Tow vehicle for Escape 17 and 19s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: Merrill
Trailer: Escape 19 is in the works!
Oregon
Tow vehicle for Escape 17 and 19s

All, we're shopping the Escape 17 and 19. What do you use to tow your 17 or 19 and how do you feel about it? We are in the Pacific Northwest, so we'd especially appreciate input from folks who have experience towing these size trailers in the white-knuckle grades that we enjoy out here. We understand the various transmission systems and tow weights -- this is more of an inquiry to give us some ideas to jump start our tow vehicle research. Thanks!
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:28 AM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
You'll get as many answers as there are suitable vehicles. What type of vehicle do you want? New or used? Is it doing double duty as a daily driver? How many travelers?
Old 04-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
We love our Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter engine. Great daily driver and it will tow your trailer like it is not even there. I love overkill when it comes to towing.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Name: Ron M
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Merry, we have an Escape 17B and have used two different tow vehicles for our pulls from the Okanagan to southern Arizona and return. Year one we used a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0 Litre Turbo. To its credit it did the job, although there were a couple of times I noticed its tongue hanging out on the longer, hotter weather climbs in Oregon and California. This year we switched to a Nissan Frontier V6, long box, crew cab, and the difference was quite remarkable. The Nissan handled the job with ease. The one major difference, the Hyundai got much better gas mileage. The Nissan will allow you to pass most everything on the road with the exception of gas stations.
rmullinsbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #5

Name: William
Trailer: Escape
Florida
I have a 2018 17' Escape Plan A. I tow with a 2017 Chevy Colorado Crewcab V-6 eight speed transmission. Very good match. Easy to tow and no sway.
Robbins734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You are going to want more than 3,500 lb. capacity if you opt for the 19', so you really need to figure which trailer you are going to get first.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You are going to want more than 3,500 lb. capacity if you opt for the 19', so you really need to figure which trailer you are going to get first.
Someone told us we should get a tow vehicle to suit the 19, since we will want to upgrade from the 17, if we get that first. In seriousness, we'd prefer to have more towing power than less. We spend almost all of our time in the mountain west.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Someone told us we should get a tow vehicle to suit the 19, since we will want to upgrade from the 17, if we get that first.

I think that was me. Four inches wider for more space to pass one another in the aisle. A four person dinette so you can play cards or share dinner with friends on rainy evenings.

Maybe this pic will convince you. My wife and Charly cuddled in 17B dinette.
Attached Thumbnails
Charly.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbins734 View Post
I have a 2018 17' Escape Plan A. I tow with a 2017 Chevy Colorado Crewcab V-6 eight speed transmission. Very good match. Easy to tow and no sway.
I agree the Chevy Colorado would be a great vehicle for towing an Escape 17A
or for towing most 13 ft or 16 ft fiberglass trailers
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Name: Craig
Trailer: Escape 19
Tennessee
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the 8 cylinder engine to tow our 19' Escape. Does a great job and hardly know the trailer is there.

We were sold on the 17' until we walked inside the 19' which was perfect. Just enough extra space and looks more "open."
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think that was me. Four inches wider for more space to pass one another in the aisle. A four person dinette so you can play cards or share dinner with friends on rainy evenings.

Maybe this pic will convince you. My wife and Charly cuddled in 17B dinette.
LOL - I thought it might be you! We visited ETI last weekend and after much discussion, have decided on the 19. Part of the reason -- we need more cuddle space available for our 50lb Brittany spaniel, so the picture is especially apt.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
We love our Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 liter engine. Great daily driver and it will tow your trailer like it is not even there. I love overkill when it comes to towing.
What year is your Jeep GC? Has it been reliable for you?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Our Grand is comfortable, reliable and very strong. It was kinda pricey but we’re glad we have it. The bells and whistles are great.
It is a 2014.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:47 AM   #14

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Lots of good tow vehicles out there. I believe bigger is better and don't worry much about gas mileage. We tow our 17ft Casita with a 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 with a Vortec 6.0 engine. I also have the 4.10 rear end. Mileage w/o trailer is 14 to 16 mpg.....mileage w/trailer is 13 to 15 mph. The truck really doesn't know the trailer is back there. I have towed most roads in Oregon....been up and down the coast dozens of times and seen a lot of miles in the Eastern part of the state. I use the truck for towing a car trailer as well....have towed cars, tractors and mostly horse drawn vehicles all over the Western states. The truck can handle the payload but...as mentioned....mileage isn't great. I like having the power when needed. Good luck in your search.....safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #15

Name: Val
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Smile Tow vehicle for Escape 21

Saw an Escape 21 on a lot in Sequim WA today. Asked salesperson what sort of vehicle could pull it. He said my Pilot could do the job nicely. The 21 weighed 4000 lbs. Might have been tempted but will stick with my Scamp 15!
valtangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #16
GRT

Name: George
Trailer: Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
Our Grand is comfortable, reliable and very strong. It was kinda pricey but we’re glad we have it. The bells and whistles are great.
It is a 2014.
As for reliability at a price you can afford, I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0 6 cylinder motor and automatic and it is rated at 5000Lb towing capacity. If you keep up with the scheduled maintenance, I will probably never break down. Rated by Automobile magazine as one of the 20 best vehicles ever made. Having owned this one since it was new, I find that to be a fair assessment. I have put 130,000 miles on it towing a 17' Bigfoot and a variety of Desert race cars in the dirt, and it has never complained once...And, if you look around, you can find a nice one for under 6 grand.

Think about the bonus that once you get where you are going you have a very capable 4WD vehicle at your disposal.

GRT
GRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler
I have a 2017 Land Rover Discovery 5 with the diesel engine (450 ft-lbs of torque) that does great towing my 17' Escape. I got 23 mpg bringing it back to Atlanta from Orlando. My previous tow vehicle, a Land Rover LR3 with a 4.4 liter V-8 was also a really good tow vehicle but didn't get nearly as good mileage - more along the 12-15 mpg range towing a heavy trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3943.jpg  
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape