Tow Vehicle Suggestions - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #81

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
I agree with both of you. In the sense that having the power and pulling a smaller load is not an issue but having the load and not the power is a different story. Having a gigantic truck that doesn't fit where you need or want to go just for the sake of having a gigantic truck seems pointless. Most 2500's here don't ever see a trailer, dirt or anything else the truck was designed for... just maybe some mulch once or twice a year. It's become a status symbol or what's big enough for the occupants. If there was a smaller vehicle that could do what we need and had a chance of lasting a reasonable amount of time then we would have been all over it.

With 3 real options there's not a whole lot to choose from besides stepping up even further to a MDT or HDT. On another forum where most fulltimers are in the super sized fifth wheels they are switching to reconditioned HDTs. We realized along time ago that we are campers and not RVers so we ended up in the largest FGRV. We were actually looking for a 21RB when we found the 25RQ. We have more sporting gear than regular life stuff which has been our major problem this whole time.

I actually like the idea of the small FG fifth wheel but we like the extra width of the BigFoot. I think Bigfoot should make a 22-25 foot fiver similar to their discontinued 24SL class C. That would allow descent basement storage in a strong, long lasting, shorter package. The small fivers of the past have become history so there is a niche market that can be filled by an already niche product. If that could be made with a respectable CCC we would be interested if not one of the first in line... and it would look great with our truck!
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #82

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Of course there is,.... that's like saying there's no such thing as too big of a wrench!
My Ranger is the perfect size for it's purpose and it fits in my Garage!
<snip>
Nothing like an 7000# truck for taking a 110# woman to the store for a one pound loaf of bread!
<snip>
...just saying that there is such a thing as too big of a truck, and that , like wrenches....
the "right size" works best.
Since I will use one vehicle for both towing the Casita 17' FD and as a daily driver, there are lots of things to compare and to consider. Then there is the fact of $2/gal gas now over $3/gal and rising. Then I have to factor in my finances. Plans of traveling with my 1986 32' Argosy have devolved to traveling with a 17' Casita, partly due to the economy and finances. I will spend the $$ on a new Casita because I will keep it many years. (I've had the Argosy over 14 years) But I don't need a brand new TV. So I have considered the big diesel trucks, Toyota Hilander, Rav4, 4Runner, Ford F150 and even a Lincoln Town Car. It's not easy finding the multi-purpose vehicle, to get a balance in towing and street economy when not towing.

I'm still reading and asking questions. I'm not where I have to make a decision yet, not for a couple of years. So keep those suggestions and opinions coming.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Too Big???

I guess it all depends on how many vehicles you have. Around here, every person in the house has their own car (Wife's Lexus LS, Son's VW "disease-el", my 4Runner), plus we have "Babe the Blue Ox" as "spare in case..." and for towing/hauling/general purposes. It is a long-box with extended cab and I have found myself wishing it was a full crewcab and had an even bigger box as I wind up hauling stuff that won't fit in the 8 foot box with the gate closed.

Next one (whenever that happens) will be a one ton long-box, 4X4 disease-el with a full crew cab. (But single-wheel style, as I am just not all that fond of the Duallies)

If my current truck was a 4X4, I wouldn't need my 4Runner at all and could reduce driveway occupancy accordingly.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #84

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I guess it all depends on how many vehicles you have.
Hey Dave, every person in my house has two vehicles. I'm single. Right now I have two cars, two insurance payments. My 11 year old Buick LaSabre and my beautiful 1990 Lincoln Town Car, bought from a little old lady millionaire with 50K miles. Both cars are debt free. And I am obviously a single-income family, (although Republicans don't see me as a family, no matter how many parents/brothers/sisters I have.)

I don't do any off-roading so my tow vehicle will be for mostly interstate towing and daily driving. No 4wd needed.

Now all I ask is 28+ mpg when not towing.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM   #85

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Vehicles

I can relate. We live in the country, so we need to have at least one 4X4 for those times when it snows. I never go off road (my 4Runner is a pavement princess), but getting marooned by 3 foot-deep drifts is not a lotta fun. A couple of years ago, we would have been "stuck" for about 2 or 3 weeks except my (then) daily driver was a rusty but trusty '89 Suzuki Sidekick that just pushed on through snow up to the headlights with no problems at all.

Going to a 4x4 pickup would eliminate the need for the 4Runner, reduce the insurance bill and free up space in driveway.

My big ol' 1992 GMC actually gets better fuel economy than the '97 4Runner.

However, a new pickup would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $70,000, and I have not yet found a used one with what I want on it, at a decent price.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
However, a new pickup would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $70,000, and I have not yet found a used one with what I want on it, at a decent price.
That was our major hang-up. Every used one we found was in bad shape and overpriced. We only paid a little more than what we were finding the used ones for. Now catching them this week definitely worked in our favor with them needing to make their end of year numbers.

-John
Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM   #87

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fazio View Post
That was our major hang-up. Every used one we found was in bad shape and overpriced. We only paid a little more than what we were finding the used ones for. Now catching them this week definitely worked in our favor with them needing to make their end of year numbers.

-John
John, right now used autos are selling at high prices everywhere. Glad you found a good deal.

Several folks in this and other FG trailer and RV forums have used CarMax.com to buy a car or TV. So I have been also looking there to compare prices.

Then about 4 weeks ago, I met a couple at the restaurant where I work on the weekends and man had worked for CarMax. He was retired military and had worked for CarMax a couple of years before. So I played devil's advocate and picked his brain. Everything he said was positive about the company and the cars they sold. He convinced me it was a pretty good deal if you don't want to bicker prices. And they give a 5-day money back guarantee. Can't get that from Ford or Toyota.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #88

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
4x and a small diesel

I'd love to have a little diesel though our gas powered tow does fine. As to 4x, what the Honda has is limited but I will say that over its seven years it's saved us a few times, and a couple times on roads and seasons when you wouldn't think you need it.

AS well the 4x has been totally reliable, only requiring fluid changes a few times.

It does not get Don's 28 mpg but this trip so far towing has been about 22 mpg; non towing in the 28mpg range.

though definitely not up to a Big foot 25 or Casita 17....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #89

Just wanted to post an mpg follow-up.

All in town driving we averaged 12 on our first half a tank. Not great but we don't break 45 and it's mostly 20-25 through neighborhoods and in traffic. We drove down to the coast this Saturday to spend the day in Apalachicola with my Sister, Nephew and her boyfriend. We averaged 19.5! Speeds were 45-55 with an occasional red light. We also, drove over to St. George island and around it a little to show them what it's like. The truck computer was at 20.2 for most of the trip until we approached our county coming home. Once we take the Bigfoot out I'll report back.

-John
Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #90

We went camping this past weekend and averaged 12.1 mpg all towing. We headed out Friday afternoon from downtown in really bad traffic and came back on Sunday to rather light traffic. Overall we are extremely pleased and the truck pulls great. Tow/haul and the diesel exhaust brake are absolutely wonderful. So far the truck only has 1100 miles on it so we'll see if we get any better after break in. Getting a combined average of 16 is what we are shooting for so it seems we may well be able to do it! Of course we haven't loaded everything down yet...

-John