Tow Vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Thanks for the offer, Piperjim, but we're in Alamogordo, a bit too far away for us unless we're on vacation. Will keep your offer in mind.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #16

New Mexico
Rob, I'm a bit embarrassed about having to ask, but what a T@b?

Old 07-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #17

Name: Rob
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II, #70
Montana
No worries, here is the link to their website.

T@B Teardrop Trailers

They do get a lot of attention.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Outlaw View Post
Trucks today are not like the ones of yesteryear. They are very comfortable, quiet and smooth riding and handle amazingly well for what they are. The current 2015 F150's with Eco Boost engines have tow ratings of 12,200 lbs to boot. Way overkill for folks on this forum, butů headroom to spare.
Is there anyone who would tow 12,200 pounds with a Ford F150?

I have RV friends who tow 5th wheels of that weight and would never consider an F150. Both have 250 diesels's and one is going to a 350 diesel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #19

Montana
I didn't state I recommended anyone to do this and likewise I wouldn't myself unless it was only a very short and sporadic distance. Just simply stating the ratings given the vehicle/engine combo. And as previously mentioned the ratings do provide some headroom for people with typical campers on this forum.

Its also important to note that tow weight ratings are cut in half by the DOT if a weight distribution hitch is not employed. A lot of folks do not know this.

For my own comfort zone the Oliver Elite II is about as big and heavy as I would consistently tow with my F150. Hopefully this clarifies my previous post.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
I didn't state I recommended anyone to do this and likewise I wouldn't myself unless it was only a very short and sporadic distance. Just simply stating the ratings given the vehicle/engine combo. And as previously mentioned the ratings do provide some headroom for people with typical campers on this forum.

Its also important to note that tow weight ratings are cut in half by the DOT if a weight distribution hitch is not employed. A lot of folks do not know this.

For my own comfort zone the Oliver Elite II is about as big and heavy as I would consistently tow with my F150. Hopefully this clarifies my previous post.
Rob,

I know you're well experienced, fearing what others might have thought. Many people push real hard on ratings but it's reality that counts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #21

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
...fearing what others might have thought. Many people push real hard on ratings but it's reality that counts.
Good points. We've all seen too often, people towing way too much with way too little and as the other recent thread discusses in a slopping and unsafe manner.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Thnxs for posting that Rob. I learned something!

It is amazing how much more the vehicle can tow with the addition of an aftermarket accessory or mod.

I guess the way the DOT looks at it would be that the F150 is capable of towing 6,000 lbs but with the addition of a WDH the vehicle is capable of towing double the weight. Interesting!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #23

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
It is amazing how much more the vehicle can tow with the addition of an aftermarket accessory or mod.

(snip)...with the addition of a WDH the vehicle is capable of towing double the weight. Interesting!
Oh heavens... where can I learn more aboutt WDH? And how will I find out if the Volvo hitch IS one or NEEDS one added? (This is a concern because the manual states the V70 can tow 3400 lbs with the factory hitch. If the factory hitch has WDH, I'm worried the Volvo is less "beefy" than I thought.)

Thanks,
LP
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Go to etrailer.com for all sorts of info and videos. You will be able to look up your specific vehicle and find a WDH that is made for it.
BTW, your Volvo probably has a hitch receiver, not a hitch. A hitch receiver for use with a WDH has to be a class III. I don't know what class hitch receiver you have.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I'm worried the Volvo is less "beefy" than I thought.)
Thanks,
LP
LP..... Volvo's are one of the beefiest vehicles money can by. One of my pals has an S60 5cyl sedan and has been towing a good sized trailer for many years. He has traveled all over the continent. Works good with the WDH and pro setup.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
A weight Distributing Hitch is a multi part connection. The first part is the hitch receiver on the vehicle. The factory hitch receiver may or may not support a WDH, that's a question that only Volvo can answer. And an after market hitch may have the same issue. If Volvo specifies to not use a WDH, do not override that specification.

The next part is the hitch itself which will consist of a much larger drawbar assembly and ball mount as well as a pair of long spring bars that lead back from the hitch itself and are connected, usually with a chain arrangement, to brackets on the trailer.

A warning, not all vehicles are designed to be used with a WDH, especially unit constriction vehicles, and not all trailer have frames strong enough to be used with a WDH.
Here are some images of typical WDH systems:
https://www.google.com/search?q=weig...FQhVkgodBcUPsw

And be wary if someone tells you "It is amazing how much more the vehicle can tow with the addition of an aftermarket accessory or mod." The vehicles weight specifications are an upper limit. Some mods may make it a better tow, but those weight number are cast in stone. If you think not, as I often suggest, ask your insurance agent and your lawyer before trusting that mechanic.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Some mods may make it a better tow, but those weight number are cast in stone. If you think not, as I often suggest, ask your insurance agent and your lawyer before trusting that mechanic.
So if the insurance agent and lawyer say you are good to go does that mean your rig is safe????
Old 07-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #28

New Mexico
All of this is very confusing and discouraging to the novice. MC1 makes a great point. I guess the best idea is to be sure you know total weight and tongue weight, and get a weight distribution hitch, right? Maybe? Oh, and a tow vehicle able to pull it all. And approval of lawyers and insurance agents, and of course, your know it all neighbor who always disapproves of anything you build or set up!!! Ha!

Tags
oliver