Tow vehicles - choices, choices! - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #85

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
I'll take the Yote 4runner over the Tonka Toy-styled FJ every day of the week, even with the auto trans.
I believe that the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser are built on the same platform. I think the choice would come down to
  • Size - the FJ is shorter
  • Body - styling, usability issues as mentioned above, access (doors)
  • Equipment - engines, transmissions, spring/shock systems (on fundamentally the same suspension), power/electronic toys

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #86

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nope that was retired several model years back along with the GL10 it was in.
That specific timing belt was in the EA series engine. The GL10 name disappeared about 20 years ago (replaced by "Imprezza"); the replacement used the EJ series engine, which also has a timing belt. Of course this isn't the very same timing belt as the GL-10's engine, but it's still a belt.

A couple of years ago the FB engine appeared, with a chain instead of a belt. It appears that it still isn't used in all Subaru models.

Subaru is following the general industry trend, which was to replace timing chains with belts in the 1980s for less noise, lower weight, and reliability, then recently to replace the belts with a new generation of chains for longer life, since everything else in the engine now lasts so long that the six year life of a timing belt no longer seems like a long time.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #87

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I want a 4 door truck, the wife wants an SUV. Hmmm.

O.K., I just read this whole thread, and can't yet tell what the trending answer might be to the only question raised in the threadstarter that really interests me, that being:

Who's ahead in the..."discussion" referred to above?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #88

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I believe that the 4Runner and FJ Cruiser are built on the same platform. I think the choice would come down to
  • Size - the FJ is shorter
  • Body - styling, usability issues as mentioned above, access (doors)
  • Equipment - engines, transmissions, spring/shock systems (on fundamentally the same suspension), power/electronic toys
I'd definitely pick the 4Runner over the FJ as well...but I just can't deal with daily driving an automatic. If it were dedicated to just towing I might be willing to make an exception but I like the control for around town driving.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #89

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Believe it or not, it is possible to downshift an automatic transmission to reduce freewheeling/braking on a freeway cloverleaf or a wet or snow-covered surface.

jack
Old 06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #90

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

O.K., I just read this whole thread, and can't yet tell what the trending answer might be to the only question raised in the threadstarter that really interests me, that being:

Who's ahead in the..."discussion" referred to above?

Francesca
Probably the wife...
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #91

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Subaru is following the general industry trend, which was to replace timing chains with belts in the 1980s for less noise, lower weight, and reliability, then recently to replace the belts with a new generation of chains for longer life, since everything else in the engine now lasts so long that the six year life of a timing belt no longer seems like a long time.
The other good news is the new style does not require taking half the car apart in order to replace which was the case with the GL10 and why so many people didnt change them out as directed in the manual after x so many miles & instead waited from them to fail. The cost of replacement was prohibitive for many, the cost to replace the current ones being used is *Much* less.

Glenn I had a good chuckle over speculation as to the whereabouts of your old GL10 & its use. One still sees a number of them running around Whistler (suspect one of them may have been mine). Normally being driven to the mountain by one of the extremely low paid young seasonal international lifties - often shared by several of the 20 others they room with in a one bedroom apartment.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #92

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I'd definitely pick the 4Runner over the FJ as well...but I just can't deal with daily driving an automatic. If it were dedicated to just towing I might be willing to make an exception but I like the control for around town driving.
LOL opposite to me. I have always had manual transmission up until the current vehicle. Have discovered that I Love the automatic in the city but still wish I have a full manual transmission for towing. I at least on current vehicle have the option of switching over to manual mode when towing which is more often than not when I use it.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #93

Name: Raymond
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
California
Quote:
[*]Size - the FJ is shorter[*]Body - styling, usability issues as mentioned above, access (doors)[*]Equipment - engines, transmissions, spring/shock systems (on fundamentally the same suspension), power/electronic toys
1. Yes the FJ is shorter. That shorter wheelbase allows it to go around and over obstacles the 4 runner would hang up on.
2. Access doors....very handy I have a daughter and it is much simpler to put her in her seat and put stuff down with the suicide doors than if we had 4 traditional opening doors and I would have to keep walking around the passenger door to get her in and my stuff in. Also when offroading and slugging gear around the fact that the entire side of the FJ opens up makes hauling said gear easier than 4 traditional doors.
3. The FJ is actually built on a Land Cruiser Prado chassis while the 4runner is built on the Tacoma chassis. The power train is the same. However the FJ comes with a locking rear diff and A-Trac which I believe are not offered on the 4 runner.

I have owned a wrangler and I currently own a FJ(surprise) and the FJ will go anywhere a 2 door wrangler will go but carry at least twice the cargo and pull 2.5 times the weight of a wrangler. Wrangler 2 doors only tow 2000 lbs while the FJ tows 5000 lbs. Basically a FJ is a Jeep Wrangler with balls(pardon my French). To me the difference in the FJ and the 4runner is simply this the FJ is focused on off road ability with family function second while the 4runner is focused on family with off road ability second. Either way it's a toyota so you know it's gonna last.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #94

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Funny, guy I work with pulled his 20' ProLine center console with mid '90s Wrangler. I don't know how much it weights but I would guess 4500 to 5500 lbs. After mistaking R for D and giving the Wrangler a salty bath he replaced it with a '09 ish Nissan Pathfinder.

Make me wonder how they come up with tow ratings now days

Jason
Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #95

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
This is a good discussion on TVs.
Let's please keep this thread on the 'high road' and away from the why/wherefore of US/Euro tow ratings, because we'll only go downhill from there.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 PM   #96

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Let's please keep this thread on the 'high road' and away from the why/wherefore of US/Euro tow ratings, because we'll only go downhill from there.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #97

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
...we'll only go downhill from there.
I presume going downhill would increase tow limits, if equipped with brakes?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #98

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
LOL, Glenn, you are correct, Sir!