towing 13' with Eurovan? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM   #15

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
As noted above, the Eurovan does lose out on the airbag front. That is one big reason they are not sold any longer in North America. Our MV only has two airbags for the driver and passenger. Also, the jump seats can be less than ideal for car-pooling since the seats are rear-facing and may cause some problems for kids with car-sickness issues. We remove our jump seats to have more cargo space in the middle of the van. We also lower the bed when we need to haul large objects like a cabinet or wardrobe. The back shelf behind the rear seat can also be removed to allow for large items.

The final drawback for some folks can be the availability of service shops that will work on them. When we broke our radiator fans on a trip in West Virginia two years ago, the local shop would order the parts and let us use their tools, but didn't want to touch the actual repair because they hadn't seen one before. I did the work myself thanks to directions on the internet, so we came out OK. In the Chicago area, we have lots of VW dealers and import shops, so it's no problem here other than the cost of repairing imports! (I also always travel with my tools. I don't have any training, but I can follow directions!)

Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

The final drawback for some folks can be the availability of service shops that will work on them. When we broke our radiator fans on a trip in West Virginia two years ago, the local shop would order the parts and let us use their tools, but didn't want to touch the actual repair because they hadn't seen one before. I did the work myself thanks to directions on the internet, so we came out OK. In the Chicago area, we have lots of VW dealers and import shops, so it's no problem here other than the cost of repairing imports! (I also always travel with my tools. I don't have any training, but I can follow directions!)
I'v never ran across a shop that would allow a customer to do their own repairs.

That is impressive that you replaced the rad yourself and got the vehicle back on the road. Not many folks have the will, training, or talent to accomplish that repair.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #17

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
What about a GMC Safari or Chevy Astrovan. They have a tow capacity of 5000lbs, are rearwheel drive and have loads of room. Much easier to find too and would be less money out of pocket.
I towed with a Toyota Sienna for over 3yrs and it did fantastic with my T@b Teardrop and Scamp 13. I just took my first trip in my Rav4 and really miss the room of the Sienna. When it's time to replace my Rav4 I will probably move to the Highlander to gain back extra passenger/cargo space I lost from my Sienna.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #18
MC1

Ontario
The Astro's and Safari's will work but regardless of the tow rating would never be as good (overall ) as the newer Sienna's or Honda Oddy's. The Highlander is desirable as it has a great reliability record but again will not be as stable towing, or roomy as the Sienna.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #19

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I think you are probably referring to the fact that shops won't allow a customer to work inside the shop. I did the repairs in the parking area next to our cabin, about 100 yards away from the shop. Other than really tight quarters on the engine compartment, the repair just required loosening and tipping the radiator out of the way, loosening and moving the coolant tank out of the way, removing the fan assembly from the back of the radiator, and replacing the fans on the assembly frame. No coolant lines needed to be disconnected. It took about 2 hours for the whole thing since I was being very careful! I put in just one fan at that time (all we could order) and then did it again upon our return home when we got the second fan. I did it much faster that day!
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #20
MC1

Ontario
Oh I understand Kevin. Thought you changed the rad. I see it was the cooling fans. Still more than the average joe would take on.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #21

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I will chime in here and say that the Eurovan is very popular in Europe. Over there, it is called the Caravelle. I found the directions for the repair on a British forum for Eurovans.

We have also ordered parts from Europe on ebay. When the salesman did not provide the promised headrests, we bought those and the back support for the bed from German ebay. Happily, most Germans speak English.

Later, we got the promised headrests, so if you need any, we have extras.

CindyL