Tow vehicles for Scamp 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: ken
Trailer: scamp
California
Tow vehicles for Scamp 5th wheel

I'm looking for advice from experienced Scamp 5th wheel owners on the selection of a tow vehicle. A 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 came with the trailer, a nice clean truck with a fresh transmission and less than 100k miles! I live in Northern Ca. and anticipate lots of mountain passages. I'm sure the Ranger is up to the task but I would like a little more power and for that reason I'm thinking about a late model 1/2 ton V8.
I'm not here to start a debate between the Chev, Ford ,Dodge folks just looking for info people would like to shair with me.
One question that pops up for me is that all the late model domestic truck beds are so tall now! Does that presents a problem for hooking up a Scamp 5th wheel? Also, long bed or short bed or does it matter with the Scamp? My Ranger is giving me about 14 MPG towing, what are folks getting now days with the newer V8 rigs?
I'm new to this forum and appologize if this topic has allready been beaten to death.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Ken.
Scamp 5ers will be around shortly.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #3

Name: Fran L and Dave W
Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
New Mexico
Registry
We towed our Scamp 5th wheel with a Frontier crew cab, short bed (5 feet!) Pro4x 4wd model. Towed fine...we got about 15mpg towing and about 21 mpg on the open road without the trailer.
The trailer had a 1.5 inch lift and cleared the bed sides fine. However, we had to mount the hitch a few inches behind the axle to get clearance for turning without the front of the trailer hitting the back of the truck cab.

We're now using the same truck to tow a 2008 Escape fifth wheel.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I tow Scamp 5ers, both standard and lifted trailers, with a 2007 Nissan Frontier 4X4 crew cab. If you are planning on using an older 1500 or F-150 I would recommend you do an axle lift by using a high lift axle or by using 3" metal axle lift spacers. The Frontier V-6 4.0 has plenty of power for east coast mountains and I get about the same mileage as Fran. The Frontier also has a metal bed.
Eddie
Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I pull mine with a nissan titan. I replaced the axle along with a 3" lift (wish I went 1.5" more), and 225/75/15 tires.

I didn't like scamps hitch setup, and it wasn't long enough for the truck to clear in a turn. I built my own, and now I can hook up with the tailgate down (even once I relocate the propane tanks to between the frame). It makes life easier, and prevents the oopsy of having to unhook, drive forward, and (hopefully) stop and let the tailgate down. It's also a real fifth wheel now. The truck has a 6.5' bed.

As for mileage, I get about 11.5-12 doing 75-80 with overdrive off. I also have intake/exhaust/custom tune on the computer, so factory mileage would be better.

My scamp is an '84, not sure what changes were made through the years with height, etc. .
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
We did the Reese hitch modification and our 2010 5ver was elevated for our Tundra.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Hey Ken welcome to the forum. I pull mine with a 2012 Chevrolet Colorado with the I-5 Engine.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth dowd View Post
I'm looking for advice from experienced Scamp 5th wheel owners on the selection of a tow vehicle. A 1994 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6 came with the trailer, a nice clean truck with a fresh transmission and less than 100k miles! I live in Northern Ca. and anticipate lots of mountain passages. I'm sure the Ranger is up to the task but I would like a little more power and for that reason I'm thinking about a late model 1/2 ton V8.
I'm not here to start a debate between the Chev, Ford ,Dodge folks just looking for info people would like to shair with me.
One question that pops up for me is that all the late model domestic truck beds are so tall now! Does that presents a problem for hooking up a Scamp 5th wheel? Also, long bed or short bed or does it matter with the Scamp? My Ranger is giving me about 14 MPG towing, what are folks getting now days with the newer V8 rigs?
I'm new to this forum and appologize if this topic has allready been beaten to death.
Keep the Ranger, but if you don't,then sell it outright, you should get top dollar on the used market,but not on trade-in.
Also the newer Ranger 4.0L SOHC engine is a whole different animal with a lot more tow power.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Name: Karen
Trailer: Formerly Bigfoot 25RB21 and Scamp 19
Colorado
We pulled our Scamp 5er with a Nissan Titan. The trailer was lifted to accommodate a 1/2 ton truck and had 14 in. tires. Drove all over the mountains here with no problems whatsoever. I loved that truck and trailer combo.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #10

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Also Ken I have the 5 ft bed. I have one of the roll up covers too. When I get where I'm going and unhook; i cover the bed given lots of room for storage. We have two big red containers that we slide into the Scamp before leaving. It has all my man stuff for everything I need for camping and the camper outside. Works great for us.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #11

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Tacoma

I sold my 5er this month. I used a Tacoma
Attached Thumbnails
2010_0704etrailer0008.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #12

Name: Mike & Helene
Trailer: Scamp 5er
Florida
I tow my 5er with a tacoma. 4cl. Works just fine. A little slow on long grades but I always make it.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #13

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
Tacoma

The newer ones have a composite bed that make it exstreamley difficult to mount
the hitch. There are no kits for attaching it. Mine is a TRD 4L and pulled it just fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #14

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
All hitches should mount to the frame, anyway. No (regular) pickup bed was ever designed to pull a trailer.

Tags
scamp