Tow vehicles - choices, choices! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #71

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I'm sure all the car & truck companies build vehicles they believe people will want Chris, it's just a matter or reliability. For instance, JD Powers this year (for the 1st time in decades) put Chevy/GMC at the top for reliability. I'm not trying to "dis" any make, just relaying what my long-time buddy who owns a repair shop says. I've owned GM products, Ford products and Chrysler products (and a Datsun and VW), so am not brand loyal at all.

Our "problem" is that we will soon be retiring and will not be flush enough to buy a new vehicle when we're retired if the TV we buy soon becomes a cascade of problems. I want to do the very best I can to make an informed decision. This thread and a couple others on this website and are a great help!

Thanks,

Frank

Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #72

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
I guess what I meant is that Jeep/Dodge leads the industry in bold styling that is eye catching and desirable. I see the new Dodge Charger and go "I want that" even though I'm not even in the market for a mid sized sedan. I see the new Jeep Cherokee and think "I could see myself driving that". I've always loved the Wrangler.

...but then I remember every Chrysler product I've ever owned and the nightmares they've been. The last one was the Dodge Nitro. It looked cooler than the Liberty and the R/T package had some really cool styling. Before 60k was up the Navigation system became useless and the A/C required a $1,500 repair job. Sure it could have been a fluke but on a 90+ degree day my wife was driving it with the windows open and two different Nitro owners hollered at her asking if her A/C was broken too. If it were covered under warranty I might have shrugged it off, but we recharged the system a few times and eventually traded it in for a Ford which has been trouble free.

....buuuut I'm just one person. Some people have great luck with the brand and are lifetime return customers. My only guess is that they manage to time their trade-ins perfectly, or they have just never owned a vehicle that is reliable so they don't know what they're missing.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #73

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
This will be my 4th JGC, one from each generation. No particular problems with any. Kept two of them for 130,000 miles.

Every car forum is full of complaints, because the people with trouble free cars don't write about them.

By far, the most expensive car I ever had to maintain was a 2005 Subaru Forester which has great reliability ratings.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #74

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
...... My only guess is that they manage to time their trade-ins perfectly, or they have just never owned a vehicle that is reliable so they don't know what they're missing.
Or they may be just so dedicated to the marque, that they will keep buying them anyway. One of my brothers is a diehard Mopar fan/owner, and he keeps on buying them in spite of all the bad luck he has had with them ! He too has had a fair bit of trouble with his Nitro....but he just keeps throwing $$ at it, because he likes it. He has spent so much money on Chrysler transmission repairs in the last 20 years, it's mind boggling. The one thing he did take my advice on was to get AAA towing. It has paid for itself for him......
Old 06-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #75

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
This will be my 4th JGC, one from each generation. No particular problems with any. Kept two of them for 130,000 miles.

Every car forum is full of complaints, because the people with trouble free cars don't write about them.

By far, the most expensive car I ever had to maintain was a 2005 Subaru Forester which has great reliability ratings.
I feel your pain. Out 2008 Outback we bought brand new blew the motor a year ago this past February right out of warranty, cost us $6500, most expensive car repair in my life!

Frank
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #76

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

I feel your pain. Out 2008 Outback we bought brand new blew the motor a year ago this past February right out of warranty, cost us $6500, most expensive car repair in my life!

Frank
I worked at a Subaru dealer a few years ago. The guys said part of the problem is where Subaru puts the temperature sensor in the engine. It is in a high spot where air bubbles tend to collect. When the engine does over heat, for whatever reason, the air bubble keeps the temp sensor from reading the real engine temperature. So the the engine overheats to the point of needing a rebuild without really telling you (gauge doesn't move or only moves after the damage is already done).

And they did have leaky head gaskets, but that was later fixed with a bottle of stop leak.

Either way if I owned a Subaru I would add a temperature gauge or at least move the stock sensor.

Jason
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #77

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I'll take the Yote 4runner over the Tonka Toy-styled FJ every day of the week, even with the auto trans. My 06 is the first vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have a standard trans and, strange to say, I don't miss the manual trans.

jack
Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #78

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Sitting in the driver seat of the FJ, I found I couldn't see a traffic light when stopped at the intersection, without craning my neck. And, I had no view out either rear quarter ( I'd sure want a rear view camera, what with that tire hanging off the back ).
Old 06-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #79

New York
Gee, I sure wish someone had told me that before this motor went "poof." We never had a problem of any kind with this vehicle. My wife loved it. We were leaving her hometown after her mom's funeral and had just got on a 4 lane highway headed north going home, going up a gradual slope when the motor started making death rattles with no warning whatsoever, no idiot lights, no gauges spiking, nothing, just "poof." While we don't much trust it anymore, the additional 6500 bucks in expenses has forced us to hold onto it. On the positive side, it's a new block and one new head, so maybe it will go a lot longer...

Frank
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #80

British Columbia
My '87 Subaru went poof as well. Timing belt broke. I got lucky in that it didn't destroy the engine when it happened. It broke prior to the mileage at which it should be replaced.
If Subaru still uses the same timing belt ( it's not a timing chain ), owners should pay close attention and adhere to the maintenance schedule.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #81

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Had a 1987 Subaru wagon that I used to tow a boat. You put it into 4x4 manually. .
ROFL yup the good old GL10 Loyale wagon - in the days before Subaru brought the Outback to NA. Seem to recall the GL10 only had about 90 HP engine as well - was not the fastest car I ever drove thats for sure! Never towed a thing with it. and yes the timing builts were an big issue for them as well. Seem to think the manual said they had to be changed at abt 100,000 miles but I seem to recall few got that many miles out of one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #82

New York
I asked if we had one when the motor blew, and told them if so to replace it while they had stuff apart. Nothing worse in engine design as far as I'm concerned than a timing belt under pressure!

Frank
Old 06-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #83

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If Subaru still uses the same timing belt ( it's not a timing chain ), owners should pay close attention and adhere to the maintenance schedule.
Nope that was retired several model years back along with the GL10 it was in.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #84

British Columbia
Had it myself for 13 years and sold it for $2,200. It went to Nelson, BC ( home of homesteaders and hippies ) and is probably hauling hay.