Tow Vehicle - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #99
Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Norm setup this spreadsheet that would be a big help in seeing what TV people are using to tow their trailers. A ton of good date to go through to help in your decision.

Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:31 PM   #100
Name: John
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II 23' 6"
New York
Originally Posted by George in New Mex View Post
We're new to all of this, just reading, nothing owned yet. Wife and I are considering a 17 ft. Casita or Oliver in a couple of years. We know our 4 cylinder car won't be adequate. We don't want to drive a gas hog, but do any of you have recommendations on the engine required in a tow vehicle to be able to comfortably pull such a trailer (long hauls on the interstates, up steep mountain roads, etc.? We would really appreciate recommendations.
Hi George ..... From one who owned a new 17ft Casita a few years back, buy at least a 3/4 ton rated truck , van or Suv. I had a new 2012 Ford f--150 at the time with tow package & the trailer pushed me. As sated here ... do not skimp on your tow vehicle, it could cost you your life or some one dear to you. I am not trying to scare you but If your pocket book does not allow such a tow vehicle buy a smaller trailer. I know some will not agree but until you have lost control of your Tow vehicle and slam into a guard rail at 50 MPH, Yes only 50 MPH like I did you will understand. The heavy bodied F-150 was the only thing that kept me & my wife from being killed. For only $5,000. more I now Tow with a 3500 HD Nissan cargo Van which now out weighs my Oliver 2015 23'.6 trailer buy 2,300 pounds . Now with the additional weight upfront(tow vehicle) with the heavy duty frame, engine & transmission. I feel as safe as one can be while towing a trailer that weighs in at 5,000 pounds( I had weighed). I know some here will tow at 65 MPH or faster on the interstates but I will not go faster than 55 MPH. at anytime. No matter what trailer you do decide to purchase, the xtra pennies it will cost for a more expensive tow vehicle with lower gas mileage over your life time is not really giving up too much .... when considering your safety & the ones you are responsible for keeping safe.

John Cole is offline   Reply With Quote