towing 13' Scamp with 4-Cyl Rav4? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
towing 13' Scamp with 4-Cyl Rav4?

Hi, my wife and I are new to rv'ing and wondered if our 2011 rav4 4-cylinder would be okay towing a 13' Scamp trailer. We wanted to get a bigger trailer but finances and gasoline what they are we think the 13' would be the best way to go for our family of 4. Thanks,

Jared
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Not likely.
And when you are checking what your RAV 4-cylinder is rated to tow, and the tongue weight it can handle ( all minimal ), keep in mind that your overall weight allowed includes your family of four and all their personal belongings.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
The Rav4's are popular TV's for the egg crowd. They weigh well over 4,000lbs ready for travel. Just beware of your weights and be sure the connection set up is optimal.
Attached Thumbnails
rav4 scamp IMG_0823.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #4

The RAV4 V6 with tow prep package is popular with the egg crowd. There is a distinction.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I agree with Glenn. We bought the RAV4 6 cyl. Before it was discontinued from the Toyota line.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The Rav4's are popular TV's for the egg crowd.
Funny I never meet an owner of a RAV4 4 cylinder that the OP has who have tried pulling 13' Bolers with them suggest that. They actually suggest the opposite.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
We too bought the V6.

Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I agree with Glenn. We bought the RAV4 6 cyl. Before it was discontinued from the Toyota line.

Nancy
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
When I had my 13' Scamp, I towed it with a 4 cyl S10 pickup, 5 speed manual with NO problems.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
We too bought the V6.

Melissa
The V6 will work too. We also tow with a V6. With our 23' connected it gets our rig from 0 to 60MPH in 16 seconds. With the 4cyl it will take a bit more time. SAE expectation is 35sec or less.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:27 PM   #10

Never give up.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Looks like you will be just over limits based on some information, but some other information indicates that those limits can be increased to meet your situation. Don't plan on going down the interstates hammer down, or through the mountains at full speed but looks like it can be worked out.

Edmunds.com has the 2011 rav4 4cyl. rated at 1500 lbs. with no mention of hitch/tongue weight. Which as has been pointed out needs to be subtracted from the 1,070 maximum capacity.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2...res-specs.html

Has asterisks next to those capacities that state:
When adequately equipped, which may require engine and/or other drivetrain upgrades.

There is however a thread at the Rav4 forum that goes into the upgrades (dealer and aftermarket) that can increase hitch weight from stock 170 lbs. to 350 lbs. And bump the tow capacity up over 1800 lbs. Many page thread I suggest your read and then consult with a Toyota dealer.

Toyota Rav4 2011 towing capacity - Toyota RAV4 Forums

Your going to be pushing the limits judging from this thread on trailer weights in the real world as weighed at rallies. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Look at the trailer weights, read the Rav4 group information, then you will be prepared to discuss in a knowledgeable way with the dealer. Otherwise unless someone owns your TV and trailer we all be just guessing and giving opinions. Mine is.... might be doable with some modifications.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jared, an excellent thread to check out before deciding on what trailer or tow to use is the one called Trailer Weights in the Real World. As many have discovered what their trailers really weigh is something very different from what the seller may tell you or what the manufactures dry weights are.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #13

You'll also discover that the dealer will tell you anything to close the sale.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post
Hi, my wife and I are new to rv'ing and wondered if our 2011 rav4 4-cylinder would be okay towing a 13' Scamp trailer. We wanted to get a bigger trailer but finances and gasoline what they are we think the 13' would be the best way to go for our family of 4. Thanks,

Jared
Here are my thoughts:

I think you'll be just on the border, which is pretty much where I dwell tug-wise, too. Four cylinders can be a bit gutless, but ought to do fine except perhaps on steep uphill pulls.

These would be my concerns with your RAV/Scamp 13er combo:

1. Transmission cooling:
Not a concern if yours is a manual tranny; upfit may be needed if automatic.
2. Hitch weight:
Unless yours is one of the RAVs that came with the optional 3rd. row seating, you may have some sag problems if hitch gets much over 175 pounds.
3. Trailer brakes:
13' Scamps aren't typically thus equipped, and they're a necessity with any RAV 4 if towing a trailer weighing over a thousand pounds.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod View Post

Jared
First and foremost: Check your owners manual and/or with Toyota and determine the exact towing capacity for your particular vehicle, and ignore any suggestions that there is aftermarket stuff that can increase that value. The value once set is the value...period.

