Towing 13' in snow - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
chains are mean for traction on driving wheels ........Period

Bruce, what's going to happen of you have to stop your TV on an icy road and your chain less trailer with brakes locks up the trailer wheels, starts to skid and pass the TV?
You seem to forget the most important use of chains is to help STOP the vehicle on an icy surface.
Installing chains is a real pain in the butt. Years ago I chained my PU and not my trailer, ti had brakes, to move about 2 miles down a flat but icy road to a friends barn. About 1/2 way there a kid on a sled crossed in front of me and I had to stop quickly. I ended up with a bent tongue and damage to my PU rear bumper.
The trailer slipping and sliding around almost put me in the ditch.
REMEMBER, YOU CAN MOVE VIRTUALLY ANY VEHICLE ON AN ICY SURFACE BUT WITHOUT CHAINS YOU WILL HAVE A HELL OF A TIME STOPPING IT.
Most snow prone states now require you to chain trailer with brakes when chains are required.
Caps were not hollering but for emphasis.
I was a sheriffs deputy a long time ago and saw many accidents when the people towing trailers with brakes were to lazy to chain the trailer up when they chained the TV.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'll be restoring a light 13' Cadet next summer, and have considered installing electric brakes, thinking it would be good for winter travel out of the North. I plan to load the Harley in the pickup bed, hook up the Cadet, and head to the gulf for a couple of weeks mid-winter. Now, having read about the problems braking on ice etc., I'm having second thoughts about that. Pros and cons here?
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:28 AM   #23

Chain up, drive safley and you should have no problem other than freezing your butt off while applying the chains. Enjoy the warm weather. It's the people that are not properly prepared that get in the most trouble.
John
Old 11-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trailer Tire Chains
Old 11-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Bruce, what's going to happen of you have to stop your TV on an icy road and your chain less trailer with brakes locks up the trailer wheels, starts to skid and pass the TV?
You seem to forget the most important use of chains is to help STOP the vehicle on an icy surface.
Installing chains is a real pain in the butt. Years ago I chained my PU and not my trailer, ti had brakes, to move about 2 miles down a flat but icy road to a friends barn. About 1/2 way there a kid on a sled crossed in front of me and I had to stop quickly. I ended up with a bent tongue and damage to my PU rear bumper.
The trailer slipping and sliding around almost put me in the ditch.
REMEMBER, YOU CAN MOVE VIRTUALLY ANY VEHICLE ON AN ICY SURFACE BUT WITHOUT CHAINS YOU WILL HAVE A HELL OF A TIME STOPPING IT.
Most snow prone states now require you to chain trailer with brakes when chains are required.
Caps were not hollering but for emphasis.
I was a sheriffs deputy a long time ago and saw many accidents when the people towing trailers with brakes were to lazy to chain the trailer up when they chained the TV.
John
'll tell you exactly whats gonna happen to the axle with brakes and chains on it...you now have an ice skate.
Deputies aren't experts either...calling someone in a ditch with their camper "Lazy" tells me his mind is.
Because some dingdong wrote a law he or she will never fully understand ..doesnt make it the way. Slow down or refrain from towing on ice when possible...In closing all I'll say is "if I'm right, you'll get taken out by your own creation"
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
'll tell you exactly whats gonna happen to the axle with brakes and chains on it...you now have an ice skate.
Deputies aren't experts either...calling someone in a ditch with their camper "Lazy" tells me his mind is.
Because some dingdong wrote a law he or she will never fully understand ..doesnt make it the way. Slow down or refrain from towing on ice when possible...In closing all I'll say is "if I'm right, you'll get taken out by your own creation"
Most chains only have a chain that goes across the tread every 4th link of the chain that goes around the side. That means as the tire is rolling, a chain is on the ground only 1/4 of the time. If you apply the trailer brakes on ice, and lock up the wheels, 75% of the time the chains will not even help.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #27

Bruce your logic fails me. What happens to your vehicle when you attempt to stop on an icy road without chains? It becomes an ice skate as does your trailer. I know from real world EXPERIENCE. I almost ended up in a ditch once because I was LAZY, that's where my mind is. I was almost taken out by my own laziness.
I do agree, one should slow down and not tow in icy conditions if possible.
So much for civility!
It's apparent your knowledge and driving skills are better than a mere mortal such as my self and others. I hope someone doesn't have an accident while following your advice.
Better safe than sorry!
I have been towing something for 45 years. Everything from large stock trailers, fifth wheels, tent trailers, travel trailers, boat trailers and now my 16' Scamp, ATV trailer and fixed keel sailboat trailer which I presently own.
I have never been this strident in in voicing my opinion on this site. I know from personal experience and observation not chaining you trailer when you chain the TV is dangerous, often illegal and asking for an accident.

I apologize in advance if anyone is offended by the manner in which I made my point but not for what I said. I've seen to many needless traffic accidents in my career.
John
Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I'll be restoring a light 13' Cadet next summer, and have considered installing electric brakes, thinking it would be good for winter travel out of the North. I plan to load the Harley in the pickup bed, hook up the Cadet, and head to the gulf for a couple of weeks mid-winter. Now, having read about the problems braking on ice etc., I'm having second thoughts about that. Pros and cons here?
Sorry...I wasn't very clear. I'm trying to determine if it is better to do snow/ice with a small camper with electric brakes and chains, or no brakes and no chains.
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #29

Chains serve no purpose on a trailer with no brakes. If you stop the TV with chains the trailer is still going to be pushing you and trying not to stop. I would rather have a trailer with brakes anytime. If I have to chain it I think 2 axles with chains are far better than 1 for stopping.
People need to start thinking of tire chains for their braking advantages as well as traction devices.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:44 AM   #30

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I realize we are talking about little trailers but has anyone who lives in the Western Part of the country that requires chains on any trailer with brakes noticed if they ever seen any semi trucks with chains on the trailer?_____ Percentage that do?___
I'm on the east coast and never seen it here. Not saying it's not good or taking sides i find this post very interesting and if it was a law then every semi that doesn't comply could be ticketed? The big companies like JB Hunt, Schneider etc would have them on to keep themselves from liabilities in case of an accident?
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #31

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Joe, it's all about individual state laws. For instance, what one person can do in Montana may not be legal (or illegal) in Washington.

I work for Con-way. Our operations manual has policies and procedures about chaining up and requirements. Believe me, the rules are a lot more restrictive than any state law. You can bet JB Hunt, Schneider and the rest are the same.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #32

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Here in BC commercial trucks over 27,000 kg GVW must carry chains from October 1st to April 30th. The major problem areas have chain up pull outs for both commerical trucks and passenger vechiles, with big flashing lights advising that you must chain up.

There is also a Dept. of Highways website you can go to that will tell you what roads have chain up in effect so you can choose an alternatite route if there is one. As far as the % of how many chain up -If you don't want a *big* fine you chain up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #33

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
But I think what Joe is asking is whether the semi drivers chain up on the trailer when they are chaining up on the truck (drive wheels). I think he was thinking along the lines of semi-trailer chain use being analogous to egg-trailer chain use (wherein both trailers have non-driving but braked wheels). Or at at least an interesting data point.

I haven't driven the mountains in quite a while and I can't remember if they chain up on all wheels or just on drive wheels.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #34

Registry
*Sorry* Raya - the BC rules for commerical trailers vary as to the number of chains needed and what axels they go on depending on the number of axels on the trailer - sorry haven't found the link to the actual regs - but I meant to included this pretty good web site that shows the chain laws by state for commerical vechiles State Tire Chain Laws and Regulations
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the link. I checked the site. Since I don't know what size tires the big trucks use, I was not able to input the tire size (they ask for that first). Then I went to the state link for Colorado, figuring they have plenty of mountains and snow, but the link was dead.

I probably could search further, but since I think we have a few ex- or current truckers here, could someone comment as to whether *typically* the big rigs chain up non-drive-but-braked wheels when they chain up drive wheels? I would rather know that than the laws anyway (and I think that would answer Joe's question too).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Joe, it's all about individual state laws. For instance, what one person can do in Montana may not be legal (or illegal) in Washington.

I work for Con-way. Our operations manual has policies and procedures about chaining up and requirements. Believe me, the rules are a lot more restrictive than any state law. You can bet JB Hunt, Schneider and the rest are the same.
Thanks Donna.... I worked for con-way eastern back in the 80's as a freight hauler for a short while out of new jersey and no chains where ever used there but like you say all states are different.
Joe

Raya..... that's exactly what i am asking if they also chain up the non-powered wheels on a trailer that have brakes(if it's a law out west then???).... I know 100% that the drive wheels are required. the tire size on most semi's are 11x22.5 or 11x24.5 which are tubeless the old tube type on semi's are 10x35's. Not saying it isn't so but i just never pulled into a truck stop in the winter and seen chains on the trailers of a Semi anywhere east of the Mississippi.Many on the drives of the tractor though.
post back please if you find more info
Joe
Joe
Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
Thanks Donna.... I worked for con-way eastern back in the 80's as a freight hauler for a short while out of new jersey and no chains where ever used there but like you say all states are different.
Joe
Ahhh good ole CEX! And Joe, rules/laws change in say 25+ years.....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #38

Registry
Joe through the link I posted I found some regs for for the west (there may be more) with nice drawings which may or may not answer your question :-)

Oregon:
TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

California:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf
Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #39

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
It looks like not just any chains will do for trailers. It is recommended to get different type than for the drive wheels.
Quote:
Do Tire Chains do anything for a trailer?
Yes, they assist in braking and reducing lateral sway.

Which type of chains are recommended for trailers?
Diamonds or Diagonal Cable chains are recommended for trailers since their patterns provide the most lateral sway control.
Traditional ladder style chains provide little to no sway control.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ahhh good ole CEX! And Joe, rules/laws change in say 25+ years.....
took a lot of ribbing with those initials at my stops LOL
Joe