Tow vehicle - VW Beetle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Interesting second photo. First of all, the Pinto two-door "woody" wagon made me smile nostalgically. But it also shows how the older Scamps riding a bit lower than newer ones does not *have* to mean the axle is shot. I have the idea that the older ones with the leading arms were set up to ride lower, and I would guess that the Scamp in the second photo is new and has a good axle (when the photo was taken).

Anyway, fun to see.
You are precisely correct about the axles, I grow tired of discussing the effacacy of merely shaking your fist at an axle to determine it's need for replacement. The early leading arm axles were apparently ordered with a different arm angle than the newer ones. I have been trying to sort this out and I now know that leading arms were used at least through 1992 and likely 1995 or even later, with an apparent use of at least two different arm angles. This all refers to 13 Scamps only.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #16

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Thanks for the additional info, Floyd. I'm trying to remember who was looking for historical Scamp axle info. Edited to add: Found it, here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/scamp-13-axle-95-arm-angle-up-or-down-43652.html#post224358

I notice fairly often that someone will post an older Scamp/Boler for sale that sits a bit low, and someone will reply saying "axle is shot; look how low it is riding." Now of course it may very well be shot, but it seems like you can't tell *just* from the height/lowness.

Raya

Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #17

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Pintos when they got rear ended?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Doesn't anyone remember what happened to Pintos when they got rear ended?
That's why you put a Scamp behind you... it's a "crumple zone"!

Bu the way, there are vehicles today that are just as dangerous... (cough) Jeep (cough). They just qualify them as a "truck" so they don't have to meet the same safety and fuel efficiency as a car. Did you know all Subarus are technically trucks? That's because they don't have any high MPG vehicles to offset their CAFE numbers.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #19

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
How much does the older style Bugs weigh, considering that these trailers are in excess of 1000lbs (most exceeding 1400 lbs), seems that you could have a control issue in certain conditions with a lightweight car?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #20

Trailer: 13 ft 1968 Boler
Send a message via AIM to Joe Diaz Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Mac Donald View Post
Hi all , I'm planning on buying a project VW beetle , the older ones . I've seen them pulling bolers and trilliums but my question is , will the car be able to pull the boler without being to laboured
Perry Hi my name is Joe and I have been a member here for about 2 years. I have a VW restoration shop here in sunny Florida. I have a 13 boler and I pulled it with a 78 bus with a 2.0 liter motor. I am telling you from 40 years of VW experiebce that you can pull the Queen Mary with a bug but at some point in time you gotta stop! Alot of people dont realize that until it too late. A beetile will not I repeat will not pull a boler. I think that the pulling weight of a boler is about 1260 pounds or so and that is only 400 pounds less than the beetle is. If you want to go with a bus then you would have a better time with it being that the later busses 74-79 had front disc brakes and either and 1800 cc motor (74 to 76) and then a 2000 liter or 2.0 motor from 77 to 79 and even up to 81 air cooled that is. feel free to call me at 352-280-0283...Joebugs
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #21

Name: William & Tina
Trailer: 1979 Boler
British Columbia
I saw a 13 foot boler being pulled by a mazda miata through the mountains of BC.. not sure if the guy made it but it he made it THAT far at least.

Go find a 1.9L TDI and swap that in
Old 12-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
A couple of years ago, we parked next to a Boler towed by a green VW beetle in eastern Ontario at a Walmart parking lot. We got to chat with the owner and her mom for a few minutes. The beetle was fairly new, and not modified to my knowledge. Not a recommendation, just interesting...
Sherry
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #23

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
The VW has a lot of Hot Rod power and trans upgrades available and a trans cooler would also help. Not shure about the hitch but this is a small trailer 1000 lbs maybe? would only require a class 1 hitch.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #24

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Here's a Beetle being pulled by a Beetle!
Attached Thumbnails
vw-beetle-trailer.jpg  
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #25

Ontario
Registry
At 1400 lbs on a VW "if Hot rod engine and transmission upgrades added" sounds good but trailer maybe over 50% of car weight and you would require trailer brakes in my area. Only need a class 1 hitch. May also want a sway bar setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Top.jpg  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 AM   #26

Ontario
Registry
Went online and read at mto web site last night and have called to clarify the below statements.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf.../trailer.shtml
1 The law requires brakes on trailers that weigh 1360 kg (3000 lb.) or more.
They do say on one page if trailer is 50% of vehicle weight it should have brakes but this is not stated as law on page
2 Vehicle mirrors adjusted to clearly see traffic approaching from behind. Use extension mirrors if necessary. Stated on site.
3 Maximum widths
Motor home, truck camper, truck, house trailer and dolly: 2.6 m (8'6"). This is law
4 Tongue weight not to exceed hitch capacity. Use the correct class of trailer hitch on your vehicle. (Class I up to 2000 lb; Class II up to 3500 lb; Class III up to 5000 lb; Class IV 5000 to 10000 lb) Repair or replace broken or worn out hitches. Contact a trailer hitch retailer for more information. is all they say on hitches
This also is a quote but is not stated as law, WD could be used to gain more tongue weight as it puts half on front of tow vehicle.
Our car is unibody the hitch is fastened at back and center tube runs forward to be fastened again. This lets us use a Class 3 hitch. our car would have a 200 lb. limit and we needed 250 lbs. Class 3 the dealer says not mto gives us 400 lbs.
5 Safety chains are spelled out in detail on their site as law; long read, but in short strong enough needed to do job.
6 If the trailer weighs 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.) or less; Register the truck or car for at least the weight of the truck or car which includes trailer tongue weight.
Weight transmitted directly to the ground, by the trailer, is not included in the RGW
This quote is also law.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #27

Name: William & Tina
Trailer: 1979 Boler
British Columbia
Laws aside there's a reason people pull trailers with heavy vehicles - it's more stable on the road while you are cruising. When wind hits your trailer doesn't have enough weight to pull the tow vehicle around. You could have a Harley with 13 inch quad piston brakes and 1100hp but I wouldn't tow any travel trailer with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and TW
Laws aside there's a reason people pull trailers with heavy vehicles - it's more stable on the road while you are cruising. When wind hits your trailer doesn't have enough weight to pull the tow vehicle around. You could have a Harley with 13 inch quad piston brakes and 1100hp but I wouldn't tow any travel trailer with it.
True, but you have to take it in perspective. A 3,000 pound car towing a 1,500 pound trailer is the same weight ratio as an 8,000 pound truck pulling a 4,000 pound trailer. Although I am sure it would tow well, you certainly don't need an 8,000 pound truck to pull a 1,500 pound trailer.

My van weighs about 5,500 pounds and is rated to tow 6,000 pounds. It tows so well that I'd feel safe towing a little more I'd the hitch was rated higher. That is the same weight ratio as my little Scion towing a 2,900 pound trailer. I wouldn't do that, since the hitch and brakes probably wouldn't be up to it... Not to mention the clutch.

There are a lot of things that contribute to whether a vehicle can tow safely or not. Towing my little cargo trailer with a Christmas tree on it the other day reminded me what "overkill" means. I couldn't even tell it was back there. I notice the Scamp... especially at highway speeds. Braking and handling aren't an issue... Fuel economy takes a dive, though.