Tow Vehicle Upgrade - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Scamperless
Minnesota
Tow Vehicle Upgrade

Since down sizing to a Scamp, it became apparent we needed to haul more items in the truck. So out with the behind the cab tool box, and I installed a toneau cover. But I didn't want to roll up the toneau cover every time I needed to get something out of the truck. So welcome to my "sled bed". All though Sledbed is an actual product, I can't use that name. What ever you want to call it, it works great. It holds a ton of stuff and works great for all that bulky stuff. It also gives me two levels of storage in the bed of the truck.
I really wish I could take credit for the design of this, but I can't. I found in on the the Google. It is easy to build and relatively inexpensive.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2081.JPG   IMG_2082.JPG  

IMG_2083.JPG  

Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
that looks great Jerry ! Do have any more detail pics of how you actually built and assembled it ?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
that looks great Jerry ! Do have any more detail pics of how you actually built and assembled it ?
Sure, just follow this link.

Build This Sliding Truck-Bed Drawer, and Get Easy Access to All Your Tools - Fine Homebuilding

There is a brief utube video and down towards the bottom there is a link to drawing and plans.

The one in the video was build heavy enough for contractor items. I lightened mine up since I am not hauling air compressors and generators. For example instead of 3" casters, I opted for 2 1/2". And instead of placing them 12" on center, I placed them 16" on center. So you can actually get by with 2 fewer casters. For the bottom sheet of plywood I used 1/2" and for the upper piece of plywood I used 5/8" instead of 3/4". I also only put one 2x4 on the bottom sheet of plywood under the casters, and used 2x2's for the rim around the sliding bed. Again, I lightened it up for hauling camping equipment like lawn chairs and a fold-able table.

I glued and screwed everything.

If you would like to see a specific picture, just let me know and I'll try to get one posted.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Thanks Jerry, I'll check it out.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Great work, Jerry - thanks for sharing it.

The drawer bottom seems to be well above the truck bed floor. It would be nice to lose less useful storage height, but that would require putting the rollers beside - rather than under - the drawer.

In addition to in pickup beds, similar systems are often used in "basement" storage compartments of motorhomes and large RV trailers. Since cross-RV compartments are even longer than pickup boxes, some of the same products would work equally well in both situations, but strangely the commercial products seem to be marketed only for one purpose or the other. Either way, they can be expensive, so the home-built approach is a valuable alternative.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Great work, Jerry - thanks for sharing it.

The drawer bottom seems to be well above the truck bed floor. It would be nice to lose less useful storage height, but that would require putting the rollers beside - rather than under - the drawer.

In addition to in pickup beds, similar systems are often used in "basement" storage compartments of motorhomes and large RV trailers. Since cross-RV compartments are even longer than pickup boxes, some of the same products would work equally well in both situations, but strangely the commercial products seem to be marketed only for one purpose or the other. Either way, they can be expensive, so the home-built approach is a valuable alternative.
Brian, the space below the sliding bed is not lost. That is were I put our folding aluminum camp table and our two lawn chairs. I tie a small rope to the table so by simply pulling on the rope, the two chairs slide right out the back when needed. So this sliding table actually adds storage space to the back of the truck.
If you are talking about losing space when I am not hauling camping gear, since the assembly is not fastened to the box in any way, the table slides out in about a minute, and the base slides right out in another minute. So I can have my full truck box for other uses in a very short time.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like it, I have a fiberglass cap but with something like this I could get by with a tonneau and one of these setups!!
Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry71 View Post
Brian, the space below the sliding bed is not lost. That is were I put our folding aluminum camp table and our two lawn chairs. I tie a small rope to the table so by simply pulling on the rope, the two chairs slide right out the back when needed. So this sliding table actually adds storage space to the back of the truck.
Clever!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote