Tow Vehicle Suggestions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2006 Bigfoot 25RQ
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Some of the tow ratings are pure fantasy. My Tacoma is rated for 6,000lbs. You won't catch me towing/hauling more than 3500. Most of the tow ratings I assume are determined on flat ground, no wind, no altitude. I wouldn't buy a tow vehicle with a rating at least 25% over my true load. The more the better IMO. There is more to it than just HP. Gears, bearings, and other parts are sized to a certain load. Go too light and you have heating problems and premature wear.

For a trailer that big I would be looking at one tons, but that is just me. I travel during offseasons frequently, and find myself in all kinds of situations. 4X4 is a must for me. My tug has 4.56 gears and airlockers front and rear so I have the option of fully locked all wheel drive. I use it all. I hate digging and walking. These options are strictly personal though.

David
Most ratings don't subtract enough weight for the driver either. I typically use the 25% extra rule. I'm curious as to why you'd get a 1 ton over a 3/4 (However, Dodge is obvious)?

-John

Old 12-05-2011, 03:18 PM   #16

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I just purchased a new 2011 Ram 1/2 ton truck. The factory sent me ( apon my request ) an E-Mail saying my truck's towing capacity was 8550 lb as built. The Ram dealer recommends to keep the trailer weight at 5000 lbs or less. The truck can tow 8550 lbs but because if I add the 8550 lb trailer weight to the curb weight of the truck the only other thing I could haul is me and some gas . I would have to leave the wife and gear at home , or exceed the GCVW rating of the truck.

Thanks Steve Dunham

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Wisconsin
John, It might be worth your time and $ to ask this question on the Bigfoot Owners Club International site. They aren't real active,but there are a number of 25 foot trailer owners there. Tony
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #18

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham
I just purchased a new 2011 Ram 1/2 ton truck. The factory sent me ( apon my request ) an E-Mail saying my truck's towing capacity was 8550 lb as built. The Ram dealer recommends to keep the trailer weight at 5000 lbs or less. The truck can tow 8550 lbs but because if I add the 8550 lb trailer weight to the curb weight of the truck the only other thing I could haul is me and some gas . I would have to leave the wife and gear at home , or exceed the GCVW rating of the truck.

Thanks Steve Dunham
For full time I don't think I can leave my wife or the fur babies! Exceeding any weight limit could potentially jeopardize our whole plan so we want to be safe.

-John
Old 12-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak
John, It might be worth your time and $ to ask this question on the Bigfoot Owners Club International site. They aren't real active,but there are a number of 25 foot trailer owners there. Tony
That's a great idea, thanks.

-John
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
Most ratings don't subtract enough weight for the driver either. I typically use the 25% extra rule. I'm curious as to why you'd get a 1 ton over a 3/4 (However, Dodge is obvious)?

-John
John,
I'm a gear head. I know what's going on in there and it bothers me. You talked about mountains. Long steep grades put a lot of stress on a TV. Most notably the rear differential and u-joints. There is no doubt a 3/4 ton could pull the trailer. The question is for how long. Over the years the ratings on trucks have really been compromised. You look at a "1/2 ton" from 1975 and a 1/2 ton today. No comparison. The push for higher fuel economy has forced this downgrade. I once helped a buddy move 40 sacks of cement in a 1971 Ford F100. That is 3,600 pounds of cement . I'm not saying we were bright guys , but the truck did the job just fine. From what I have seen, you don't really get into anything heavy duty until you hit 1 ton today. Just my 2 cents.

David
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
I have an "ancient" one-ton GMC with 2 wheel drive and Limited Slip Diff. The initials "LSD" are accurate - you'd have to be on drugs to enjoy the overall effect. Mine can get stuck on bare dry pavement if I mention the word "snow' where it can hear me. (mine is actually a "locking" diff, not a "posi-traction" style)

My truck has been reliable as an ax and now has about 400,000 on it, tows everything, carries everything and if it was a 4wd I'd have NO gripes about it at all. It is comfortable to drive, rides very well, stops very well, handles well and gets good fuel economy (except when I am towing something big!)

My next one will likely be a 2006 3500 Series GMC or Chevrolet - long box, extended cab, Duramax (LBZ engine) with all the toys on it and (not negotiable!) it will be a 4X4 .

I don't much care for the reports I have received about the fragility of the Dodge front suspensions and Ford's disease-els do not have a good reputation, so its gonna be a GMC/Chev
Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have an "ancient" one-ton GMC with 2 wheel drive and Limited Slip Diff. The initials "LSD" are accurate - you'd have to be on drugs to enjoy the overall effect. Mine can get stuck on bare dry pavement if I mention the word "snow' where it can hear me. (mine is actually a "locking" diff, not a "posi-traction" style)

My truck has been reliable as an ax and now has about 400,000 on it, tows everything, carries everything and if it was a 4wd I'd have NO gripes about it at all. It is comfortable to drive, rides very well, stops very well, handles well and gets good fuel economy (except when I am towing something big!)

My next one will likely be a 2006 3500 Series GMC or Chevrolet - long box, extended cab, Duramax (LBZ engine) with all the toys on it and (not negotiable!) it will be a 4X4 .

I don't much care for the reports I have received about the fragility of the Dodge front suspensions and Ford's disease-els do not have a good reputation, so its gonna be a GMC/Chev
Fords diesels have a bad reputation where? You may want an Isuzu, And that's fine, but that's hardly a reason.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #23

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The Ford diesel was built by Navistar up until about a year ago, the 7.3 was a good engine, after that they were junk even the salesman advised me NOT to switch to the Ford. The Isuzu (Duramax) is in my opinion the best light truck Diesel available at this time. And yes I've driven all three and owned two of them.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
The Ford diesel was built by Navistar up until about a year ago, the 7.3 was a good engine, after that they were junk even the salesman advised me NOT to switch to the Ford. The Isuzu (Duramax) is in my opinion the best light truck Diesel available at this time. And yes I've driven all three and owned two of them.
You are of course entitled to your opinion.
[like that comment about limited slip]
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
disease-els

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Fords diesels have a bad reputation where? You may want an Isuzu, And that's fine, but that's hardly a reason.
My son who is a "disease-el fanatic" haunts virtually every diesel forum around - is a member of quite a few of these fora and 'lurks" on others. he has a design for an improvement in the turbo inlet that is being used by Cummins to gain another % or 2 in efficiency.

He could (and often does) show me the "chapter & verse" on whats good about Brand X and what's not so good, and what can be done about it.

In his views - best engine is the Cummins, but he would not get a RAM due to the high frequency and costs of repairs for front suspension.

He likes the Duramax as a close second but he figures it needs a much better turbo system and a better intercooler

As to Ford - well - which diesel? The original N/A Fords that were totally gutless, fuel-hungry beasts (as bad as the first GM ones)? The Navistar "powerstrokes" that had bearing issues, which were recalled and which are the subject of a rather large class action lawsuit against Ford? The second-generation Navistar Powerstrokes that are also recalled and are the subject of yet another class-action lawsuit due to their propensity to catch fire? The ones that had head-bolt issues? The ones that lost power, lost coolant and leaked coolant into the engine oil? Would those be the ones that just might have a bad reputation?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #26

Florida
I too am a researcher, my only problem is I have never owned a diesel truck. We did own a 2006 diesel Jetta which was an outstanding car. I have called Diesel mechanics (not dealerships) and asked what do they see as problems and, IMO a better indicator, what do they drive. The three that come back as recommendations religiously are:

Dodge 5.9 H.O. - may need to put a different transmission in it at some point
Chevy/GMC LBZ - shouldn't have to do a thing
Ford 7.3 - could be hungry for fuel

It seems the whole country knows this and getting a used truck optioned the way we want it has proven to be quite difficult.

I have friends who have owned all makes and models of Diesels and they say the same as the mechanics even though several of them own trucks of newer vintage. My buddy with the Ford 250 6.0 that we used to pick-up our trailer has come up with his own maintenance routine that seems to be working out fine. He misses his mid 90's Dodge Cummins 2500 but the truck was literally falling apart when his tranny went out. He still got a good price when he sold it on Craigslist, we figure someone wanted the engine for a build out.

Last night I received a call from Ford about a 7.3 they may be getting on trade. I'll take a look but a 2003 truck is probably due for a front-end re-build, which I have found to be the case for all of them.

Funny thing when I went to Ford to look at the gas 6.2L I said to the salesman that I wished they still made the 7.3. He laughingly but sincerely replied, "so do we"!

After all of my hours reading, talking to owners and mechanics I now understand the joke: "Perfect vehicle is a Ford Truck with a Cummins engine and an Allison Transmission".

For a moment we entertained the idea of having a 1998 Alpha H1 as a tow vehicle so keep the recommendations coming.

-John
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #27

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
At least we agree(except for Floyd) that the Ford offering in the Diesel truck market is not the one to plop down 40+ grand on.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
At least we agree(except for Floyd) that the Ford offering in the Diesel truck market is not the one to plop down 40+ grand on.
I'm not a truck guy, but must say I'm overwhelmed by $40,000 for any truck.

We drove a 4 year old, gas, Ford, V8, 7 ton, towing a 2 ton car, 32 foot Motorhome for 7 years, drove about 80,000 miles and probably spent about $40,000 for gas and the motorhome combined.

I never realized diesel trucks were so expensive...

Yikes... for me.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote