Tow vehicles for Scamp 5th wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #15

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
My hitch "sits" on the bed, but it bolted to the frame. The back bolts are in fact the bolts that hold the bed onto the frame. Pulled them out and mounted the hitch and replaced the bolts. The other bolts are through the frame with spacers used where the bed did not sit on the frame. Works for me.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #16

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth dowd View Post
A 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 came with the trailer, a nice clean truck with a fresh transmission and less than 100k miles!
My 94 Ranger's manual lists 4 pages of tow data for various options. The right combination makes it a work horse for towing. Limiting factor is something like 48 square feet of frontal area for the trailer. But that might just be for my setup.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 19'
Texas
Registry
This I all exciting. At 4:30 today I ordered my 2014 Scamp 19' Deluxe. Delivery date set for December 6th. I will be towing with a 2011 Nissan Frontier. I am ready to hit the road!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Bill and congratulations.
That will make you a "happier" camper.
Let's see some pics when you get it.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #19

Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Oregon
Registry
We tow our Scamp 5er with a 3.0L V-6 Ranger, and have taken it up ovet the continental divide a few times. It doesn't power up the hills, but it gets there and provides decent fuel economy.

A couple thoughts on our setup. First, I do wish we had just a bit more power, but where the Ranger really can't keep up is in the transmission setup, which is common to both the 3.0L and 4.0L engines. If you tow uphills with a Ranger, make sure you add an after-market oil cooler into the mix.

A second thought is brakes. Fully loaded, our TV/Trailer combo rides right at our Rangers gross combined vehicle weight reccomendation (GCVR), and I've noticed the brakes have started to "pulse" a bit, probably due to overheating and warping the brake rotors and drums while braking with the trailer. Before I buy another truck, I will make sure I know what it's actual GCVR is and make sure I have a bit more headroom after adding in the weight of my passengers and gear to the truck/trailer combo.

Another thing to check is whether the truck you plan to buy will fit under your trailer. You can only lift a trailer so much before it becomes both a home on stilts that requires a stepladder to get in and out of and an unsafe, top-heavy trailer to tow.

Finally, I'm hoping replacing our pickup can wait until there are some small diesel pickups available. The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon is supposed to get a 4cylinder diesel in the 2015 model year, and should get great fuel economy and be more than competent for enough towing our trailer.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
Fully loaded, our TV/Trailer combo rides right at our Rangers gross combined vehicle weight reccomendation (GCVR)...
Gross Combination Weight Rating, or sometimes Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)... just so anyone searching the forum for this term will find this discussion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #21

Name: Gigi
Trailer: Scamp 19
Tennessee
Scamp and Tundra issues

Anyone out there towing a Scamp 19 fifth wheel with a Toyota Tundra crew cab 4x4?

We have not purchased either yet, because we are still in research mode.

My husband likes the big Tundra. I saw something about raising the hitch?

Does this increase the exterior height of the Scamp?

Our big issue is that our garage door is ten feet high, and we want to fit the Scamp into the garage.

Any suggestions and info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #22

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Check the height of the side walls of truck and the length of the trailer hitch neck to see if it will work. The Scamp are intended for smaller trucks.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Having never owner a fifth wheel, I can only assume that the trailer should be oriented level or front slightly down to avoid sway like any other trailer. If that's the case then raising the hitch to clear the bed must be countered by a spacer at the axle. Correct? Raz
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Having never owner a fifth wheel, I can only assume that the trailer should be oriented level or front slightly down to avoid sway like any other trailer. If that's the case then raising the hitch to clear the bed must be countered by a spacer at the axle. Correct? Raz
Yes, it's raised by adding a frame rail under the current one. Scamp sold me all the pieces along with my new axle.

It went from this:

To this (new axle plus 3" frame rail):

I probably should have added the 1.5" spacers they sent as well, but it tows like a dream, and will level out if the pickup is loaded, so no big deal.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #25

Florida
Is it my imagination or does the pictures look like two different Scamps?
Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #26

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sullivan View Post
Is it my imagination or does the pictures look like two different Scamps?
It's the same trailer. (Then again, not really)
It's been completely redone top to bottom, front to back.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #27

Florida
I should have said more in my last post. I noticed it was different and sent the note on and hit the send button before I was ready. It was a very good refurbish job and probably took a long time to due. nice Job. Sorry for my rapid button pushing . Nice Job
Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #28

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Haha, best compliment I could get! There's still more to go.

Tags
scamp