that the Mustang has always followed a chassis already in developement.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #55

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
I think a small older truck might be the way to go or an older 4.0L Cherokee. If you're going to be in rural areas a small domestic truck might be easier to get parts for. Another option might be a Bronco II. Something that lends itself to farms could be a safe bet. If you need adhoc help it's good to have something the locals may have knowledge to fix. Just my 2 cents.

-John
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #56

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
........ since no vehicle built after the late eighties/early nineties is easier to work on than any other...........
Francesca
  • So, McPherson struts are as easy to change as regular ole shock absorbers?
  • A transaxle is as easy to remove as a transmission on the back of a North / South engine?
  • Half shafts are as easy to change as a driveshaft?
  • CV joints are as simple to change as a single cardon joint?
  • It is as easy to change spark plugs on a V8 crammed under an hood than a straight six?
  • A pressed in wheel bearing is as easy to change as one with its own bolted in hub?
I could go on.........