Towable with my minivan? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #43
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Here's a picture I saw recently...not that I would do this, but it's interesting.Attachment 74355
Nice looking rig Mike. Did you get a chance to talk to the owner to get any details, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
And, not to start a bun fight, that vehicle is built and sold in Europe too - where it has a 100lb lower towing capacity than in North America.
Without the use of a WDH in Europe shouldn't it be lower?? I think it should.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #44

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Upper Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Here's a picture I saw recently...not that I would do this, but it's interesting.

Attachment 74355
Wow, that has got to be a fake picture! Right? That guy has got to be way over the tow rating. Yikes!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #45

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
It was a Can-Am setup. The trailer exceeded 30'. They were traveling from Ontario to Alberta.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #46

Upper Midwest
Got it. That makes sense.

Sent from my XT1045 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #47

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
So, at what speed do you think that combo would attempt to merge with highway traffic ( 110 KPH ), using your typical on-ramp? Could it possibly have reached 60 KPH?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #48
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, at what speed do you think that combo would attempt to merge with highway traffic ( 110 KPH ), using your typical on-ramp? Could it possibly have reached 60 KPH?
This 70's Chev Impala weighed 4,400 lbs and with a 396ci V8 produced 265HP. It came with a 3 speed auto.

The modern Dodge Caravan also weighs 4,400lbs, and produces almost 300HP. The 6 speed tranny is a huge advantage over the dated 70's 3 speed.

There was a good article in RV Lifestyle mag about the Caravans and how well they were at towing the fair size TT's.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #49

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
I'm sure Torque is a factor in there too.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #50
MC1

Ontario
Melissa, you are so right. Torque is a big factor and helps pull up the performance value on the side of the old Chevy.

In the end I would guess the overall towing grunt of the Chev and the Dodge Caravan would be pretty much the same.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #51

Upper Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Melissa, you are so right. Torque is a big factor and helps pull up the performance value on the side of the old Chevy.

In the end I would guess the overall towing grunt of the Chev and the Dodge Caravan would be pretty much the same.
That is such a neat picture of that impala. Interesting stuff!
Old 08-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #52

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
We towed our 16' scamp with a Chrysler Town and a Country for several years. It was equipped with the factory tow package which allowed me to tow up to 3500 pounds. Our Town and a Country before that was not equipped with a tow package and could only tow 2000 pounds so you really need to see how your van is equipped. When I was looking for one to replace the old van with no tow package I would call ads and ask if it had the factory tow package and they would all reply, "Yep, it's got a hitch!" I would then ask if it had the transmission and oil cooler and all of the other stuff that actually came with the factory tow package and most then realized their van did not have the factory tow package. It took me a long time to find one.

Even with the tow package I was not a fan of the minivan as a tow vehicle. I love minivans, just not minivans towing trailers. You had to tow with overdrive off which left you screaming along at 3500 rpm if you were trying to get somewhere with some speed. In my case, time was more important than money so we drove fast. We just didn't have the luxury of spare time to drive 55 mph. We are much happier with our current Ford Expedition. Overkill for a Scamp? Yes, but it sure does it pull it around nicely!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #53

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I wouldn't tow anything with a Chrysler minivan, but that's just me. The only good one my parents ever had was a 4 banger with a manual transmission from the mid 80's(?). Every v6 we had (3) had head gasket failures, one head, one engine, multiple transmissions in each, one tranny controller, and good luck getting a year out of high dollar shocks. They were all under 200k miles. We were on a gravel road, and they did NOT hold up to it. Then again, I doubt it was all our road, because they had stacks of transaxles in plastic cases in a dealership in a town of 12,000 people. I think they had 11 on hand the last time we had it done.

They gave up and bought a CRV. It had nearly 100,000 on it, and dad had changed one headlight bulb...I wasn't a fan of it, but it was sure reliable, and good on ice for a lighter vehicle. That thing went through more snow than it should have. Oh, and it was still worth quite a bit when they sold it. The dodges were barely worth selling over scrapping.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #54
MC1

Ontario
J.J. you are so right about the older Chrysler mini van offerings. Generlly speaking. unreliable, poor brakes, etc made them wrong for towing.
The newer ones are much better.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #55

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I agree MC1. I have a 06 Chrysler Town & Country. No problem towing my 16' Scamp, & before that Casita. They are rated for 3600 lbs. I have over 120K on my unit and have not had any serious problems with it.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #56

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
On a trip out in Colo. my sisters had the head gasket problem. This was back around the 80's. Those aluminum heads tended to warp from heat much easier than the old cast iron ones. Towing large pop up through the mountains while it did not overheat it did have long periods of max temp. It was enough apparently.

Think the auto companies eventually figured out how to address heat and the aluminum heads but back then the shop in Colo. said it was a common problem.