Towing 101 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Orginally posted by PineConeDon

Good information.....

'assuming' you don't have a WDH connected.

Don't laugh, it's been done. :)
Hi....For what it is worth...I read a trailer towing article once that said that a WDH is just a crutch for a poorly loaded trailer.....I used to pull a car trailer with my kids car on it without a WDH and never had a problem if the car was spotted on the marks that I made on the trailer deck. But I guess that with the changing trailer weight distribution with a travel trailer it makes sense to use a WDH. What with the water tanks being full or empty or in between and also varying cargo placement...Benny

Old 05-06-2003, 07:22 AM   #16

Benny, couldn't you take your set up some where to have it looked at? I've seen some home made stuff that's over kill solid. now mine would be put together with chewing gum, but yours sounds like you know what your doing. If they don't have an inspector how can they get you for being creative? I know, I don't know what I'm talking about, but if it's not going to fall apart - - well think about it.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #17

Properly weighing your trailer

Benny said:

>>"...I read a trailer towing article once that said that a WDH is just a crutch for a poorly loaded trailer.....">>

Bad information!!! :o
Old 05-06-2003, 02:37 PM   #18

Bumper hitch receiver??? NO NO

:wave benny, You are safer towing with your bumper mounted ball than you are with a bumper mounted receiver and I hope I can explain this correctly. With your ball on the bumper you have all you tongue weight pushing down directly over your bumper and it will carry 500 lbs weight as per your manual. Now you mount a receiver on the bumper and although its flush with the rear edge of the bumper once you insert the ball mount w/ball it will stick out about 5 or 6 inches and you've added a twist facter into the situation. :conf
When I bought my Casita in Virginia I had to tow it to Florida and I had a Toyota T100 which also was rated for 500# tongue weight and I had a bumper mounted receiver. While cruising at 65 to70 mph I came to a real bad dip in the road and at the next pit stop I started to check everything out and the bumper had twisted enough that the ball was drooping backwards.:shg I had to unhook the trailer and a trucker had a pipe that fit into the receiver and with him and I pulling up:banana on the pipe we were able to get the bumper twisted back where it belonged. I unbolted the receiver from the bumper and put the ball directly in the bumper and had no problems the rest of the trip.:cheers Those bumper receivers are useless for a trailer with any weight to it at all. bill
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Orginally posted by Bill MacDermod
Those bumper receivers are useless for a trailer with any weight to it at all. bill
Howdy, I went to a top trailer hitch manufacturer and installer in Winnipeg today and he mentioned the bumper twist which I know can happen with enough load and leverage but you were probably pulling a Casita with about a 250 lb. tongue weight and not a 13 ft Boler with a 150 lb. tongue weight. So I think that any way in the near future I will put on a class 4 frame hitch because I`ve seen them priced at $99.00 around here. And I also have various draw bar tubes because I have that class on my other truck. I`ll be doing this not because I don`t have faith in my knowledge or workmanship but possibly to satisfy some highway inspector someplace down the road that was never employed as a welder or is a journey man machinist but says that in his book it`s no good.....Anyway happy trailering...Benny
Old 05-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #20

I used to have a Plymouth Arrow pickup truck with a custom-built step bumper on it. It was rated for 1300 lbs tongue weight and 15,000 pounds towing (?!) On a 4-cylinder pickup, no less! The suspension was spec'd as a 1-ton truck. I loved that truck, but the tranny was still a stock Mitsubishi 5-speed, so that limited it.

A frame mounted hitch will tow better than a bumper hitch. First time you tow after having it installed, you'll feel the difference. Bumpers are for bumping. Hitches are for hitching. t'aint the same thing!
Old 05-08-2003, 01:37 PM   #21

hitches

:wave paul, you are absolutely right but my remarks were for the fella that commented on a bumper mounted receiver as opposed to the ball mounted to the bumper. For what Benny is towing he's probably ok but when you mount that bumper receiver sometime down the line your tempted to try and tow something much heavier than it can handle which is what I did:inbox . happy camping from a happy camper :cblob Bill
Old 05-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #22

I agree. With the step bumper I had on that pickup, a bumper mounted receiver would have been fine. But, it was an unusual step bumper. I put a bumper mounted receiver on the back of my old TT, to carry a bike rack. We went about 300 miles south, and when we stopped, my bikes were almost dragging the ground -- the bumper had twisted. Several hours and some heavy steel plate later, the bumper was straight and never to twist again.

That aside, step bumpers put the hitch ball several inches higher than a frame hitch, and it is, in most cases, too high. A frame hitch better aligns the trailer to the tow vehicle, as well as providing a better mounting point. You've invested in a great travel trailer, don't skimp on the hitch. It's part of the cost of trailering, and needs to be looked at that way, not as an "extra".
Old 05-08-2003, 08:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Orginally posted by Paul E Henning
Bumpers are for bumping. *Hitches are for hitching. *t'aint the same thing!
Howdy, If this quote is right then I guess that people that make tow hitches to fit the newer style GM trucks are in the wrong business as all the ones that I have seen mount not only to the frame but also to the bumper. My old 90 GM clunker has the hitch attached only to the frame. So BUMPERS ARE FOR MORE THAN BUMPING.....Also if you are pulling a trailer with a high hitch that lines up with the bumper mounted ball or a slammed truck with a low bumper and a lower trailer tongue it doesn`t matter where your ball is mounted as long as your trailer is level . ....Benny