Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #29

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I really like my Tacoma TRD Off Road model. It's an 07 with only 75,000 miles, so I will continue to use it for a few more years. As much as I love this truck, I would not buy a new Tacoma because of the smaller engine.

Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #30

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Some truth here, although its more about the used market pricing and less about new truck pricing. On the used market, I found my money went a lot farther with a US brand truck. I bought my five year old, 12,000 mile, F150 for half of what the seller paid for it new. Talk about depreciation. I have since put another 90,000 miles on it. Now if you buy new, the Japanese brands tend to hold value better so you don't take a bath on resale.

I tend to keep trucks a long time, kept my last one (bought used) for 13 years, so getting in at a lower price (high depreciation) gives me a better starting point.
What I don't like is taking a bath on the new sale, so I have never paid retail new.
Its ironic ain't it? The trucks least liked by the owners get the most on resale? If that is still true of course, the resale on my Ranger is still more than a third of what I paid new 18 years ago.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #31

Name: Henry
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Those with the highest resale are least liked? My Tundra has high resale value and has a high customer satisfaction.
Rzrbrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #32

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Those with the highest resale are least liked? My Tundra has high resale value and has a high customer satisfaction.
So if they like them so much, why not keep them, obviating resale?
I was of course kidding, nobody actually buys new Tundras anymore anyway.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM   #33

Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Registry
The Tacoma has had a well earned reputation for quality but there are a lot of serious complaints in the recent past that many people overlook. I have always liked the Tacoma but I chose not to purchase a new one because of complaints of the underpowered new engine (and the awkwardly low seating position and the scare of the rusting frames turned me off). I thought the Nissan was a nice truck but I did not purchase one of those either. In the midsize truck segment it is the oldest model with mostly unremarkable features and gas mileage. The Ford Ranger is not out yet (almost) and has good specs, but unlike Floyd, I am not confident in the longterm viability of a turbo 4 cylinder. I owned an 87 Ranger and loved it, but if I were you I'd be anxious about running a turbo all the time.
I bought a Colorado this past spring (I owned a first generation Canyon for 14 years). The current chevy/GMC trucks are nice, capable and well built. The new generation is certainly bigger than the older ones but it's comparable to the tacoma and Ridgeline. I love my Colorado and it tows beautifully. Don't discount them just because they are domestic.
But everyone has their own opinions and priorities...
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
...I thought the Nissan was a nice truck but I did not purchase one of those either. In the midsize truck segment it is the oldest model with mostly unremarkable features and gas mileage...
Anyone buying a Scamp clearly prefers evolutionary over revolutionary change.

By that measure, Scamp + Frontier is a perfect match...

Guess that describes me because "unremarkable features" are exactly what I shop for. Give me a simple 3-dial climate control, manual seat adjustment, and skip the touch screen display and complex safety sensing suite. When you keep a vehicle 10-15 years, the fewer things to go wrong, the better.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #35

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I was of course kidding, nobody actually buys new Tundras anymore anyway.
I’ve noticed that also . When traveling around in our area I see a ton of trucks running around but very few toyotas . If I see two in a month’s time that’s a lot .
Ford F-150 is the dominant truck up here mainly cause the two main occupations in our area are logging and farming
(Work Trucks)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sad reality... Vehicles that sell poorly are dumped in rental fleets... and subprime markets, including Native reservations where I live. A few years ago Jeep Patriots were flying out of local dealers, and before that Dodge Avengers.

Lately Toyota is ruling the local subprime market, selling iA sedans (not a bad vehicle, but way too small for how it's used), and... wait for it... Tundra trucks, lots of them. Problem is having to choose between making that huge subprime loan payment or buying gas. At least reliability is better than the pre-FCA Chrysler products.

Work trucks continue to be dominated by diesels from the Big 3, though local Game & Fish has been buying Tundra 4x4's recently. Haven't asked how they're holding up in hard fleet service.

We're getting way off-topic here, but I sense the original question has played out...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #37

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
You can't swing a Dead Cat around here without hitting a Tundra so it must be a regional thing too?

I also know that construction and union workers in general still resist anything foreign regardless of where it is made and so on construction sites there have never been nor will there ever be a lot of non domestic trucks.

Again I have owned plenty of both and only the Toyota have been super reliable for me.
Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #38

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
You can't swing a Dead Cat around here without hitting a Tundra so it must be a regional thing too?

I also know that construction and union workers in general still resist anything foreign regardless of where it is made and so on construction sites there have never been nor will there ever be a lot of non domestic trucks.

Again I have owned plenty of both and only the Toyota have been super reliable for me.
Still, only the Titan sells fewer trucks and together they are a small fraction of the leader, but then the Tundra is hardly mid sized and the Tacoma is pretty much fullsized!
its all a blur
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #39

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
We looked at all the small trucks to replace our 2000 F150, but the back seats were just too small for our adult children to ride along with us. So, we looked at used full size trucks, but dang they hold their resale value. Ended up with a new F150 (2.7EB 4x4 STX) for not much more than used ones. Mileage is similar to the small trucks mentioned in this thread (15ish pulling the scamp, 17-23 without the scamp) and there is tons of room.

Biggest problem: forgetting the trailer is there.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:39 PM   #40

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
We looked at all the small trucks to replace our 2000 F150, but the back seats were just too small for our adult children to ride along with us. So, we looked at used full size trucks, but dang they hold their resale value. Ended up with a new F150 (2.7EB 4x4 STX) for not much more than used ones. Mileage is similar to the small trucks mentioned in this thread (15ish pulling the scamp, 17-23 without the scamp) and there is tons of room.

Biggest problem: forgetting the trailer is there.
Great choice Congratulations !!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #41

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Great choice Congratulations !!!!
I really wanted a Tacoma, but the back seat just wasn't really inviting for taking high school students on a long trip. Now that we have all that space we fill it up, so I don't think downsizing is an option.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:19 PM   #42

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
I really wanted a Tacoma, but the back seat just wasn't really inviting for taking high school students on a long trip. Now that we have all that space we fill it up, so I don't think downsizing is an option.
One of the reasons we bought a Ram 1500 Quad cab is so our dog could ride comfortably . We looked at mid size trucks but we felt it was unfair to subject our dog to the cruelty of riding in a space too small for him to turn around .
The back seat of the quad cab is big enough for our younger grandkids but too small for an average size adult
Next time probably a crew cab

Tags
scamp