towing ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: ford van
Kansas
Smile towing ?

Hi my name is Jane Tea, my reason for registering is: my neighbor has a Scamp just moved into his alley. I know he is not planning on taking off or sure hope not. But I am interested in knowing more before I go over and ask if he has plans to sell it. It is a fifth wheel tow and my son needs to have a small camper trailer that he can pull behind. my son works for a contractor all over the south US right now and it is awful. Bad accomodations and roommates. enough said.
My question is : how expensive is it to change this to a pull behine. I found one picture on this site but no real answers to how and how much does this adaptation cost?
Jane Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Tea View Post
...My question is : how expensive is it to change this [Scamp 19] to a pull behine. I found one picture on this site but no real answers to how and how much does this adaptation cost?
Don't do it!

A fifth wheel is designed to be pulled with the hitch weight centered over the rear axle. It typically carries 15-20% of its weight on the hitch. That can be many hundreds of pounds. The metalwork to turn it into a bumper pull adds even more weight and has not undergone any kind of engineering analysis to ensure safety. To top it off, that kind of hitch weight usually requires a weight distributing hitch set-up, something the Scamp 19 frame and macgyvered add-ons were not designed for.

I'm afraid this is a bad idea on many levels. Instead look for a used travel trailer, molded fiberglass or otherwise, within the tow rating of the vehicle he will be using. Or get a truck to pull the Scamp.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Could your son trade in whatever he has for a small/medium size pickup? I agree, converting to a bumper pull is a big deal, as Jon said.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #4

Name: Jane
Trailer: ford van
Kansas
Thank you both, I would guess that the comment from Mike, 2006, is still the answer to a stupid question. NO!
But I did see a couple of pictures. I guess you classify those with pics of BIG FOOT. Does not really exist.

Jane Tea
Jane Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Actually they do exist. It can be done. It has been done. But that doesn't mean it should be done.

I appreciate your concern for your son. I lived in travel trailers for the first 4 years of my teaching career. A small RV is a great idea. Just not a fifth wheel converted to a bumper pull.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Jane. You're hearing a resounding "No" because it's really not a good idea. The old adage, Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should certainly applies to this idea.

Think of it this way... IF Eveland's (Scamp Manufacturing) thought it was a good idea, they'd offer it as an option. Just think of the pool of prospective owners it would open up. Lots of SUV owners, etc. would love the layout and size. BUT Eveland's doesn't offer it... with reason. We're trying to keep you and your son safe.

Yes, we've seen a few pictures. Seems like they're in the "Referral For Sale" forum. And I can honestly say I don't know of a FiberglassRV member that owns one.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote