Towing a17' casitas - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I did NOT say the tongue weight of my trailer was less than the average. I did say that my experience with the 'wimpy' payload of MY particular Tacoma leads me to observe that the trailer appears to put less weight on the hitch ball than others have observed. I don't know that this is true, only that I have not weighed it for tongue weight. I do understand that the Spirit Deluxe has a heavier tongue weight than the 'standard' models because of the front bathroom, I just don't know how much. I'll get around to weighing it whenever I get a chance, meanwhile it doesn't bother me & the trailer tows as smooth & solid as one could ask for at the speeds I drive, normally 50-60mph.
I was not making reference to nor did I read your post . I was replying to the OP who stated the owner told him that the tongue weight was 325 lbs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a 1999 17' SD and tow with a 07 Silverado Z-71 4x4 with HD suspension. Previously we towed with a 06 Jeep Liberty with 2.8L 4 cylinder diesel. The Liberty required a WDH at 300# tongue weight. The Silverado recommends a WDH at 600#.
I have weighted my trailer using my Sherline scale, and the tongue weight is just over 400#
I weighted trailers at a recent fall rally and all 17' Casita's I weighted the tongues of were over 400#'s. (they were all Deluxe models with front bath)

I used and became accustomed to the WDH with the Liberty and so I use it on our Silverado. It makes a lot of difference in the ride of the truck and trailer.

I weighted our trailer before our yearly trip and each wheel was between 1400 and 1500 pounds. (1400+1500+400=3300#s total)

There have been many converts to WHDs over the years that have found and extolled the benefits of a WDH. Including one with a 3/4 ton van.
And using an anti sway bars is a no brain er.

Statements about one's tongue weights without having measured them should be ignored.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I want to thank everyone that responded to my thread
Based on the input i recvd it looks like
My tacoma v6 2wd and snug cap
With 4L engine and auto trans should be able to handle a 17' casitas freedom.... After looking at thre spreadsheet that Fredrick has put together ( and averaging similar trailers)...... I guess the sway bar is a definite and Dist hitch is to be determined down the road
If anyone else has some more info to add or experiences to share please don't hesitate to respond
Thanks
Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was not making reference to nor did I read your post . I was replying to the OP who stated the owner told him that the tongue weight was 325 lbs.
Sorry Steve! Your post directly followed mine and I jumped to a conclusion (Never a good idea) & assumed wrongly (even worse idea) that you were replying to my post.

Alan, I expect you'll have good experience with the Tacoma, towing your 17' Freedom. PO included an EazLift sway control device with our 17SD but I haven't used it since I don't have the little 'ball' connector on my hitch ball mount, & up to now have had absolutely no sway problems while towing...
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #25

Harvey
Can i ask what your trailer tongue weight is along with total trailer weight
And what exactly your tow vehicle
is

Old 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita
swaybar

Harvey, This will solve your Little ball problem.
Attached Thumbnails
swaybar.gif  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #27

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK Gray View Post
Harvey, This will solve your Little ball problem.
Thanks, Ive seen those at our local WalMart, they fasten to the 'stub' directly under the ball.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #28

Trailer: Casita
Under, maybe over. Depends on whether you need a lefty or a righty. Look close at the brochure picture.
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 PM   #29

Arkansas
Thanks again. Pretty sure I'll need the 'righty' & it'll go under the hitch ball, on top of the ball mount (I have a 3" drop). My existing sway control fastener ball is on the right hand side of the trailer 'A' frame...
Old 11-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #30

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Harvey
Can i ask what your trailer tongue weight is along with total trailer weight
And what exactly your tow vehicle
is

In post #17 he indicates he's not weighted his tongue.

My and most 17' SD's I've weighted are at just over 400#'s
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #31

Thanks again to those that responded

Tags
casita