towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Name: Rose
Trailer: Dutchman Lit
Iowa
towing

I have a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr that I am towing with my 2002 Lincoln Towncar but I can only go 50 or 55 or the camper starts to sway. Can anyone help me with what I might need. Thank you.
Rose Magner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Magner View Post
I have a 1972 Hunter Compact Jr that I am towing with my 2002 Lincoln Towncar but I can only go 50 or 55 or the camper starts to sway. Can anyone help me with what I might need. Thank you.
I had one of those and it was so light in the tongue that It swayed terribly. After purchase I stopped at a big box store on the way home and bought 4 concrete blocks, placed two inside and two on the tongue. The trailer behaved well the rest of the way home.
All the weight is in the back on these trailers.
When I finished the trailer with more weight shifted forward It did just fine without the blocks.
I once forgot to put the rear stabilizers down with the trailer empty during rehab. When I stepped on the rear step the thing skidded out from under me like I had stepped on a skate board!
At any rate, I am sure that your problem is that the tongue is too light and/or too high (it should be level or slightly lower).
With your propane and battery and spare on the tongue, plus maybe a bit more stuff stored under the bed up front, you will discover a trailer which is pleasant to tow.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

Iowa
Thank you Sir. I am going to try that. It sure would be an easy fix...ROSE
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I recall another person bought several cases of water. I suppose it would depend on what kind of ballast might be most useful when no longer needed to hold down the front of the trailer!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I just carried some heavier things in front, under the bed, to prevent that in my Campster. You need about 10% of the weight on the tongue.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I just carried some heavier things in front, under the bed, to prevent that in my Campster. You need about 10% of the weight on the tongue.
Maybe a bit more in this case.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yep, try to get your tongue weight up to about 130-180 lbs and it should tow straight. You can use a bathroom scale (and a vertical 2x4) under the ball socket to weigh it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #8

Iowa
Hunter Compact Jr.

Weighed by camper today and it was 1780 pounds. I also weighed the tongue weight and it was 95 pounds. So do I need about 100 more pounds on the tongue
Old 09-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yes.

The light tongue doesn't surprise me at all, but I'm really shocked by the total weight. Was it packed for a trip? Has it been modified from stock? An unloaded, stock Hunter Compact Jr. should be well under 1500 pounds.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #10

Oklahoma
I take back what I said, because you want at least 180 lbs of hitch weight. Adding a battery and/or propane tank to the tongue might be a way to get some of that extra weight.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Rose, Floyd mentioned in post #2 about the tongue level. You haven't said anything about your setup. The tongue should be level or a bit low at the ball. Being to high will cause sway. How about a pic of your rig hitched up and how you're towing it now?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Rose, Floyd mentioned in post #2 about the tongue level. You haven't said anything about your setup. The tongue should be level or a bit low at the ball. Being to high will cause sway. How about a pic of your rig hitched up and how you're towing it now?
Well, if Rose adds 100 lbs to the hitch, it will change that angle because the tug will squat more. Might be better to have a pic after the weight is redistributed.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Well, if Rose adds 100 lbs to the hitch, it will change that angle because the tug will squat more. Might be better to have a pic after the weight is redistributed.
That's true but I kind of wondered if her tow angle was way up like you see once in a while.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote