Tow vehicle considerations-The journey - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #41

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now we know why Ford is the #1 truck seller, what happened, did you get made at the salesman when looking at the F150's? Then you would have a matched set!!!
Truth is, there's a 1965 Ford Falcon wagon in the only parking spot left, and since it will haul just about anything an F150 will we decided to keep it instead of "completing the set"!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #42

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation Battery Discussion

The battery discussion has been isolated and closed.

Let's try to more closely observe the community rules.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #43
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
It is interesting reading all the banter regarding the "best" tow vehicle. What to do? SSR or not to SSR
To answer your question...... Mr T from Can AM recently made a statement you would be interested in reading.

"I see you have an SSR, easily the best handling and performing Chev truck I have ever towed with. Loved how it worked.
Andrew T "

Image here.....
Can a Ford Flex tow an Airstream - Page 6 - Airstream Forums
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #44

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Just remember, if you show that to your dealer, they would void your vehicle's warranty.

I did just that to several customers when I was with manufacturers.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #45
MC1

Ontario
Ya, I once heard of a guy who waxed his car and the manufacturer voided the paint warranty. I like to buy cars just out of warranty.
Less aggravations!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #46

Wisconsin
Quote:
Ya, I once heard of a guy who waxed his car and the manufacturer voided the paint warranty. I like to buy cars just out of warranty.
Less aggravations!
That is a possibility.

Newer cars use waterborne paints that are very sensitive to abrasion and chemicals. Some people purchase the extra clear coat and that has to season before waxing.

My 2008-2012 GM trucks all have tiny rust specs coming through the paint. They wash off, but always come back. Welcome to the new normal for automotive finishes.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Just remember, if you show that to your dealer, they would void your vehicle's warranty.

I did just that to several customers when I was with manufacturers.
When I buy a car, it's mine. Besides, the warranty can not be voided, only a claim which violates the warranty conditions can be refused, and it must be shown that the claim relates directly to the damage.
Now a lease gives the seller some rights!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #48

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When I buy a car, it's mine. Besides, the warranty can not be voided, only a claim which violates the warranty conditions can be refused, and it must be shown that the claim relates directly to the damage.
Now a lease gives the seller some rights!
Pulling a trailer over the vehicle's capacity is reason enough.

A dealer needs nothing more than the vehicle history (computer) and a technician's report. It is very easy to see what is abuse and what is a warranty repair.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #49
MC1

Ontario
All dealers and manufacturer's are not the same.

Our local Infiniti dealer sells and installs high performance parts.

They are installing them on cars under warranty.

Make you wonder.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
Pulling a trailer over the vehicle's capacity is reason enough.

A dealer needs nothing more than the vehicle history (computer) and a technician's report. It is very easy to see what is abuse and what is a warranty repair.
I'm guessing you just didn't read what you just quoted. Refusing a claim and voiding a warranty are two entirely different things. Even when a claim is denied, the warranty remains in effect.

Mechanics are cheaper than lawyers or even arbitration and bad publicity.
A computer can do a lot today , but it still can't weigh a trailer or prove it was the cause of a failure.
Dealer's have very little incentive to deny a claim anyway, since that is their bread and butter and a sure payment.
I was a fleet mechanic in a former life and dealt with both warranties and horrific equipment abuse on a regular basis.
While extreme, provable, and obvious abuse can lead to a claim denial,it is rare and not cause for alarm for ordinary customers in the case of minor or unintentional warranty infractions.
Most towing is done long past any warranty anyway,so...
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #51

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
All dealers and manufacturer's are not the same.

Our local Infiniti dealer sells and installs high performance parts.

They are installing them on cars under warranty.

Make you wonder.
When I was in the biz, dealers would stick aftermarket wheels and tires on our trucks and then file wheel vibration warranty claims. I shut that down when I did a tire radial / lateral run out test on one of their trucks on the lot and showed them their wheels / tires were crap.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #52

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
When I was in the biz, dealers would stick aftermarket wheels and tires on our trucks and then file wheel vibration warranty claims. I shut that down when I did a tire radial / lateral run out test on one of their trucks on the lot and showed them their wheels / tires were crap.
Interesting...I have never heard of tires being covered by a vehicle warranty, Although some dealers are also tire dealers and would cover them under their auspices.
Aftermarket wheels should be the same.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #53

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Interesting...I have never heard of tires being covered by a vehicle warranty...
Tom didn't day anything about the tire warranty - tires are indeed the only components covered directly by the component manufacturer rather than the vehicle manufacturer - he referred to claims regarding wheel vibration (which would be covered by the vehicle manufacturer), for problems caused by inferior or inappropriate tires and wheels. If your mod causes the problem, your claim should be denied.

An acquaintance told me recently that he ran wider-than-stock wheels and tires on his car, then successfully claimed that the vehicle was defective because road debris damaged the paint on the rocker panels... when he took it in with the stock wheels and tires back in place. The manufacturer paid the dealer to install mudguards. There's a name for this sort of claim: fraud.

Use your stuff any way you want, as long as you don't endanger others or expect the rest of us to pay for failures caused by exceeding the intended capacity of the equipment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #54

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
My SSR is out of warranty, so not a concern. My loaded scamp at 2800 only exceeds the 2500 pound rating by 300 pounds. The SSR frame is from a trailblazer which can tow more. The brakes, engine and transmission are all overkill. A GM engineer that worked on the SSR project claimed the towing limit was de-rated to 2500 due to the small air intake area and radiator area. The factory hitch mount is also only rated at 2500 # so that would need to be replaced with a suitable class receiver. There are several cooling system modifications that are available to aid in efficiency. Adjustable air springs in the rear could be employed to keep the rig level. I am still thinking about the lack of adequate mirrors. My first tank fuel mileage was 16MPG for mixed driving. I was having a little too much fun with the throttle! I would guess towing mpg will be around 13MPG.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Tom didn't day anything about the tire warranty - tires are indeed the only components covered directly by the component manufacturer rather than the vehicle manufacturer - he referred to claims regarding wheel vibration (which would be covered by the vehicle manufacturer), for problems caused by inferior or inappropriate tires and wheels. If your mod causes the problem, your claim should be denied.

An acquaintance told me recently that he ran wider-than-stock wheels and tires on his car, then successfully claimed that the vehicle was defective because road debris damaged the paint on the rocker panels... when he took it in with the stock wheels and tires back in place. The manufacturer paid the dealer to install mudguards. There's a name for this sort of claim: fraud.

Use your stuff any way you want, as long as you don't endanger others or expect the rest of us to pay for failures caused by exceeding the intended capacity of the equipment.
Geesh! Of course he mentioned making warranty claims based on wheels and tires...
Quote..."dealers would stick aftermarket wheels and tires on our trucks and then file wheel vibration warranty claims."
Aftermarket components of any kind (including wheels) are at least one more item which is covered by the component manufacturer and not the vehicle manufacturer.
Use your stuff any way you want, as long as you don't endanger others or expect the rest of us to pay for failures caused by your failure to upgrade to a level needed for the task at hand, never operate beyond the capacity of the equipment or your own limitations. "Intended capacity" sounds a bit amorphous to me.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
That is fair and reasonable Thomas. I am with you in that case.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #57

Registry
Quote:
That is fair and reasonable Thomas. I am with you in that case.
Of course it is.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #58

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Use your stuff any way you want, as long as you don't endanger others or expect the rest of us to pay for failures caused by your failure to upgrade to a level needed for the task at hand, never operate beyond the capacity of the equipment or your own limitations.
Sure, that's even better version.

As Russ described, he's planning to upgrade as appropriate, and not expecting a warranty to pay if he misjudges.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #59

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
My tow vehicle isn't quite a classic YET but it would be hard for me to replace. I have an old (2003) Dodge 3/4 ton short bed, quad cab with a cummins diesel in it. I had it set up with decent brake controller, air bags, towing chip, good shocks, good E rated tires and such for towing a 5th wheel. Well, we downsized from the 5th wheel to a 17' Casita. I figured if it towed the 5th wheel it could handle the Casita. What I didn't expect is just how well it works for a tow for the little trailer. This truck would have a street value of around $10k, so it's relatively cheap, everything about it is cheap except an oil change.

Last weekend is a good representative outing. We towed 512 miles round trip. About average for us. Mileage was just over 20 mpg, that's a bargain even considering the surcharge for diesel (My v6 van gets about 10mpg towing). It has enough power to pass anything a sane person might need to pass. In West Texas the speed limit is 80 on the freeway and I tow at 70 without ever having the transmission kicking out of OD. We have decent hills to climb too. The 3/4 ton trucks have bigger brakes, bigger radiators, bigger trans coolers, bigger everything that counts. Casita doesn't add much to the wear and tear (not going to void any warranty for sure). I use it for a daily driver so it saves me money again. I love having to use the mirrors to tell if the Casita is still back there.

I'm sure there are a lot of perfect tow cars and everyone is going to have a different idea of what that is.. For now an old Dodge diesel is it for me. Maybe if I ever get a diesel swapped into my old AWD Astro van or could afford the 2014 Jeep with the new Diesel, I'd change horses. Don't see that happening anytime soon.

A small 4-wheeler in the bed of the truck might be a nice addition for goofing around on some of the trails. Hmmm, I could do that! Could you do that with an SSR?

I've never had to complain about too MUCH tow vehicle. (-:}

2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #60

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy Just don't have an accident towing over rating

Proper Tow Vehicles A Must!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote