Towing 13' in snow - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Chains serve no purpose on a trailer with no brakes. If you stop the TV with chains the trailer is still going to be pushing you and trying not to stop. I would rather have a trailer with brakes anytime. If I have to chain it I think 2 axles with chains are far better than 1 for stopping.
People need to start thinking of tire chains for their braking advantages as well as traction devices.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #30

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I realize we are talking about little trailers but has anyone who lives in the Western Part of the country that requires chains on any trailer with brakes noticed if they ever seen any semi trucks with chains on the trailer?_____ Percentage that do?___
I'm on the east coast and never seen it here. Not saying it's not good or taking sides i find this post very interesting and if it was a law then every semi that doesn't comply could be ticketed? The big companies like JB Hunt, Schneider etc would have them on to keep themselves from liabilities in case of an accident?
Joe

Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 AM   #31

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Joe, it's all about individual state laws. For instance, what one person can do in Montana may not be legal (or illegal) in Washington.

I work for Con-way. Our operations manual has policies and procedures about chaining up and requirements. Believe me, the rules are a lot more restrictive than any state law. You can bet JB Hunt, Schneider and the rest are the same.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #32

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Here in BC commercial trucks over 27,000 kg GVW must carry chains from October 1st to April 30th. The major problem areas have chain up pull outs for both commerical trucks and passenger vechiles, with big flashing lights advising that you must chain up.

There is also a Dept. of Highways website you can go to that will tell you what roads have chain up in effect so you can choose an alternatite route if there is one. As far as the % of how many chain up -If you don't want a *big* fine you chain up.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #33

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
But I think what Joe is asking is whether the semi drivers chain up on the trailer when they are chaining up on the truck (drive wheels). I think he was thinking along the lines of semi-trailer chain use being analogous to egg-trailer chain use (wherein both trailers have non-driving but braked wheels). Or at at least an interesting data point.

I haven't driven the mountains in quite a while and I can't remember if they chain up on all wheels or just on drive wheels.

Raya
Old 11-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #34

British Columbia
Registry
*Sorry* Raya - the BC rules for commerical trailers vary as to the number of chains needed and what axels they go on depending on the number of axels on the trailer - sorry haven't found the link to the actual regs - but I meant to included this pretty good web site that shows the chain laws by state for commerical vechiles State Tire Chain Laws and Regulations
Old 11-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #35

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the link. I checked the site. Since I don't know what size tires the big trucks use, I was not able to input the tire size (they ask for that first). Then I went to the state link for Colorado, figuring they have plenty of mountains and snow, but the link was dead.

I probably could search further, but since I think we have a few ex- or current truckers here, could someone comment as to whether *typically* the big rigs chain up non-drive-but-braked wheels when they chain up drive wheels? I would rather know that than the laws anyway (and I think that would answer Joe's question too).

Raya
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #36

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Joe, it's all about individual state laws. For instance, what one person can do in Montana may not be legal (or illegal) in Washington.

I work for Con-way. Our operations manual has policies and procedures about chaining up and requirements. Believe me, the rules are a lot more restrictive than any state law. You can bet JB Hunt, Schneider and the rest are the same.
Thanks Donna.... I worked for con-way eastern back in the 80's as a freight hauler for a short while out of new jersey and no chains where ever used there but like you say all states are different.
Joe

Raya..... that's exactly what i am asking if they also chain up the non-powered wheels on a trailer that have brakes(if it's a law out west then???).... I know 100% that the drive wheels are required. the tire size on most semi's are 11x22.5 or 11x24.5 which are tubeless the old tube type on semi's are 10x35's. Not saying it isn't so but i just never pulled into a truck stop in the winter and seen chains on the trailers of a Semi anywhere east of the Mississippi.Many on the drives of the tractor though.
post back please if you find more info
Joe
Joe
Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Thanks Donna.... I worked for con-way eastern back in the 80's as a freight hauler for a short while out of new jersey and no chains where ever used there but like you say all states are different.
Joe
Ahhh good ole CEX! And Joe, rules/laws change in say 25+ years.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
Joe through the link I posted I found some regs for for the west (there may be more) with nice drawings which may or may not answer your question :-)

Oregon:
TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

California:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf
Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 PM   #39

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
It looks like not just any chains will do for trailers. It is recommended to get different type than for the drive wheels.
Quote:
Do Tire Chains do anything for a trailer?
Yes, they assist in braking and reducing lateral sway.

Which type of chains are recommended for trailers?
Diamonds or Diagonal Cable chains are recommended for trailers since their patterns provide the most lateral sway control.
Traditional ladder style chains provide little to no sway control.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #40

New River AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ahhh good ole CEX! And Joe, rules/laws change in say 25+ years.....
took a lot of ribbing with those initials at my stops LOL
Joe
Old 12-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #41

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Living in Montana, towing our Scamperoonie in snow can happen for about nine to ten months of the year. The picture attached was this past June.

In snow conditions, slow down, and if the conditions turn to white out, find a spot to pull over and wait it out. The biggest blizzards are over usually in a few hours to a day at max. Point the tug into the wind if you can when you park. It is better to wait it out and be alive and unbanged up than in a pile up in a white out.

If lot of people are passing you, pull over and let them pass, maintain double or triple the distance to vehicles in front of you for adequate stopping distance.

And yes good tire chains for your tow vehicle are strongly recommended, mine stay in the rig year round, studded chains for the rear axle and a diagonal cable set for the front when it is really lousy. That being said, my personal rule of thumb is if four wheel drive is needed on paved roads or highways, when pulling the trailer, then before I will usually put on my chains, I'll pull over and wait it out when the going is sufficiently bad enough to warrant using chains. I can deal with being a bit late easier than being in an accident.

Just be careful out there.

Garo
Old 12-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #42

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
attached pic of Scamperoonie in snow wiht Daisy at the wheel

Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
MacDonald Pass-6-11-10.JPG