However, should you be tempted to stray and poo-poo those numbers, I suggest that you check with these three peeps before spending any money doing so:

1. The vehicle manufacturer, especially if there is any remaining warranty

2. Your insurance company and ask them what can happen to your coverage should you be in an accident involving a tow with an over tow-limit trailer.

3. Your atty, and ask her the same questions as you asked the ins co, except about what can happen to your bank account & net worth

Now, you also have to deal with maximum payload, with a family of 4 that would include every one on board, all stuff on board and the weight of the tongue on the hitch.

My thought: Just because someone else is doing it, doesn't make it one iota closer to being the right thing to do.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Engine size is not as much a factor as chassis design.
One consideration would be whether there is any difference in the Rav4 between the 4CYL and the 6Cyl (other than engine size).
Your driving habits and expectations must also be considered.
You must consider all factors including aftermarket mods,
( electric brakes for example)... then use informed common sense.

Sorta relevant...
I tow a 13Scamp with a properly equipped 4CYL Escape and have found it to be a capable TV. It tows most efficiently at a somewhat slower speed than it's 6Cyl counterpart...Top fuel mileage on average at around 58MPH.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
The Rav4's hitch attachment is plenty strong for a 13'. The engine isn't likely to be damaged by towing a 13'. If an automatic transmission, most definitely add a cooler, and lock out overdrive when towing.

That rig, with trailer brakes, would be plenty safe. Many 13's don't have brakes though, so you either find one that does or you check to see if the axle has mounting plates for adding brakes, and if not, you have to buy a new axle.

The performance of the 4 cyl will be lackluster. But it would get you there and back. Hopefully no long, steep grades along your route, as you might find yourself creeping uphill at 30 mph in 2nd gear.

Back in the '80s I towed a 13' UHaul egg 2000 miles (Michigan to Colorado & back) with a '84 Dodge Omni 2.2L 4 cyl and stick shift. 50 mph was realistic on level ground. Would I do it again? NO. The hitch was rated for 1000 lbs, and I had no trailer brakes, so we were lucky nothing went wrong. But they say ignorance is bliss, and we had fun.

The Rav4 would be considerably more capable than the old Omni. But it still will be slow going. My older brother has a 4 cyl Rav4 (2012 I think) and he happily tows his aluminum boat all over the place with it... but that boat sits lower than the Rav.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I tow a 13Scamp with a properly equipped 4CYL Escape and have found it to be a capable TV. It tows most efficiently at a somewhat slower speed than it's 6Cyl counterpart...Top fuel mileage on average at around 58MPG
Floyd, ya know I love ya but...WHAT????????

58mpg strikes me as shall we say an "unusually high" mpg report for the Escape, at least as compared with the averages recorded at websites like this one that's tracked vehicles for thousands of miles-
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: WTB a 19' Scamp
Ontario
thanks for the replies

hi folks,

thanks for the great replies, I've spoken with my local Toyota dealer. The service manager said that I would be okay, although I shouldn't load the trailer up to much with stuff, no full water tanks, and so forth. And don't go too far, monitor the engine temp. He also indicated that I didn't need a transmission cooler because the rav4's transmission cooler is heavy duty from the factory. I towed an 8' tent trailer last year that was 1400 lbs with the rav4. I didn't like it, not because the vehicle didn't do well, I thought the rav4 did very well. What I didn't like was how much the trailer bounced when I went over bumps and the resulting push/pull as the trailer hit the road again. I am not a trailer expert but I believe this was due to the suspension being not loaded on the trailer. The suspension was a leaf spring design which is the same as my utility trailer. When my utility trailer is empty it bounces a fair bit which is I believe to be the same as what the tent trailer did last year. Anyone have the "bouncing problem" with their travel trailer?

thanks,
jared
j-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Floyd, ya know I love ya but...WHAT????????

58mpg strikes me as shall we say an "unusually high" mpg report for the Escape, at least as compared with the averages recorded at websites like this one that's tracked vehicles for thousands of miles-
SORRY, I edited the comment.... To read 58 MPH! which is what I meant to say!
Thanks!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp