Towing 17'Casita with 2019 Tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
West Virginia
Towing 17'Casita with 2019 Tacoma

There seems to be no consensus on whether or not to use a WDH or sway bar (or both) when towing with a Toyota Tacoma truck. We have a newly acquired 2014 Casita Independence Deluxe which we towed back from TX behind our truck camper equipped Chevy 2500HD with no problems at all.

However, the PLAN is to use our 2019 Tacoma 6cyl./6speed auto, Access Cab with tow package to haul the Casita around the country.

Being from the "keep it simple" school, we would like to forgo the WDH and sway bar stuff if possible; it's just more hardware to mess with as far as we are concerned, especially if it's not really needed. Some say if you properly balance the trailer you'll be OK while others say not using these hitch attachments is to risk at least certain death.

We'd appreciate hearing about your experiences (good and bad) towing 17" Casitas (or similar outfits) with late model Toyotas; with and without WDH and sway bars.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Makwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have a 2013 Casita SD — Tongue weight 430 lbs.
I would stick with the Chevy 2500
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Only challenge I see is payload. That rating depends on the exact truck. Payload has to handle tongue weight plus all passengers and gear in the truck. Sticker on the drivers door jamb will tell you the payload rating. Anything added to the truck after the factory comes out of payload too. I see no need for a 3/4 ton truck on a 17 Casita.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

West Virginia
The truck camper will stay on the 3/4 ton. It's been there for 12 years and I intend to use it for solo travel often. I don't want to dismount the camper.

The Casita, towed with the Toyota. will be for travelling with the wife for long excursions a couple of times a year.
I'd like to hear from those folks who are, or are not, using a WDH or sway bar with a Tacoma as a tow vehicle with a 17' Casita or similar outfit.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #5

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Your new tow vehicle has very similar towing capacity plus the Electronic Sway Control feature that our Jeep Grand Cherokee has.

We towed a Casita 17' Deluxe with no additional sway control device nor a WDH.

Over mountains, Interstate highways, etc. Never even the slightest problem.

When we first got the Casita, my plan was to give it a try 'as is' on local roads, highways, etc. Then decide which way to go.

You might want to give it a try, then decide but I'm guessing your Taco will do a very good job 'as is'.

Plus it has all the modern safety features, better gas mileage, etc., compared to the older 2500.

Enjoy

Ed
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Name: Sgmhgg
Texas
My TV is a frontier w/3.3 V6. We tow a 17' Casita SD with a Anderson Hitch. Having towed many miles without a WDH, and now using one I definitely feel more secure with one. When we first got our trailer I was told I really didn't need one, but I didn't want that bouncing and lurching that you sometimes get in a light truck. I pull at 70 to 75 mph very smoothly with no issues. My truck is rated at 5000 lbs, which is less than your Tacoma, but with the 400lb plus Casita tongue weight I think it's well worth the money.
Sgmhgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #7

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgmhgg View Post
I pull at 70 to 75 mph....
That’s another variable.

Speed is a huge issue with trailer tires. Unless otherwise noted trailer tires are rated as 65 miles per hour as their max speed. Exceeding the speed rating will cause the tire to heat up and fail easier.
You can buy ST tires with a higher speed rating but most people don’t want to spend the extra $$$

I tow at 55-60 max.

Whatever floats your boat.

Drive slowly. Stop often.

Ed
IMEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:51 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
if your tacoma is a TRD Off Road or similar, the suspension is softer, longer travel, and there's a bit of a tendancy to pitch on bumps. you can fix this either with a WDH or with airbags. if its a TRD Sport, they have stiffer shocks and will not be nearly as pitchy.

for me, airbags were perfect on my tacoma.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

West Virginia
Our truck is a SR base model and it did seem to have a bit stiffer suspension that the TRD. It also has the electronic sway control feature as part of the towing package. However, nowhere, that I can find, is that feature addressed in the owners manual. Anyone know what the deal is with that or how it works?
When it warms up a bit we are going to hitch up the Casita and go for a drive and just see how the rig feels. Within an hour or so of the house we can drive everything from mountain roads to interstate so a good shakedown should tell us a lot.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

Name: Alan
Trailer: In the market
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makwell View Post
The truck camper will stay on the 3/4 ton. It's been there for 12 years and I intend to use it for solo travel often. I don't want to dismount the camper.

The Casita, towed with the Toyota. will be for travelling with the wife for long excursions a couple of times a year.
I'd like to hear from those folks who are, or are not, using a WDH or sway bar with a Tacoma as a tow vehicle with a 17' Casita or similar outfit.

Thanks again.
I use the Anderson model 3350 on my 2018 Tacoma SR5 and I am pulling a 2019 Airstream Basecamp XL with a dry weight of just over 2600 lbs, maximum weight loaded at 3500 lbs and tongue weight of 410. I could pull it w/o but once you experience the difference it's an easy decision. The Model 3350 is $499 on Amazon and is very easy to install.
ADB59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #11

Name: Marge
Oregon
We tow a Casita 17' LD with a 2016 Tacoma and a WDH. It feels MUCH safer to have the WDH, especially in high winds or on 2 lane highways with semis passing from the other direction. But the WDH is a pain and we're considering switching to air bags and a sway bar. The sway bar is a lot lighter and easier to deal with. Because of a mod the prior owner did (position of the WDH brackets) we can't use an Anderson unless we do some serious mods to the frame ourselves. But personally I wouldn't just tow with nothing as the suspension of the Tacoma is a little soft and I don't like that bouncy feeling.
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
tow 17-ft TT

When I first started pulling my 16-ft SD/FB, I used a sway bar. after a few 1000 miles then a senior moment, I left it home. Have never looked back.

Have pulled the Scamp more than 60,000 miles with a Nissan Frontier V6 4.0L from Houston to Maine to West Canada, from West coast to East coast, up and down mountains as well as flat lands. I have not encounter a problem. I drive highway speeds 65-70 MPH. The one thing I do is have the tires balanced, make sure tires are aired up and in first class shape.

Don't forget to check tires at every stop.
Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I towed an Escape 17B (3010 lbs & 340 lbs tongue weight) with a 2016 Tacoma Off Road, both with & without a WDH. While it was a bit smoother using the WDH, I eventually added Sumo Springs, and dropped the WDH. You do have to get used to the high reving engine in the new Tacomas, but with the 17B, a good combination.

When I upsized to an Escape 21, I had to switch to a Ford F150 since the Tacoma was overloaded, and spent far too much time at 4000RPM...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #14

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
My personal feeling about the Tacoma is that it's too small a vehicle for riding comfort. It's not that the Tacoma won't do a good job towing the 17 Casita, it just lacks room in the cab for what I call road comfort. When you can buy a full size 1/2 ton pickup for very close in price with all the incentives that they put on them these days, why would you go smaller. If it's to save on fuel you might checkout some of the new 2019 fuel mileage averages. Buy a tow vehicle for comfort and towing needs, not for going to the local mall and being able to park at the front door as many do. I probably would not use a WDH with the Tacoma, but you surely wouldn't need one with a 1/2 ton pickup.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #15

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
My personal feeling about the Tacoma is that it's too small a vehicle for riding comfort. It's not that the Tacoma won't do a good job towing the 17 Casita, it just lacks room in the cab for what I call road comfort. When you can buy a full size 1/2 ton pickup for very close in price with all the incentives that they put on them these days, why would you go smaller. If it's to save on fuel you might checkout some of the new 2019 fuel mileage averages. Buy a tow vehicle for comfort and towing needs, not for going to the local mall and being able to park at the front door as many do. I probably would not use a WDH with the Tacoma, but you surely wouldn't need one with a 1/2 ton pickup.

trainman
My son has owned several Dodge Dakota and his hunting buddy owned a Nissan Frontier . When riding in either one of the above mentioned “ trucks” , the word comfort never came to my mind .
The boys were in their 20’s and weren’t into towing or work , they bought their trucks because they were cute and looked like a truck .
My 1/2 ton truck rides better than my wife’s car .

PS There was an article yesterday stating that in the Chevy 1500 Silverado the 5.3 liter V8 gets better mileage than the turbocharged V4 at highway speeds and when towing .
Old 01-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #16

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Comfort is a very personal thing. Personally I'm very comfortable in a Toyota smaller than the current Tacomas. I'm 5'10" and 150. Not a real big guy but I'm average height. A modern Tacoma is a bigger truck than I need or want, including when it comes to comfort.

But I've known plenty of 6'+ people who are not comfortable in a Tacoma. Anyway, to say a Tacoma won't work for comfort is a personal statement, not something that applies to everyone or even most people. Well...maybe most Americans these days...but not what used to be considered average.

I completely agree on the gas mileage. I've never been impressed with Toyota gas mileage for the size and power. A little V6 truck ought to be able to do better.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Comfort is a very personal thing. Personally I'm very comfortable in a Toyota smaller than the current Tacomas. I'm 5'10" and 150. Not a real big guy but I'm average height. A modern Tacoma is a bigger truck than I need or want, including when it comes to comfort.

But I've known plenty of 6'+ people who are not comfortable in a Tacoma. Anyway, to say a Tacoma won't work for comfort is a personal statement, not something that applies to everyone or even most people. Well...maybe most Americans these days...but not what used to be considered average.

I completely agree on the gas mileage. I've never been impressed with Toyota gas mileage for the size and power. A little V6 truck ought to be able to do better.
I am not that tall—- 6’ 2” and I don’t like riding / driving in a vehicle where the top of my head rubs on the headliner or my knees are shoved into the dash and my head is riding on my knees .
My SIL is 6’7” and he barely fits in my full size truck let alone in some sub compact pickup !
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #18

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I am not that tall—- 6’ 2” and I don’t like riding / driving in a vehicle where the top of my head rubs on the headliner or my knees are shoved into the dash and my head is riding on my knees .
My SIL is 6’7” and he barely fits in my full size truck let alone in some sub compact pickup !
We tried towing our Scamp 16 a couple of times with our son’s Dodge Dakota
It just felt unsafe and gave me an uneasy feeling so we abandoned the idea !!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #19

Name: Oliver
Trailer: 2014 Casita SD
Oregon
Have towed our 17' Casita SD with a 2013 Ford Escape, 2002 Dodge Ram Cummins, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI. Each had its good and bad points. We use an Anderson WDH, which hasn't been a big problem, and helps to keep the trailer level. The biggest thing we learned was that having a full 25 gallon fresh water tank in the rear definitely affects sway...at least for us. It is no fun to see your trailer swinging back and forth in your rear view mirror! With the anti-sway, things have been pretty rock solid. We now tow mostly with the Audi. Has plenty of power, 20mpg, and comfort. Plus it is easier driving to places once we get to the campsite. Your Tacoma should have no problems, but that is the opinion of a not so hardened traveler. I'm sure there are many more expert recommendations here for you. Happy traveling!
oabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:43 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
I have been towing a 17 ft SD Casita with a 2006 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4 for 8 yrs, with just a sway bar. Works great even in winds to 40-50 mph in storms. I do have much upgraded shocks, rancho 9 position adj 2" pistons. Much larger shocks than oe or upgrade oe. I have heard of trailer frame cracks developing when using WDH, not sure if true but something to check into.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita