Towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Send a message via AIM to rporter Send a message via MSN to rporter Send a message via Yahoo to rporter
Thumbs up

I've developed an interest in FG goosenecks. Does anyone have knowledge of towing with a Ford Sportrac? :Thanks, Rport
rporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Now that's an interesting combo. I don't know of anyone on the forums who is currently towing a fiver with a Sporttrac. You might consider giving Scamp a call and seeing if they've ever outfitted one. Ford would probably be a good resource for the structural integrity of the box and how it's attached.

I'd also refer you to Reace at Escape, but AFAIK, he's only put one fifth wheel out the door so far, and it was attached to a Tundra. He may have some insight as well though.
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I think the Sport Trac has great potential, with a long wheelbase, large engines available (including a 4.6L V8), and an independent rear suspension. The problem will be cab-to-trailer clearance, with the exceptionally short box, but if it can work for the crew cab S-10 which Roger used to pull his Scamp, it should be workable for the Sport Trac. I suspect it will all boil down to rear axle capacity... which of course is not shown in the online specs, so a dealer visit will be required.

The Sport Trac towing guide doesn't mention any possibility of a bed-mounted hitch, but that is not surprising... I doubt any of the compact trucks for which the Scamp and Escape trailers are designed are rated by their makers for this service.

Reace supplied some information about the intended tow vehicles for his Escape 5.0 in a post in the Escape 5.0 has hatched! topic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Does the Escape 5.0 have a conventional fifth-wheel hitch or does it have gooseneck hitch like the Scamp 5W?
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The Escape has a conventional plate & pin, Pete.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #6

Neil's photos of the setup of Ian and Paddy's "Rubea II" is shown in Post #56 of Escape 5.0 has hatched!. Yes, that's a fifth-wheel hitch... which could probably handle three or four Escapes! The hitch appears to be somewhat behind the axle line, presumably for cab clearance.

In post #9 of Scamp 5th Whl + F350 4X4 P/U?, Roger said that he mounted his Scamp hitch right over the axle in his S-10 (crew cab with very short cab-to-axle), but aft of the axle in the next owner's T100 (longbox standard cab).
(Photos of both are in Scamp 19' fifth wheel hitch modification, but both look like they're right over the axle to me...)
Apparently with the Scamp, horizontal clearance between the lower trailer body and the back corner of the box was the critical factor; the Sport Trac should be no problem there.

I don't think ball-and-socket versus pin-and-plate matter to fore-and-aft positioning, but I suppose it could be a consideration in box side clearance, since the ball of the Scamp hitch would allow roll of the trailer relative to the truck... although fifth-wheel hitches often have pivots in this direction now, too.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
According to my book, Ball height-40" to top of ball. If sides of the truck are higher than 48" a raised axle (on trailer) may be needed. The most critical measurement is no more than 60" from center of hitch ball to corner of bumper, or bumper will hit corner of trailer when turning. My setup is 40" ball height, 47" high bed rails, 52" from center of ball to corner of bumper. Hope these numbers help. Mike B
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #8

Quote:
...Hope these numbers help. Mike B
Excellent info, Mike!
Old 02-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Send a message via AIM to rporter Send a message via MSN to rporter Send a message via Yahoo to rporter
[According to FOMOCO the Sportrac bed length and construction of plastic precludes ANY attempts to install gooseneck hitch. Thanks for input though. Rport.
rporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
According to FOMOCO the Sportrac bed length and construction of plastic precludes ANY attempts to install gooseneck hitch...
It seems fundamentally irrational that the bed length would be a problem. If the assumption is that the hitch must be located over the axle, and that hitch-to-cab clearance must be at least four feet (for a typical fifth-wheel RV trailer), then of course the Sport Trac would not work. In the real world of moulded fiberglass trailers with in-bed hitches (in current production, Scamp 19' and Escape) several members of this forum have proven that a sound combination is possible.

The bed construction is also a manageable issue, as it is with other companies' products.

While a detailed examination might find that the combination would not work (for reasons such as rear axle load limits or box side height), I find it disappointing that someone at Ford has supplied this knee-jerk reaction. I guess they don't want our business, and I wonder is the other makers of very-short-box pickups would have the same reaction.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Anyone out there towing a fifth of fiberglass with a Honda Ridgeline???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #12

The Ridgeline's a tough one because the box sides are so high. Good comparison though... the issues and solutions are similar.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
The Ridgeline's a tough one because the box sides are so high. Good comparison though... the issues and solutions are similar.
Any thing is possible. The first time I saw a Scamp 5thwheel, I thought I was halucinating.... Running I-90 in Eastern WA, I saw a strange thing coming--(didn't know they made Scamp 5th -- was about 7 years ago) A full sized Ford PU 4X4 with this bulbous thing like a whale hanging on the bumper. Now, that I have learned more, I guess since his box was too high, he just built a slightly extended receiver hitch and went for the gusto. So, anything is possible. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Unhappy

Quote:
According to my book, Ball height-40" to top of ball. If sides of the truck are higher than 48" a raised axle (on trailer) may be needed. The most critical measurement is no more than 60" from center of hitch ball to corner of bumper, or bumper will hit corner of trailer when turning. My setup is 40" ball height, 47" high bed rails, 52" from center of ball to corner of bumper. Hope these numbers help. Mike B
I know this horse has been beat enough, but I am trying to overcome some hurdles so I may be able to pick up my families "new to us" 5er ('89 Scamp Deluxe).

I also have an F350 but with far less aggressive measurments than mentioned in the originating post. I have an '04 2WD version with a tailgate/bed floor height from the ground @ 34.5" and the top of the bedrails are at 53.5". Having the ball center 60" from either corner bumper puts it slightly behind the differential (approx 5") but I do not think this will affect the towability or overall handeling.

Finally the question....

What modifications are necessary (if any) are required so I may safely/comfortably tow the Scamp 5er with this truck? No mods would be the best case scenario, larger 5er tires would be next, etc. This question applies to mods on either trailer, truck or both....

TIA

MSter
martin sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:

I also have an F350 ... and the top of the bedrails are at [b]53.5".

What modifications are necessary (if any) are required so I may safely/comfortably tow the Scamp 5er with this truck?
Quote:
If sides of the truck are higher than [b]48" a raised axle (on trailer) may be needed.
Sounds to me like you need to raise the body of the Scamp about 6".