Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 AM   #15

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
I tow my 19 foot Bigfoot with my Nissan Frontier... It's a 2007 Nismo 4 x 4 V6 and I love it! I haven't seen any other truck on the market that I would buy instead. My mechanic always says it's really well-built and it's been very reliable in the 11 years I've owned it

V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I saw a Ridgeline (really a modified SUV) towing a Scamp19 using a beautiful custom designed hitch. It even allowed for access to the in-bed trunk.
If you like the Tacoma, the box material is no hindrance to the hitch, but I think the Nissan Frontier would be your best choice for a Japanese brand.

Thank you for not choosing American brand trucks, that will help keep the price down when I go to buy my new Ranger... providing there are still more like you out there.

My two top choices will be the new Ranger or keeping my 18YO Ranger which has towed my Scamp and lots of other trailers since new and still looks and does well.
The real competition for the new Ford Ranger is the Chevy Colorado / GMC Colorado . I know people who own / drive Tacoma’s / Frontiers . They were purchased as commuter vehicles that looked like a truck not as a work / tow vehicles . The new Rangers will work well for commuting and as a tow vehicle
A totally different market IMHO

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #17

Arizona
Registry
HA, Steve! Of course there are always bigger and more powerful trucks than the Tacomas and Frontiers, but these are hardly "commute" vehicles - my Nissan Frontier has a very beefy frame and off-road suspension with a 6,100 lb tow capacity, which is excellent for its size. It has hauled so many heavy loads of building and landscaping materials over the 11 years I have owned it - never an issue. I just replaced the shocks and struts last month, after 104,000 miles.

As far as "buying American," my Nissan truck was built in TN, U.S.A, and has as many U.S.-based components as it can, given that many U.S. manufacturing companies chose to move their production to other countries decades ago. So your so-called "American brands" are not necessarily any more "American" than Nissan or Toyota at this point. I bought my truck knowing that, because it was built in TN, it was employing Americans at decent wages for their labor.

In my opinion, people should buy whatever truck they most feel drawn to and can afford. There is no reason to malign anyone else's choice of vehicle and that is not the purpose of these forums.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by V'sGlassSleeper View Post
HA, Steve! Of course there are always bigger and more powerful trucks than the Tacomas and Frontiers, but these are hardly "commute" vehicles - my Nissan Frontier has a very beefy frame and off-road suspension with a 6,100 lb tow capacity, which is excellent for its size. It has hauled so many heavy loads of building and landscaping materials over the 11 years I have owned - never an issue. I just replaced the shocks and struts last month, after 104,000 miles.

As far as "buying American," my Nissan truck was built in TN, U.S.A, and has as many U.S.-based components as it can, given that many U.S. manufacturing companies chose to move their manufacturing to other countries decades ago. So your so-called "American brands" are not necessarily any more "American" than Nissan at this point. I bought my truck knowing that, because it was built in TN, it was employing Americans at decent wages for their labor.

In my opinion, people should buy whatever truck they most feel drawn to and can afford. There is no reason to malign anyone else's choice of vehicle and that is not the purpose of these forums.
Notice I said "American brand".
Ford was building trucks when Aichi was only known for $2 imitations of American clocks. (I have a couple and love them)
Ford has a proud legacy which has produced a durable and reciprocal loyalty for generations.

I Love this early Datsun with no apps in the dash...
s
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
We tow a Scamp 16 with a Nissan Frontier V6 auto trans and it works very well. The Frontier has a very comfortable ride but wins no contests on gas mileage. Engine braking downhill is well balanced for the Scamp 16 but I would not want to pull anything much heavier with it. I tend to put a fair amount of gear in the back of the pickup in addition to the trailer so if you tow the 19 without a lot of extra gear in the pickup the weight might not be that much different. I’m not sure of the weight difference between 16 and 19 Scamp.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 AM   #20

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by V'sGlassSleeper View Post
I tow my 19 foot Bigfoot with my Nissan Frontier... It's a 2007 Nismo 4 x 4 V6 and I love it! I haven't seen any other truck on the market that I would buy instead. My mechanic always says it's really well-built and it's been very reliable in the 11 years I've owned it

I like V6 in some trucks and light weight trailers like scamp. You can get over 15 mpg with that.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:24 AM   #21

Arizona
Registry
It does very well, although my Bigfoot is probably much heavier than a Scamp, so I haven't seen 15 miles per gallon, but more like 12 to 13 miles per gallon towing. Not towing, 17 to 21 mph, depending on conditions. Unlike Doug, I don't load anything in the truck bed and never tow with water in the tanks. It never feels overpowered or unsafe. The 19 Bigfoot and Frontier seem nicely paired, and I imagine that might be true for any truck with a similar wheelbase, suspension and tow capacity.
I will say that if I could find a Honda Pilot with a beefy enough frame and suspension and high enough tow capacity (the AWD goes to a max of 4,500 or 5,000 lbs., I think...which is not enough of a safety margin for me), that would be my dream vehicle. The interior is much more roomy, the ride is superb and the steering is very responsive, and it gets decent gas mileage. Alas, my Bigfoot is too heavy for all the Honda Pilot trim models.
There are some other lovely high-tow capacity SUVs (Ford Expedition and Nissan Armada to name two) but they don't get very good gas mileage and even used, their price tag is beyond my humble budget. Thus, my Frontier is a happy medium...nothing fancy but it's strong and reliable.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #22

Name: Jason&Chelsea
Trailer: 88 Scamp Fifth Wheel Deluxe
North Carolina
We tow a 1988 Scamp 5th wheel with a 2014 Frontier king cab SV V6 4x4 and have had no issues with it so far. Tows the camper easily (though you certainly know it's there over bumps and under high winds) and the long bed offers plenty of room, though we did install a slider hitch for extra clearance on any sharp turns we might encounter. The crew cab with the 5' bed might be a bit short for the application, but they do make some crew cab Frontiers with 6' beds. Averaging 14mpg under mostly 2wd driving so far.
Hipposcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
re: Tacoma and fiberglass bed.... a 5th wheel load bearing hitch should be bolted to the frame under the bed, so it really doesn't matter if the bed is plastic.

re; tacomas and towing, the rear end on a stock tacoma /is/ pretty softly sprung, adding the Firestone Ride-Rite airbag kit will firm it up nicely when you're towing, and still let you run it soft when you're driving around unladen. a gen 2 Tacoma (2005-2015) with the 4.0L V6 and 6-speed manual makes a particularly good tow ... and the TRD Off Road versions are great fun once your trailer is parked, and you're out exploring dirt roads.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #24

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
Looks like you've got positive feedback on a bunch of options.

I'm the guy with the bolt in hitch Jack referred to in post #5. Its worked well in two different Tacomas, an 05 and a 12. Both double cab 4WD TRDs. The composite bed is not an issue and you don't need a shop, special tools or even much mechanical ability to fab this up. Let me know if you need any details.

John (post #23) is right about the air bags. The shop manager at my Toyota dealership agrees with Jack and John about the 4.0 being a better tow solution. John is also right about the TRD being fun in the outback; Maybe not jeep level fun but it ain't bad.

Good luck and post back with your decision.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #25

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Looks like you've got positive feedback on a bunch of options.

I'm the guy with the bolt in hitch Jack referred to in post #5. Its worked well in two different Tacomas, an 05 and a 12. Both double cab 4WD TRDs. The composite bed is not an issue and you don't need a shop, special tools or even much mechanical ability to fab this up. Let me know if you need any details.

John (post #23) is right about the air bags. The shop manager at my Toyota dealership agrees with Jack and John about the 4.0 being a better tow solution. John is also right about the TRD being fun in the outback; Maybe not jeep level fun but it ain't bad.

Good luck and post back with your decision.
I also added the Firestone Air Bags, and really like them. Toyota issued several service documents about rear springs on the Tacoma being soft and after several conversations with the dealer and factory, Toyota replaced them with heavier ones at no charge.
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 PM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
Thanks!

This is all very helpful! Thanks for sharing -- I'm still doing my research, so feel free to keep chiming in!
Ottoscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 AM   #27

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

Thank you for not choosing American brand trucks, that will help keep the price down when I go to buy my new Ranger... providing there are still more like you out there.

Some truth here, although its more about the used market pricing and less about new truck pricing. On the used market, I found my money went a lot farther with a US brand truck. I bought my five year old, 12,000 mile, F150 for half of what the seller paid for it new. Talk about depreciation. I have since put another 90,000 miles on it. Now if you buy new, the Japanese brands tend to hold value better so you don't take a bath on resale.

I tend to keep trucks a long time, kept my last one (bought used) for 13 years, so getting in at a lower price (high depreciation) gives me a better starting point.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #28

Name: Al
Trailer: 19D Front bath Scamp
North Carolina
Thanks for the info on the Firestone bags Jack. I've been thinking of adding those but just haven't done so yet. I've had Toyota replace the springs on both Tacomas under their TSB program at no charge but they still seem to bottom out to easily even without the Scamp.

I'm looking forward to seeing Jeep's entry into the mid-size truck market next Spring with their Gladiator. That might well be the replacement for the Tacoma.

Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp