Towing a Bigfoot?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Hi I just sold my beautiful 13 ft THE BC Boler and have purchased a 1987 17 ft Bigfoot I towed the Boler with a 1999 Ford Windstar we pulled from BC Canada to southern California and back through the Grand Canyon I need to know if I was pulling THE BC BIGFOOT, would it work do you think the Windstar can handle the trips as for now we are going on small local trips any info would be great.
THE BC BIGFOOT....
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Rick, the first thing that comes to my mind as a concern is that you're pulling with a front wheel drive vehicle. Overweight in the Windstar tail could result in loss of braking and steering control on that van, especially in adverse conditions like ice or rain.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2003 Honda Odyssey
Quote:
Rick, the first thing that comes to my mind as a concern is that you're pulling with a front wheel drive vehicle. Overweight in the Windstar tail could result in loss of braking and steering control on that van, especially in adverse conditions like ice or rain.
I tow my Bigfoot 17CB with a 2003 Honda Odyssey with no problems! BUT, I use a Weight Distributing Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, added Transmission Cooler, Airlift 1000 airbags in the rear springs, AND an added Power Steering Cooler.
Honda manual states that the WDH, PS cooler and Tranny cooler are MANDATORY!
I weighed it out to just under the Max Gross weight for the Honda and the Bigfoot as in the Honda Manual.
I've put about 8000 miles since I got it!
I make sure the WDH throws enough weight forward to run level.
No problems yet, knock on wood!
First 2009 trip to Dayton Ham Radio Convention/fleamarket will be on May 17th long weekend (CDN!).
Mike
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
I tow my Bigfoot 17CB with a 2003 Honda Odyssey with no problems! BUT, I use a Weight Distributing Hitch, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, added Transmission Cooler, Airlift 1000 airbags in the rear springs, AND an added Power Steering Cooler.
Honda manual states that the WDH, PS cooler and Tranny cooler are MANDATORY!
I weighed it out to just under the Max Gross weight for the Honda and the Bigfoot as in the Honda Manual.
I've put about 8000 miles since I got it!
I make sure the WDH throws enough weight forward to run level.
No problems yet, knock on wood!
First 2009 trip to Dayton Ham Radio Convention/fleamarket will be on May 17th long weekend (CDN!).
Mike
Yeh I have a we call them equalizer hitches and all that stuff I also own 1997 Montana van which I just bought,it has only 18000 miles on it but I do think it is a little small to pull a 17 ft Bigfoot and all the wiring and hitch is on my Windstar ,we will only be usung the windstar for local trips as we have lots of camping spots in lower British ColumbiaWhen we go for our treck across the USA there will be truck in front of THE BC BIGFOOT. Rick
Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
For the record, equalizer is a brand name for one kind of WDH, but has come into common use like Fridge and Thermos.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 AM   #6

Quote:
For the record, equalizer is a brand name for one kind of WDH, but has come into common use like Fridge and Thermos.

Not in CANADA FOR THE RECORD thanks
Old 04-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
So Rick, you were asking for some input on your towing combination and it sounds like you have everything covered off. Happy and safe travels with your Big Foot.
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Not in CANADA FOR THE RECORD thanks
The fact that it's in very common use in Canada just proves my point -- Equal-i-zer in Canada<grinz>.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
The fact that it's in very common use in Canada just proves my point -- Equal-i-zer in Canada<grinz>.
Ok you got me ,did not know Equlizer was a company name I guess it is kinda like everybody goes Skidooing ,but they are riding other machines,anyway thanks, I know towing my Bigfoot will be much different than towing my Boler ,Thanks for input. Rick...

Tags
bigfoot