Towing a17' casitas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
The tongue weight of my 2013, 17ft Casita Spirit deluxe when loaded for travel varies between 420 to 440 lbs. The factory lusted tongue weight of 365 lbs for a 17 ft Casita is not based in reality IMHO. I believe the 325
lb tongue weight quoted by the previous owner was a made up number to help sell the trailer. I would load your trailer for travel and have it weighed .
You maybe surprised how heavy the tongue weight really is !!

Old 11-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #16

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Casita
South Carolina
No problems with Tacoma and 17 Casita

2015 was our first year with the set up above. I was curious if my truck would be up to the task. We covered roughly 20,000 miles, 6 weeks in spring to break it in and 3 months in Mt for the summer. I never had any trouble except what has been mentioned above, you will bog down on long inclines, but I'm retired, so who cares. And bogged means I am no longer going 70.

I would say that this trailer is probably about the max for the Tacoma. I make sure that I have good tires, and that trailer brakes are functional. I do have a sway bar, but am not sure I need it. It is added insurance on high speed interstates that you find west of Mississippi. I also balance my load in trailer and in bed of truck to keep appropriate weight on front tires. On longer halls I minimize volume of fresh and gray/black water. I make sure all tires, trailer and vehicle are properly inflated.

Best of luck! If you have specific questions PM me (I think you can do that here).

Old 11-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #17

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The tongue weight of my 2013, 17ft Casita Spirit deluxe when loaded for travel varies between 420 to 440 lbs. The factory lusted tongue weight of 365 lbs for a 17 ft Casita is not based in reality IMHO. I believe the 325
lb tongue weight quoted by the previous owner was a made up number to help sell the trailer. I would load your trailer for travel and have it weighed .
You maybe surprised how heavy the tongue weight really is !!
I did NOT say the tongue weight of my trailer was less than the average. I did say that my experience with the 'wimpy' payload of MY particular Tacoma leads me to observe that the trailer appears to put less weight on the hitch ball than others have observed. I don't know that this is true, only that I have not weighed it for tongue weight. I do understand that the Spirit Deluxe has a heavier tongue weight than the 'standard' models because of the front bathroom, I just don't know how much. I'll get around to weighing it whenever I get a chance, meanwhile it doesn't bother me & the trailer tows as smooth & solid as one could ask for at the speeds I drive, normally 50-60mph.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
2013 Taco v6 double cab long bed rated at 6300 lbs tows a 4200 lb (wet) 21 ft Escape just fine. Has an Andersen WDH.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Sway bars and weight distributing hitch

One of the advantages of fiberglass trailers is their streamlined shape. Unlike stickies which not only are higher but have square corners.

Sway often is induced by side winds catching on the square corners combined with the higher weight of stickies.

We have thousands of miles on Homelet and never once had any indication of sway or fish tailing.

YMMV

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For Jerrymcs

Just keep in mind that the speed rating for ST trailer tires is 65 MPH and that the towing speed on those "High Speed Interstates" in California is 55 MPH.

We are also retired and drive 55 everywhere to enjoy the scenery as well as the 25% difference in MPG's if we drove 70 where it might be legal.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #21

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I did NOT say the tongue weight of my trailer was less than the average. I did say that my experience with the 'wimpy' payload of MY particular Tacoma leads me to observe that the trailer appears to put less weight on the hitch ball than others have observed. I don't know that this is true, only that I have not weighed it for tongue weight. I do understand that the Spirit Deluxe has a heavier tongue weight than the 'standard' models because of the front bathroom, I just don't know how much. I'll get around to weighing it whenever I get a chance, meanwhile it doesn't bother me & the trailer tows as smooth & solid as one could ask for at the speeds I drive, normally 50-60mph.
I was not making reference to nor did I read your post . I was replying to the OP who stated the owner told him that the tongue weight was 325 lbs.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #22

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
We have a 1999 17' SD and tow with a 07 Silverado Z-71 4x4 with HD suspension. Previously we towed with a 06 Jeep Liberty with 2.8L 4 cylinder diesel. The Liberty required a WDH at 300# tongue weight. The Silverado recommends a WDH at 600#.
I have weighted my trailer using my Sherline scale, and the tongue weight is just over 400#
I weighted trailers at a recent fall rally and all 17' Casita's I weighted the tongues of were over 400#'s. (they were all Deluxe models with front bath)

I used and became accustomed to the WDH with the Liberty and so I use it on our Silverado. It makes a lot of difference in the ride of the truck and trailer.

I weighted our trailer before our yearly trip and each wheel was between 1400 and 1500 pounds. (1400+1500+400=3300#s total)

There have been many converts to WHDs over the years that have found and extolled the benefits of a WDH. Including one with a 3/4 ton van.
And using an anti sway bars is a no brain er.

Statements about one's tongue weights without having measured them should be ignored.

Joe
Old 11-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #23

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
I want to thank everyone that responded to my thread
Based on the input i recvd it looks like
My tacoma v6 2wd and snug cap
With 4L engine and auto trans should be able to handle a 17' casitas freedom.... After looking at thre spreadsheet that Fredrick has put together ( and averaging similar trailers)...... I guess the sway bar is a definite and Dist hitch is to be determined down the road
If anyone else has some more info to add or experiences to share please don't hesitate to respond
Thanks
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was not making reference to nor did I read your post . I was replying to the OP who stated the owner told him that the tongue weight was 325 lbs.
Sorry Steve! Your post directly followed mine and I jumped to a conclusion (Never a good idea) & assumed wrongly (even worse idea) that you were replying to my post.

Alan, I expect you'll have good experience with the Tacoma, towing your 17' Freedom. PO included an EazLift sway control device with our 17SD but I haven't used it since I don't have the little 'ball' connector on my hitch ball mount, & up to now have had absolutely no sway problems while towing...
Old 11-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Harvey
Can i ask what your trailer tongue weight is along with total trailer weight
And what exactly your tow vehicle
is

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
swaybar

Harvey, This will solve your Little ball problem.
Attached Thumbnails
swaybar.gif  
Old 11-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #27

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
Harvey, This will solve your Little ball problem.
Thanks, Ive seen those at our local WalMart, they fasten to the 'stub' directly under the ball.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #28

Name: LKG907
Trailer: Casita 17'SD
Washington
Under, maybe over. Depends on whether you need a lefty or a righty. Look close at the brochure picture.

Tags
casita