Tow vehicle considerations-The journey - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #61

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
While I agree with that, he was not only overweight, but the guy was doing it with a lifted 4x4 with big tires. That is a total recipe for disaster, as anybody with a lifted vehicle and half a brain will tell you.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #62

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
That anecdote - which is long on speculation and short on facts - has been discussed a few times in this forum. The earliest that I found in a quick search was Risk of Towing Beyond the Limits.

I agree with Jared's comment. Responsibility - like negligence - goes beyond a simple weight rating.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #63

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon
My tow vehicle isn't quite a classic YET but it would be hard for me to replace. I have an old (2003) Dodge 3/4 ton short bed, quad cab with a cummins diesel in it. I had it set up with decent brake controller, air bags, towing chip, good shocks, good E rated tires and such for towing a 5th wheel. Well, we downsized from the 5th wheel to a 17' Casita. I figured if it towed the 5th wheel it could handle the Casita. What I didn't expect is just how well it works for a tow for the little trailer. This truck would have a street value of around $10k, so it's relatively cheap, everything about it is cheap except an oil change.

Last weekend is a good representative outing. We towed 512 miles round trip. About average for us. Mileage was just over 20 mpg, that's a bargain even considering the surcharge for diesel (My v6 van gets about 10mpg towing). It has enough power to pass anything a sane person might need to pass. <snip> Casita doesn't add much to the wear and <snip>

I've never had to complain about too MUCH tow vehicle.
That is an impressive tow vehicle. I wish Chevy offered a short bed diesel 3/4 ton reg cab. Or a diesel Suburban.

What is your axle ratio? I assume it is 2x4...
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #64

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
That is an impressive tow vehicle. I wish Chevy offered a short bed diesel 3/4 ton reg cab. Or a diesel Suburban.

What is your axle ratio? I assume it is 2x4...
Has 3.73 gears (or something very close) and is 2x4. The 03 in the first half of the year was the most economical Dodge Cummins made I believe. It was the first common rail and didn't even have a catylitic converter. Late 03 they went to higher HP engine and of course more fuel consumption. That was the start of the diesel HP wars and economy has steadily dropped since. I wouldn't touch a new deisel with DPF and all the other emissions garbage they don't get but about half the mileage of the early 03. New ones have a bit more power but I dont need the power I have so it wouldn't do me much good. The 03-04 1/2 were just really good trucks, I was never too crazy about the models that came after that.

My dad had one of the older diesel suburbans (late 80's), it was a really good truck and got better mileage than my Dodge. I think one of the early diesel suburbans would be a fine vehicle to "refurb". Even the pre turbo models where pretty impressive with some add ons from Gale Banks, little anemic in stock trim. Dad's old sub towed a 20ft bay boat perfectly..
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #65

Connecticut
My 6.2 had the problem with cracks between the intake and exhaust valve. They said these could be repaired but I bought new ones. It was a pain replacing the heads. I would have bought a 6.5 TD but still had a sour taste about those cyl heads. I saw a 4 wheel steering Suburbsn with a Duramax in it for sale on eBay but did not want another vehicle at the moment. My aluminum camper will give me more space andi will pursue a few mileage improvements.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I first read this "urban legend" or should I say "Rural Legend" on my Apple 2E (or was it my abacus?)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #67
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course it is.
Wow, someone who actually agree's with me.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #68

Connecticut
Sad story. The lesson is to drive slow and be safe.