Tow vehicle is a motorcycle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: Manuel
Trailer: In the market
MI
Tow vehicle is a motorcycle

I have all but completely decided to get the lightest camper and tongue weight for a motorcycle. I've found that the compact Jr. By Hunter to be the one. Wondering if I can get some real world experience on this topic. I found a lady who does this with a little rascal teardrop and she says she has no problems. Thinking and hoping to do the same but with a full on camper. This is her video....
https://youtu.be/5Mnq1KWNByk
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I've made comments on another thread. I think this is a terrible idea. Of course she says she has had no problems. People who get injured or worse doing stupid stuff rarely put up you tube videos.

Again, I have towed a variety of trailers behind my motorcycle for over 400,000 miles, in multiple countries, in all kinds of weather, without incident (I've ridden about double that amount). At the same time, no motorcycle is rated for towing (try to find tongue weight limit and towing capacity from manufacturers on any motorcycle). So any towing of any trailer you are on your own! How far out you want to go on such a limb is up to you.

We have had discussions here where certain CARS were not suitable/capable of towing a Hunter Jr. Weights in the real world will give you some good information in that regard.

A rule of thumb some people use is to limit towing to half the motorcycle weight. Again, no motorcycle is rated to tow anything, so this is just a rule of thumb, and not some scientific figure.

Personally, I do not base my decisions on what some other people do, as there is no shortage of stupid people doing stupid stuff.

Motorcycles are a riskier forms of travel. The statistics speak for themselves. Adding MORE risk to it is one of those personal decisions each of us have to make. I have made the decision to accept some additional risk by towing a trailer that was designed to be pulled behind a motorcycle, and one that is narrow (Escapade trailer). I have also towed a popup camper, Bunkhouse trailer, designed to pull behind a motorcycle, also relatively narrow. I only carry light stuff, and I am careful in what I load into the trailer. I can tell you, the difference in the Escapade and the Bunkhouse is night and day towing wise. I much, much, much prefer the Escapade, so on longer trips (anything over 500 miles or so), the Bunkhouse stays at home. Meanwhile, I have done up to 15,000 trips with the Escapade.

How much motorcycle towing experience do you have right now? Miles, weather, terrain, steep grades, etc.

bill
MSF Instructor
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow vehicle is a motorcycle

Can any motorcycle tow 1500# with 150-175# tongue weight?

Consider aerodynamic resistance, too. Wind drag is related to the frontal area and shape of the trailer. A Hunter will catch a lot more wind than the teardrop and its shape is a box.

When side winds hit, sway can result due to the size differential between trailer and tow vehicle, which in this case is exaggerated. Sway on a 4-wheeled tow vehicle is bad, but with a 2-wheeled vehicle it could put you on the pavement in a heartbeat.

Can a motorcycle be outfitted with an electric brake controller? Without trailer brakes you will not be able to stop this rig in a hurry or manage sway.

And last, even if this were physically possible- which I do not believe for a moment, won't it sap all the fun out of riding?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #4

Registry
Bushtec, a popular source for motorcycle trailer hitches:

70 pound tongue weight limit
350 pound trailer weight limit

Can you find a motorcycle hitch that has the capacity for a Hunter Jr, or even that teardrop in that video?

Hunter Jr is going to have a tongue weight of around 200 pounds and a trailer weight of 1400 to 1600 pounds.

Braking is the first problem I have experienced pulling a trailer. It does take longer to stop, a lot longer. And the entire time, the trailer is pushing the back of the motorcycle. Better be in perfect alignment. With two wheels if you are not in alignment the risk of crash is high.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #5

Name: Lee
Trailer: Hunter compact
Montana
I have a hunter compact and a motorcycle...... I tow the hunter with a ford f150.
Lee in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #6

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
Tow Vehicle

NO towing a camper trailer such as that JR. Or ANY for that matter.....
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What kind of mirrors would you use?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
What kind of mirrors would you use?
Yes a Bunkhouse (designed to pull behind a motorcycle) is less than 3 ft wide whereas a Hunter is about 6 to 6 1/2 ft wide.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I have all but completely decided to get the lightest camper and tongue weight for a motorcycle. I've found that the compact Jr. By Hunter to be the one. Wondering if I can get some real world experience on this topic. I found a lady who does this with a little rascal teardrop and she says she has no problems. Thinking and hoping to do the same but with a full on camper. This is her video....
I strongly anybody just starting to tow a travel trailer look at this thread. It's an eye opener. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I like your imagination but a Hunter pushes the envelope too far. As for motorcycles, check out the Ural 2wd. Be safe out there. Click image for larger version

Name:	5baefd09fbb3d62c197a1645.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	125350Click image for larger version

Name:	img_ural_patrol_t_2.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	125351
Watch "Helga's Russian Ural 2008 Gear-Up Military Custom Trailer" on YouTube https://youtu.be/KJGGoDMdPig
Interesting fact from the video; The trialer weighed in at 672lbs which the Washington Safety patrol said that was the largest trailer they had ever seen pulled by a motorcycle.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you disagree with this concept that is just fine. State reasons why and move on. I deleted a bunch of rude and insulting posts from folks just piling on. Please be courteous, despite any objections you may have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
motorcycle trailer

Manuel I am not entering into the should you shouldn't you side of this topic , just providing information. I suggest you check into the Runaway teardrop trailer site. They make a teardrop specifically for motorcycles. The stated weight is 520 lbs , they have been in business for some time and appear to have a reasonable good product. are reasonable priced and might meet your needs. Since they make a unit specifically for motorcycles they should also be knowledgeable about their use and could possibly connect you with some who have purchased the motorcycle teardrop so you could garner information as to towing with a motorcycle. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the motorcycle camp trailers I've seen have been popup tent style, and have minimal tongue weight, like 25 lbs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #14

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
You have seen this one :

https://heliovr.com/micro-travel-trailer/
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My friend was out on his Royal Star Venture... nice heavy bike... going 60 mph on the highway, when a large dog ran out in front of him. He hit the dog, no choice. Any lighter bike and he might have been hurt pretty badly, but the Venture stayed upright. I can't imagine that scenario with 1500 lbs, or even 1000 lbs, in tow. Splat! I could see a Lee-sure Lite with a motorcycle, but for anything larger I'd at least get a Prius and drive with the windows down.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #16

MI
No I haven't seen that one... looks like something that could work as well thank you.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #17

MI
I have no experience what so ever towing with a motorcycle. Just what I have heard
Old 10-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post

they sure are sketchy on their specifications... apparently the He3S model is 369 lbs EMPTY without any options, no clue as to GWR, the He3C model with a few more accessories is 575 lbs empty without options.

I had a BMW R1100RS touring bike for 20 years, it weighed under 600 lbs wet with luggage, not sure I would have wanted to pull a trailer over 300 lbs with it. yes, I know, full dresser Harleys and such weigh more like 800-1000 lbs.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #19

MI
I really don't know how much it would effect my ride. But I do know I like putting miles on the highway but I don't think I would enjoy trying to set up a tent in the middle of the night and not to mention being able to sleep well. Hotels or motels can ad up and can sometimes it self be a hassle. In any event I am glad to be getting feedback and thoughts that people have. Probably the Hunter Jr. Will just be to much so I'll continue to find another route. Maybe bunkhouse pop-up tent is a realistic option.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #20

MI
Ya a car is not really a route I'm willing to go. I do very much enjoy riding cross country on a motorcycle I don't believe there is a better way to do it.