Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
ShelbyM's Avatar
 
Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Posts: 346
It's amazing how nice 1/2 ton pickups have become. I'm on my 2nd F150 supercrew. My brother in law has a Chrysler 300 which is considered a full sized sedan. The F150 has more room in the backseat, the front seats are more comfortable and it's just as quiet. Not to mention all the room in the bed and the ability to pull a trailer.
__________________

ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Still, only the Titan sells fewer trucks and together they are a small fraction of the leader, but then the Tundra is hardly mid sized and the Tacoma is pretty much fullsized!
its all a blur
That is true enough!
I had a current gen Tundra but it really was so honkin' huge that I got rid of it.
I still have the 1st gen though and love it at just the right size for me still.
Somehow the Taco seems bigger ow than my Tundra.
__________________

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 7,338
Registry
It's not just trucks. I was just observing the new crop of subcompact SUV's (Ecosport, Trax, HR-V, CX-3, C-HR, Kicks and a few more whose alphanumeric names elude me) are about the size of the original RAV-4, CR-V, and Escape CUV's, while the current versions of the original "cute-utes" have moved from compact to mid-sized. A Civic is bigger than an Accord was just a few years ago. We passed on a 2013 Sienna minivan to replace our 2000 because it was so big.

Vehicles are like their occupants. They get bigger over time.

Unfortunately, parking spaces have not grown with them. It's like airplanes: passengers are expanding, and the seats are contracting.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
That is true enough!
I had a current gen Tundra but it really was so honkin' huge that I got rid of it.
I still have the 1st gen though and love it at just the right size for me still.
Somehow the Taco seems bigger ow than my Tundra.
I have only seen a few tundras and they were all just normal “truck” size
Is there a tundra model that is larger than normal ( IE honking huge) ?
I have not seen this option with Ford , Chevy or Ram
I know the new 2019 Ram is wider, with more leg / seat room than the previous versions . That is one of the main reasons we passed on the 2018 version of the Ram 1500
Chevy in 2020 will have a separate body design for their 2500 truck
The Chevy 2500 will have more interior room than the Chevy 1500 plus some trim differences .
Something else to look forward to!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #47
Member
 
Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Posts: 56
2017 1/2 ton truck sales:

YTD 2017 #
Ford F-Series 896,764
Chevrolet Silverado 585,864
Ram 500,723
GMC Sierra 217,943
Toyota Tundra 116,285
Nissan Titan 52,924
__________________
Tom and Linda
ATHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,883
Tow Vehicle (mid-size PU) for 19' Scamp 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have only seen a few tundras and they were all just normal “truck” size
Is there a tundra model that is larger than normal ( IE honking huge) ?
I have not seen this option with Ford , Chevy or Ram
I know the new 2019 Ram is wider, with more leg / seat room than the previous versions . That is one of the main reasons we passed on the 2018 version of the Ram 1500
Chevy in 2020 will have a separate body design for their 2500 truck
The Chevy 2500 will have more interior room than the Chevy 1500 plus some trim differences .
Something else to look forward to!!


Tundra originally like Dodge Dakota sort of mid sized.
That ship sailed wit the current Tundra
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #49
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Tundra originally like Dodge Dakota sort of mid sized.
That ship sailed wit the current Tundra
My son has owned two Dakotas . They worked well for him but they always felt cramped or claustrophobic to me. Like I said before , we looked at Ford Rangers.
My wife took one look at the interior and said NO !!
She felt it was too small for man or beast . I had to agree
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #50
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My son has owned two Dakotas . They worked well for him but they always felt cramped or claustrophobic to me. Like I said before , we looked at Ford Rangers.

My wife took one look at the interior and said NO !!

She felt it was too small for man or beast . I had to agree


The 1st Gen Tundra was bigger than Dakota but slightly smaller than full size Domestic too.
I love mine!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: Lite House
Minnesota
Posts: 256
Registry
The T-100 was closer to Dakota size than the Tundra.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
The T-100 was closer to Dakota size than the Tundra.
Maybe true but the original Tundy was not really full sized either.
Sure not like the current ones!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,949
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Maybe true but the original Tundy was not really full sized either.
Sure not like the current ones!
It kinda looked like the chassis was too small for the body.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #54
Member
 
Lyle Brunson's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp 2008 Custom Deluxe 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 33
Height is an important consideration when matching a fifth wheel trailer to a truck. It is often a problem when matching an older trailer to a newer truck.

Newer trucks are taller than older trucks. Four wheel drive trucks are sometimes taller than two wheel drive.

If the truck is too tall, there may be inadequate clearance between the trailer and the sidewall of the truck bed. It will tow nose high, and have an effect on weight distribution.

Scamp fits risers to the frame of a trailer at the factory to match the original buyers truck.
Lyle Brunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #55
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Posts: 1,350
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Brunson View Post
Height is an important consideration when matching a fifth wheel trailer to a truck. It is often a problem when matching an older trailer to a newer truck.

Newer trucks are taller than older trucks. Four wheel drive trucks are sometimes taller than two wheel drive..
and newer truck sides are often higher above the bed, too. classic 'box' trucks, the sidewalls and tailgate are 19" off the bed, my 02 'superduty', they are 21" high.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #56
Junior Member
 
nefldiver's Avatar
 
Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Posts: 26
Registry
V8 power

The Scamp 5th wheel ranges from 2000 to 2600 lb empty. With the usual assortment of junk people put in them you can easily go 500 lb more. Ridgeline, Colorado, and Tacomas towing capacity starts at 3500 or so pounds and goes up I assume with the V6 option. If I were pulling that much weight I would want a V8. Cost of a full size truck is going to weigh 5 to 6,000 pounds which is important when it comes to stopping 3000 pounds of trailer. They wear and tear will be greatly reduced because it will not be working near the peak of its output like a smaller engine will be. I've heard the Nissan full size truck is a gas
__________________

nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mid-80's Uhaul in Mid-Michigan.. john madill Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 08-16-2016 06:18 PM
NC to MT suggestions - Mid Sept to Mid Oct Al and Cindy K General Chat 11 08-09-2016 10:01 AM
Tow Vehicle for Scamp 5th Wheel mike gillespie Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 14 03-25-2011 05:45 AM
2007 Scamp 5th Wheel (With or Without tow vehicle) Chuck Szuch Classified Archives 1 04-12-2010 07:23 AM
2000 Scamp 5th-wheel w/Tow Vehicle $14,000 George Cathcart Classified Archives 1 05-06-2009 01:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.