Towing a Boler with a SUbaru - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: Boler
Arizona
Towing a Boler with a SUbaru

Does anyone know the actual towing capacity of a 2009 Subaru Outback Wagon? The specs says 2700lb with trailer brakes, 1000 w/o. I own a 13' Boler, and would like to know if I need to ( and if it is possible ) install trailer brakes?

Much obliged.
screaminbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
HI John-
I have a 2007 Outback and pull my 13' Uhaul CT without any problems- I've had it weighed in at 1500 lbs and it doesn't have trailer brakes- pulls and handles just great-

Lynne
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our son tows a 13 with an Accord with out issue. The primary concern is additional brake wear.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
If I had a 13' Boler, I'd probably tow it with our 2005 Outback (rated for 2700# with 200# max on the tongue).
Just measure your tongue weight and obey the 200# maximum - I have a feeling it has more to do with the rear drivetrain components than the suspension.
Brakes are always a good idea. You probably won't notice the Boler back there til you go into a downhill corner a little hot. Trailer brakes help keep things where they belong & help you enjoy the drive a little more.
They can be added if your axle has the mounting plates or when you replace the axle just order them with it.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I tow a 13' Burro with a Forester. I added brakes to the trailer. I'm sure it would have worked adequately without, but brakes never hurt and might be the thing that saves my butt some time in the future when a couple of inches in braking distance might matter a lot.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #6

Name: Russ
Trailer: 1972 & 1978 Bolers 13ft
Alberta
Without trailer brakes on my 13 foot Boler, I still find that on a trip in the rockies with my Ford Explorer that I wish I had trailer brakes. I know that even driving cautiously there have been a few moment on a steep grade that I've overheated my brakes.

I looked into having them added to the existing axle and it was going to be simplier thus cheaper to have a whole new axle with brakes added at McCoy Bros here in Edmonton.

cheers
Rusty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminbuddha View Post
I own a 13' Boler, and would like to know if I need to ( and if it is possible ) install trailer brakes?
If there is a square plate behind the spindle then adding brakes is easy. If not it may require an axle swap.

FWIW, my Ranger stops better while towing a trailer with electric brakes than it does on it's own. The brakes not only help you stop better but can be used to reduce trailer sway. There have been a few times that I've been glad to have installed the brakes. I know I feel better towing with them.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #8

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Hello All,
I've only had my Uhaul CT13 out once on a curvy road, on a very windy day. Towed like it wasn't even there, but have not been in the mountains yet. My tug is an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Do I need trailer brakes??
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #9

Name: Russ
Trailer: 1972 & 1978 Bolers 13ft
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Hello All,
I've only had my Uhaul CT13 out once on a curvy road, on a very windy day. Towed like it wasn't even there, but have not been in the mountains yet. My tug is an 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Do I need trailer brakes??
I wouldn't say that trailer brakes would be required as you have a fair sized SUV as a tow rig. My Ford Explorer does fine without trailer brakes on the flat as long as I'm not tail gating someone etc.. but in the mountains I wished I had trailer brakes, although I've been ok on mountain trips.

I'm currently looking into swapping to a new axle that has brakes already, as mine has no place to add them. I've been towing for 5yrs on relatively small 4hrs hauls without brakes.

If its in your budget, I would recommend them
Cheers
Rusty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #10

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty99 View Post
I wouldn't say that trailer brakes would be required as you have a fair sized SUV as a tow rig. My Ford Explorer does fine without trailer brakes on the flat as long as I'm not tail gating someone etc.. but in the mountains I wished I had trailer brakes, although I've been ok on mountain trips.

I'm currently looking into swapping to a new axle that has brakes already, as mine has no place to add them. I've been towing for 5yrs on relatively small 4hrs hauls without brakes.

If its in your budget, I would recommend them
Cheers
Thanks Rusty,
I will start looking into the costs of brakes plus install.
Patti
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John I have been towing a 16' for 4 years with an 07 Outback. I have no doubt that the car will pull your 13' very nicely. You need to watch how you stow it though to keep your tongue weight within Subarus specs. Although I have no doubt the Subaru can stop the 13' without any brakes on the trailer, it really is in your best intreast to put brakes on the 13' for the added safety and less wear on your Outbacks brakes. Without brakes on the trailer you would also go through brake pads pretty fast on the car.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #12

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
John I have been towing a 16' for 4 years with an 07 Outback. I have no doubt that the car will pull your 13' very nicely. You need to watch how you stow it though to keep your tongue weight within Subarus specs. Although I have no doubt the Subaru can stop the 13' without any brakes on the trailer, it really is in your best intreast to put brakes on the 13' for the added safety and less wear on your Outbacks brakes. Without brakes on the trailer you would also go through brake pads pretty fast on the car.
I agree with Carol, anything over 1,000 lbs should have brakes per Subaru. Having brakes on the trailer takes quite a load off the Subaru brakes and can help stop the combination in much less distance than not having brakes.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #13

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
of course

I'm looking for an Egg camper. One of the first things I would do is add a brake control to my wagon, and trailer brakes to the trailer.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #14

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1973 Bugeyed Boler
British Columbia
Registry
I changed my axle and had brakes included for $610 in Canada. In the US you should be able to get it cheaper. Most old Bolers need an axle anyway. A friend had backing plates installed and then brakes. I tow with a Honda CRV. 1500 pound towing capacity 1000 if no brakes. I would not tow without brakes. OK in town, but in the mountains the trailer pushes you down hills. In an emergency the trailer brakes hold you from fishtailing. The CRV pulls it like it is not there, but stopping on a long steep hill is a real problem. Get brakes.

PS weighed the Boler 1325 pounds lightly loaded for a weekend

Rick
rhkirkham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler