Towing a Boler with a Rav4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Hi, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has towed a Boler with a Toyota Rav4.
How does it handle ? and how was the gas mileage ? Do you think I should buy the transmission cooler unit ? or is it not needed ?

Paula
Paula D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What size Boler do you have and what is Vehicale tow capacity?
Old 08-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Quote:
What size Boler do you have and what is Vehicale tow capacity?
Hi, I have a 13ft Boler ('Bubba') that I'm currently towing with a Sebring. But we are looking at buying another vehicle soon. I like the look of the RAV4, and wondered about its towing capacity.
Brian B-P directed me to using the Search feature on this site, and (Oops) I discovered that this topic has been well covered previously. The verdict appears to be that a RAV4 would be at the top of its range. So now I'm back at square one.

I was thinking about a'crossover', not a full SUV because of the gas, but I'd like a vehicle that could tow Bubba wherever we want to go -mountains?, deserts ? who knows ? I'd like to do some long trips in the next few years, so something that could carry all our stuff (bikes and kayaks etc) plus tow Bubba, but still get good gas mileage would be ideal.
Maybe that's an impossible dream ?

Paula
Paula D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #4

Buying a Tow vehicle for multiple uses is hard.I like the idea of a 4 door truck,like this.
http://www.gmc.com/canyon/index.jsp
With a vehicle like this you can at least upgrade to a bigger unit (RV)if you want too.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
That GMC thig is overkill-4000 lb. tow capacity for a 1000lb. trailer? What a waste of gas.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Paula,
It also depends on which RAV4 you're thinking about. The current model with V-6 has a towing capicity of 3000 lbs. and will work. The former model, or the current model with a 4, will not be as good. Tom
Old 08-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
That GMC thig is overkill-4000 lb. tow capacity for a 1000lb. trailer? What a waste of gas.
I agree its overkill for a 13 ft trailer,But at least a person could upgrade their unit down the road.It also can be used if a family is more than 2 people.To carry bikes and other things , this could be the way to go.Just my thoughts.Each to their own.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Add the fact that darn few of these trailers, loaded for the road, plus the gear in and on the tow vehicle, plus the human riders, weigh in at only 1,000 lbs...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:06 AM   #9

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
My dad towed a Scamp 13 with a Renault 10, converted to run on propane, back in the late '70s early 80's, when fuel costs were high.

I guess it worked OK. He lived through that experience.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:31 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
A possibility to consider for trailers in the weight range of most of our eggs is a van (a.k.a. minivan) - in the case of Toyota, that's a Sienna. Just about anything labeled as a van has at least 2000 lb towing capacity, and properly equipped that typically goes up to 3500 lb.

Although they look large compared to the models labeled as "SUV" or "crossover vehicle", the fuel economy is similar. We looked at a Honda Element, and concluded that for not much more purchase cost or fuel consumption we could have a much more capable Odyssey. In the Toyota range, the Highlander ("SUV"), Lexus RX330 ("SUV" or "crossover") and Sienna ("minivan") all use many of the same mechanical parts, and the current RAV4 is not much different from a Highlander. We ended up with the Sienna, with no plans to ever use all those seats.

One advantage of the vans is that they typically have a longer wheelbase than the SUV variations, and longer than anything else other than a pickup truck. Long wheelbase is good for towing stability, and good to minimize load transfer from the front axle to the rear (especially nice for a front-wheel-drive tug).

I know most people don't want to be labeled as "minivan drivers": if it makes you feel better, call it a "crossover vehicle with sliding doors" - the terms are all marketing gimmicks anyway.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Paula:

In my opinion Brian has it spot on. I bought our Odyssey for business reasons (hauling large items) but have found that the advantages Brian has pointed out are correct: lots of room to haul stuff without cluttering up your trailer, long wheelbase for stability, superior comfort on road trips, strong engine, excellent handling, good gas mileage when not towing, etc. etc.

My last trip without the trailer Portland, Seattle, and return netted me 29.7 carefully measured mpg. Hard to match for a large vehicle. 15.7 mpg hauling our humongous Burro back and forth across the country.

As for labels such as "loser cruiser" etc., those are not automotive terms but attitudinal problems. The loser would be the one who chooses a vehicle based on image and not on hard facts and competence.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 05:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 1986 Cadet
Hi,I used a 2002 Rav 4 , 4 cylinder,manual 5 speed transmission to pull our fiberglass 1986 Cadet trailer to Newfoundland in August for 7000 km .The Cadet trailer is 13 feet long and weights about 925 empty.I figure that it weighted about 1500 lbs with all our gear loaded.We had no problem towing the trailer along at 60-65 mph on the level highway.We did have trouble on the larger hills and I would lose speed and have to gear down.I think that if we would have had a Rav 4 with the V6 engine it would have worked a lot better.
Lonnie W
Lonnie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #13

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
I used to tow a 1300 Trillium with a 2001 Rav 4 with a 5 speed manual transmission. LillTrill had electric brakes. long grades or steep hills really slowed me down. I was in 2nd gear and 30 mph on a few roads in vermont and northern ny. New Rav 4 have more HP then mine so it might be a little better. The short wheel base tended to give me a little more bounce in ride with lill- trill in tow. I ended up getting a Silverado for better towing and carry more camping stuff.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I just picked up a v6 Jeep Liberty yesterday. I haven't decided if I am going to tow with it yet, tho by all looks, it seems a much better choice than my Element. The Element is now dedicated to towing, dog carrying and other working type activities. I love it too much to have traded it in.

I did make my new car choice based on the same things I got the Element for tho. I am positive the Jeep would do well towing, it is reasonably economical as a daily driver (Which is what my intent for it is, thus the towing dilema) more powerful and has a larger tow rating etc.. but..

I have to wait for new car smell to go away before I start modifying and putting it in danger..

I am so wishy washy..

Anyway, the price was in the same range as a similarly equipped Rav4
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats Gina!

A friend of mine here recently bought a Liberty, and then jumped on the 19' Bigfoot that was listed here in Seattle. They drove out, picked it up, and towed the Bigfoot all the way home, with a Prodigy and E-qual-izer brand WDH. He said they didn't have any major issues at all and was pleasantly surprised by how well the combo did; although the gas mileage was less than spectacular.

I suspect that the Liberty might be a SIGNIFICANTLY better tow vehicle for the Burro than the Element.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #16

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
19 foot Bigfoot and a Liberty? not for me tyvm. Yes, I know the manufacturer says 5000 pounds....on a 104 inch wheelbase.

I would tow a 13 though. Nice suv Gina.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #17

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
I'd like to do some long trips in the next few years, so something that could carry all our stuff (bikes and kayaks etc) plus tow Bubba, but still get good gas mileage would be ideal.
Maybe that's an impossible dream ?
Paula, you might just want to look at an Element. Keep the trailer weight down, and be careful about the gear you load into the car, the E meets all these needs.

I didn't buy the Jeep to replace the Element, I kept it, and I am using the Jeep mostly as my daily driver.

The Element was getting too high up in milage for me to rely on it as an all purpose vehicle with my long and hard commute. Thats the only reason for a new car.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler