Tow vehicle options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
We are picking up our new Escape on 14th October. Bought Reace's Demo trailer, and we are having it raised 2 1/2 inches - he is also removing the gaucho bed as there are just the two of us planning to travel starting next year.

We are presently driving an ancient 89 Trooper 2.6 litre 4 banger 4x 4 automatic, which will pull it to the ferry on level roads and probably not too much further, we live near Victoria.

We have looked at several tow vehicles: The Ford Escape/Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sorento/ Suzuki Grand Vitara - all with 2.7 - 3.5 litre V-6's and rated at 3500# towing capacity. We are hoping to cut back to one vehicle and would like reasonable fuel economy for ski trips and other use beyond camping.

The Escape trailer weighs about 2100 pounds dry, perhaps a bit less after pulling the gaucho. So after gear, say 500# and towing with empty or nearly empty tanks we would be pushing 2600#, well below the #3500 limit of the above vehicles.

Several people have suggested we move up in size to the Ford Explorer, Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra which have a 5000# tow rating or a Toyota-Mazda-Nissan mid-size pickup.

Perusing this and the Casita isite, most members with 16-17' Casitas/Scamps/Escape's are driving full size 4x4 SUV's. pickups , "Egg Vans", Ford Explorers, Chevy Blazers or similar vehicles. The Liberty CRD diesel looks interesting, but they are hard come by and they are not being sold in 2007, learned they are putting a bigger more advanced diesel in for '08.

I am quite accustomed to a lower powered vehicle, we always get there. Does anyone tow 17" trailers with the smaller 4 x 4 SUV's? Your input please.
Gerry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
I am quite accustomed to a lower powered vehicle, we always get there. Does anyone tow 17" trailers with the smaller 4 x 4 SUV's? Your input please:
Buy a Toyota. My last Toyota pick up, which I gave to my oldest grandson last year, has over 400000 miles on it. I put one clutch in it, several brake jobs and timing belts in it. The only other expenses were oil changes and tune ups.
The Toyota Tacoma with the V-6 will more than do the job for you. You may pay a little more as Toyota very seldoms has rebates, they do not have to bribe you to buy their vehicles, but you will more than make up for it in the resale value of the vehicle.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Gerry, there are a number of things to consider, among them: what kind of travelling do you do? Lots of off-road adventures after you park, or just an occasional sight-seeing cruise down the boulevard? Recognize that you may actually get better gas mileage towing with a mid-size V8 than a 6 cylinder because the engine doesn't work as hard. How many people will you need to seat in your vehicle? Do you ever take friends to dinner? How much and what kind of cargo will you carry? Messy, smelly things are better carried outside in a covered pickup bed. To what use will you put your tow vehicle when you're not towing? Is it the family car that you haul the grandkids around with?

Smaller is better when you're buying a commuter car. Bigger is better buying a tow vehicle. Wheelbase is everything, the longer the better when towing, and there's no substitute for cubic inches when travelling to parts unknown. You really need to consider all of the issues I talked about above when deciding what body configuration best fits your needs.

I tow my 17' Bigfoot with my 6cyl Toyota Tundra access cab 4x4. I need a pickup to carry 'stuff' for working on an apartment building, and it's also my daily driver. I specifically bought a 6cyl Tundra for the fuel economy, but if I had it to do again, I'd probably have bought a crew cab V8 model. The mileage between the two isn't that different. The Tundra is the best riding vehicle we own. I tow my Bigger Bigfoot (a 25') with our Excursion, which serves as the family truckster when we need to go somewhere with lots of folks. My wife commutes 40 miles each way daily and drives a Honda Civic. Needless to say, it doesn't have a hitch!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had the very same dilema when deciding on a new vehicle recently. I tossed around the same small SUV ideas like you (Escape/CRV/Grand Vitara etc) Similar to you, I was looking for a daily driver as well.

I currently tow with a Honda Element and a 13 footer, but am looking to upgrade the trailer in the future.

I still have the Element, but I ended up with a new Jeep Liberty. It has a 5k rating when properly equipped. Very comfortable as a daily driver and rock solid (It's a Jeep) I am not really thrilled with the milage, but other than that, I think I found a good compromise for all.

Haven't towed with it yet. Thats what the Element is for currently. The Jeep is too new and I won't use it unless I get a bigger rig, or the Element is no longer a good reliable tug. (With a Honda, that should be next century sometime)

Have you considered the Pilot? If you are rich, a Ridgeline?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hello,

I'm pulling my Escape with a Honda Pilot. It's rated for 4500# and I'm certainly not having any problems. I think it's a 'mid-size' SUV.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Buy a Toyota. My last Toyota pick up, which I gave to my oldest grandson last year, has over 400000 miles on it. I put one clutch in it, several brake jobs and timing belts in it. The only other expenses were oil changes and tune ups.

John
My favorite ad, "If you buy a Toyota you had better like the color, cuz you'll have it for a long time". I've owned 5 of them and all over 200,000 miles and a 1991Previa that I gave to my son with 335,000 miles on it, not $2500.00 bucks repair in the 5 total other than expected maintenance. I have a 2001 V-8 Tundra now and not nuts about the mileage but it has 93,000 and no problems, I've never known the service manager on a first name basis at any Toyota dealership and to me that means a lot.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Are four wheel drive or "SUV" (whatever that means to you) requirements? Most vehicles classified as "minivans" also have 3500 lb towing capacity, and lots of use with 16' to 17' eggs tow with them. My Boler B1700RGH is about 3000 lb loaded for travel, and we tow it quite satisfactorily with a Toyota Sienna.

If all the wheels need to be driven, the Sienna (and some others) are available that way.

Fuel consumption will be higher with a typical "minivan" than with some of the smaller vehicles which were listed, but likely still better than with many mid-size SUVs, and the van-style vehicles typically have longer a wheelbase, which is good for towing.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
We have looked at several tow vehicles:
The Ford Escape/Hyundai Santa Fe/Kia Sorento/ Suzuki Grand Vitara - all with 2.7 - 3.5 litre V-6's and rated at 3500# towing capacity.

[b]We are hoping to cut back to one vehicle and would like reasonable fuel economy for ski trips and other use beyond camping.

Your input please.
When I was looking at Vehicle Purchase in spring of 2003, Suzuki was on my list...but back then the Short Wheel Base Grand Vitara with V6 was rated at 1500 Lbs and the Long Wheel Base Grand Vitara [b]XL-7 with V6 was rated for 3000 Lb. The short wheelbase Grand Vitara advertized better fuel economy at that time than the long wheelbase Grand Vitara [b]XL-7. All with the same engine.

I could recommend the Suzuki, but only the [b]XL-7 version for a trailer as big as the Escape.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
I pull a 17' wide body Burro with a Honda pilot. It tows beautifully. It gets much better gas mileage than my previous Jeep Grand Cherokee and is much more reliable. For skiing or boat trips, it has a handy storage space under the back area and the seats fold down to hold 5 or 7 comfortably. It's a 6 cyclinder but it runs on 3 unless it needs the extra pull.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM   #10

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
hmnn.. I had a 67 Impala V8 that had 8 cylinders, but did the grapevine on 3..

but enough about the stupidity of my youth...
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I hada lighter trailer, such as an Escape, I would consider a Toyota Highlander Hybrid, with a 3,500 lb tow capacity.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gerry,
Have you picked Reace's brain? It seems that he would be the authority of choice.
Consider your family needs both towing and not, then relay those needs to Reace.
I believe you'll be most satisfied with a decision arrived at in that manner.
Beyond that route, you can wallow around and maybe find success but I prefer to narrow the odds when gambling with the lives of my family and others and the financial investment of trailer and tug.

May your hunt be successful and we hope you'll soon be camping,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Consider a Toyota FJ Cruiser. 4.0 litre V6. 21mpg city and 28mpg hwy, tow rating = 5000lbs. Cheaper than a Tundra or a Highlander I think.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:10 PM   #14

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
From www.toyota.ca, just to consider the options at Toyota...
  • Highlander
    • 4WD "B" Package C$40,745 list
    • other models C$38,470 to C$53,670
    • wheelbase - 2715 mm (106.9")
  • Tundra
    • 4WD Double Cab automatic C$36,940 list
    • other models C$26,010 to C$48,105)
    • wheelbase (Double Cab) - 3570 mm (140.6")
  • Tacoma
    • 4x4 Double Cab V6 automatic C$34,070 list
    • other models C$22,635 to C$38,955)
    • wheelbase (Double Cab automatic) - 3570 mm (140.5")
  • FJ Cruiser (all 4WD)
    • automatic "B" Package C$34,620
    • other models C$29,990 to C$37,260)
    • wheelbase - 2690 mm (105.9")
Yes, the FJ is cheaper than the Highlander and Tundra (but comparable to the Tacoma) and likely stronger (structurally, and in in suspension, as well as drivetrain) than the Highlander. I wonder if it is worth picking one of the trucks (instead of either SUV) for the towing advantages of long wheelbase, although they have a less sophisticated rear suspension than the SUVs?

Toyota has a towing guide (still showing 2006 specs) available on-line. It covers a selection of trucks and SUVs (but not the Sienna), and has a some surprising details, such as suspension spring rates (but only for the pickup trucks).

There are a couple of other recent threads here on the FJ Cruiser, if anyone is interested in more about this option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 05:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Thanks Brian

And the new 2007 Tundra - due out in Feb or March is rated @ 10,000 lbs. It's also wider (4 inches) longer (10 inches), etc.

I originally was going to wait for the Tundra but not @ 50k - tyvm.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 06:52 PM   #16

'Smaller is better when you're buying a commuter car. Bigger is better buying a tow vehicle' In the famous words of our moderator (and others)

Ah, the dilemma, I appreciate all the comments and hope they will assist others as well.

I am taking delivery on the Escape tomorrow. I will be picking Reace's brains as well as digesting every-ones comments and the info on the Casita and other RV forums.

I would love to own a new Tundra or even a 95 Tundra extra cab with the big V-6 but in trying to arrive at a multipurpose vehicle it gets ruled out as too big and I am not in line for a huge inheritance in the next while.

I am tending to look to a late series Nissan Pathfinder 4x4, the smaller 04 models, drove a friends 02 for some distance a few years ago on a ski trip and an 04 around the block last week. My wife sat in an 05 x-Terra and fell in love so it does pass the wife test. But in my mind it is a tad too tall to load a canoe with my old age creeping up on me.

I noted many are towing with the Ford Explorer and there are always good buys on those vehicles. So "old Troop" is going into service as a TV and the quest for a new vehicle will continue once the financial shock of the purchase wears off.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #17

Yes, Gerry, it's always a challenge finding the "right" tow vehicle for you. What's even more difficult and absolutely unpredictable is how stable a specific tow vehicle/trailer pairing will be until you're able to try them. Folks who have called a trailer all sorts of names and blamed it because it's difficult to tow find that it behaves like a completely different trailer behind a different tow vehicle. Unfortunately, that's entirely trial and error stuff as it has to do with a combination of wheelbase of the tow vehicle, tow vehicle suspension quirks, tires on the tow vehicle, type of hitch, and weight and center of gravity, and the way it deals with a load hanging off the rear of the vehicle.

BTW, used Tundras are getting less expensive as they get more plentiful. I bought my '02 3.4l auto/air/tilt/cruise/windows/locks/tow package etc. etc. etc. 4WD access cab Tundra a year ago with 45k miles on it in near showroom condition and Toyota Certified with brand new tires under it from a dealer for $17k. A new loaded Limited crew cab V8 runs $39k (I just looked at them too, and decided to keep my '02!)
There are deals out there to be had if you look for them!

Roger
Old 10-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 Escape

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04415.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	5183
Bigger is better?? I have towed my 05 Escape for 1.5yrs. with my 1998 Tacoma 3.4 V6. Trailer and truck full of gear and had an average of 18MPG. Last time I checked if you travel across British Columbia from the Pacific Ocean to the Rocky Mtns, you cross over at least 4 different mountain ranges.My mileage has not wavered. Let's get things in perspective.We are towing a trailer under 3500lbs.! I have a good hoot when I see a full size ,Truck/SUV,towing a small FG. trailer.What's the point,mileage? Full size has its place.Yes ,I can't carry or tow as much, but I get better mileage and get in and out of places better than a full size can. I looked at a new 17ft. Bigfoot before I bought my Escape.The Bigfoot has porked out at 4000lbs. Dry! It was my Dream trailer but Iwas not about to upgrade my tug,to tow it. I have looked at many FG trailers and the Escape had the highest ride height of any of them. Ihave been down gravel logging roads and my Escape followed me without a problem. I am as they say,"A Happy Camper."
Erik P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 PM   #19

Arrived back home this evening with my new 17' Escape Trailer.

Not without incident. It rained in Southern BC overnight and today and on highway 10 in Surrey on new temporary pavement doing 60 kph (40 mph) I locked up the truck and trailer brakes and skidded part way into an intersection. Fortunately there was no incident, but I did roll through on a very "stale" yellow light. A lesson in weight transfer and inertia.

Reace was very patient in explaining and showing us the full working details of the unit, a lot more technology than my truck and camper of 25 years ago.

My "Old Troop" a 1989 Trooper, 4 cyl automatic with almost 300Km on it pulled the new trailer like a champion, no equalizer or sway bar and the large semi trucks moved by with little effect. On level freeway I could maintain 100 kph at 2300 rpm in overdrive, going out of overdrive and slowing to 85-90 kph on the hills. In the rain the unit performed admirably and we even passed a few older RV rigs as conditions permitted.

We drove East from Chilliwack to Hope and spent the night hooked up in a campground. Sure beats camping in a small mountain tent in the rain. This morning we drove a few miles and walked into th Othello railway tunnels on the Coquahalla river.

Yes, we did ask Reace about his recommendation for a tow rig. Interestingly, as a small
manufacturer, his only complaint about towability came from a purchaser who was sold an Escape by a dealer and was towing it with an older small domestic sedan. This thoughts " Pulling with too large a vehicle defeats the purpose of a lightweight trailer".

Yes, my vehicle is underpowered, but it towed well and we will use it locally over the winter and purchase a new vehicle next year. My quest for an economical 4x4 ski and tow vehicle continues, stay tuned.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes, we did ask Reace about his recommendation for a tow rig. Interestingly, as a small
manufacturer, his only complaint about towability came from a purchaser who was sold an Escape by a dealer and was towing it with an older small domestic sedan. This thoughts " Pulling with too large a vehicle defeats the purpose of a lightweight trailer".

Yes, my vehicle is underpowered, but it towed well and we will use it locally over the winter and purchase a new vehicle next year. My quest for an economical 4x4 ski and tow vehicle continues, stay tuned.
Congrats Gerry! It sounds like you had a great trip!

Reace is right... but the problem usually isn't having too much tow vehicle, the question is usually "how much is enough without being too much?" As you've found out, as soon as any one of us discovers that answer, we'll be wealthy! There's an old adage in physics that says you can move a train with a sewing machine motor if it's geared right. As my avatar shows, my 18hp diesel lawn tractor is perfectly capable of moving my trailer. Just because it will, does that translate to either that it's a reasonable, appropriate and desireable tow vehicle? Is it safe on the highway? Who else am I jeopardizing by towing with it?

As I alluded to in an earlier post "how much" tow vehicle is a personal choice. What I try to address in posts about "how much vehicle is enough" is how much to vehicle is needed to tow safely under all conditions, not what you can "get by with" in optimal conditions. There is a point for me (at my age) in which comfort plays a role, and I've found that towing mileage is so similar among current offerings that it's almost a wash, seeing typically less than 5mpg variance among all tow vehicles with our trailers (from roughly 12 mpg to 17 mpg towing plus or minus).

Frankly, my Excursion or a Suburban is NOT too much vehicle for a fiberglass egg, still get reasonable highway mileage (I average 15.5 mpg with the 3/4 ton Excursion unladen, my folks get 17 mpg unladen with their '03 Suburban 1/2 ton) and have all of the towing and stopping power you could ask for with a fiberglass trailer. Both fall squarely in the 12-17 mpg range towing. My V6 Tundra can only get me 18 mpg unladen and does the same mileage as the V10 Excursion towing. Frankly, my '92 Toyota 4cyl 5 spd 4WD standard cab short bed pickup with a 13' UHaul, and my '94 extended cab long bed Toyota 4WD 3.0l V6 auto pickup with a 17' Burro widebody didn't give mileages significantly different from the Excursion, Suburban or Tundra when towing!

If your tow vehicle is reliable and comfortable and has a tow rating high enough to cover your combined gross vehicle weight rating; if you're satisfied with your tow vehicle for your daily driving needs (95% of the mileage that gets put on our tow vehicles); if your tow vehicle is heavy and long enough not to be flung around by the trailer under panic stops; and if you have adequate sway control to keep the tail from wagging the dog, then it's probably adequate. If the engine is big enough not to tear itself apart while taking an average hill while maintaining traffic speed, but still gives decent mileage during your daily driving, then it's probably adequate to tow your trailer.

It's the folks who want to move the train with the sewing machine motor (or a 9,000 lb 34' Airstream tri-axle with a 6 cyl Intrepid)... that should give us pause. We have to share the road with them!

Name:   intrepid_airstream.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  15.5 KB

Roger