Towing Accidents - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Name: Keneth
Trailer: In the market
Vermont
Posts: 3
I think pics. would be much appreciated honda03842. :
__________________

__________________
kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
honda03842's Avatar
 
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Posts: 7,300
Ken,

What would you like pictures of?

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbarls View Post
I think pics. would be much appreciated honda03842. :
__________________

__________________
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Barrie Bochoff's Avatar
 
Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Posts: 293
Minor accident...

I don't have any stats but I was involved in a minor accident during my November trip to Florida. I was stopped at a traffic light in a small town in southern Maine. I felt a small bump. When the light turned green I pulled through the intersection and found a wide area to pull over. The car that bumped me pulled in as well. It turns out it was a 16 year old girl; she was trembling and almost speechless. She told me she didn't see the trailer; I had recently swapped the rear lights to LED units that are very bright. The only damage was a minor bend in my spare tire rack. I asked her if she had a provisional license and she said "Yes". I asked her if she would loose her driving privileges if the incident was reported. She said "Yes". I suggested calmly she should be more careful and wished her well; no harm, no foul. She smiled broadly and waved me goodbye.
Cheers,
Barrie
__________________
Barrie Bochoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,816
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D...I always have trouble keeping my checkbook in cheques!!! LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Have seen many accidents with cars and trucks even a tractor while driving but only seen a picture of one with a trailer and it was the trailer that saved the driver. The tow vehicle was held up buy the hitch to the trailer from a long fall. Narrow road and very bad road conditions; tow vehicle did not make the turn but the hitch held.
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post A member's accident report

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If anyone can extend Donna's recollections it would help. I'm not trying to do anything with stats other than to be aware of the numbers and how accidents occur.

Norm
I saved this file of of Ron Mayo's accident with the Airstream Bambi he had B.F. (Before Fiberglass)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Accident Report.pdf (61.8 KB, 57 views)
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Feel so lucky with all the years of towing no accidents; hearing about Barrie Bochoff's and Ron Mayo's accidents. Both turned out fine.
I do carry a camera when I travel.
Purchased a new rear veiw camera so will be able to look back anytime needed. (not installed yet)
Still we are long. Do not know if lighter would be any better. Ron's total is 8510 lbs plus that is a lot to move.
In the end safe driving held the day.
__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
Borden,
Would you please write a review of your rear view camera after you install it and use it ?

I have read some spec's that make it sound like the wireless signal will NOT reach from the back of the trailer to the dash of the TV.

Thank You

Bill K


Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Feel so lucky with all the years of towing no accidents; hearing about Barrie Bochoff's and Ron Mayo's accidents. Both turned out fine.
I do carry a camera when I travel.
Purchased a new rear veiw camera so will be able to look back anytime needed. (not installed yet)
Still we are long. Do not know if lighter would be any better. Ron's total is 8510 lbs plus that is a lot to move.
In the end safe driving held the day.
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Borden,
Would you please write a review of your rear view camera after you install it and use it ?

I have read some spec's that make it sound like the wireless signal will NOT reach from the back of the trailer to the dash of the TV.

Thank You

Bill K
Interesting! I really think Borden'll be OK with a fiberglass trailer. We'd pick up signals on our rear view for quite a distance through open air. Mine was set to the reverse lights so it would only transmit in reverse, but the receiver of course was always on. I'd occasionally get images popping up from similar units other cars around me, and one spot in particular I passed had some guy that had the camera pointed at his boat in front of his garage, so that was a frequent "channel" I'd enjoy passing the grocery store.

But, I can totally see an aluminum bodied trailer or motorhome blocking much of the signal from a wireless camera.

Regards,

Matt
__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Posts: 692
What I meant was the transmitting distance is said to be only 15-20 feet and it is farther than that to my dash.

Besides I want one that can be on full time while driving.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Interesting! I really think Borden'll be OK with a fiberglass trailer. We'd pick up signals on our rear view for quite a distance through open air. Mine was set to the reverse lights so it would only transmit in reverse, but the receiver of course was always on. I'd occasionally get images popping up from similar units other cars around me, and one spot in particular I passed had some guy that had the camera pointed at his boat in front of his garage, so that was a frequent "channel" I'd enjoy passing the grocery store.

But, I can totally see an aluminum bodied trailer or motorhome blocking much of the signal from a wireless camera.

Regards,

Matt
__________________
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 2006 Toyota Tundra
Posts: 172
Just traded up from a 1997 6 cylinder Toyota T-100 Manual Trans
To a 2006 Toyota Tundra V-8 Auto
Will start to tow with it I hope this week, will have to see what the gas milage will be.
I like the auto trans alot.
__________________
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
Ed Harris's Avatar
 
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Posts: 1,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Just traded up from a 1997 6 cylinder Toyota T-100 Manual Trans
To a 2006 Toyota Tundra V-8 Auto
Will start to tow with it I hope this week, will have to see what the gas milage will be.
I like the auto trans alot.
Dave
I went from a V6 Tundra,same V6 as your T100 to the V8 Tundra and I would not expect to be in any Gas Saving Parades if I were you.

The power though is welcome for sure.
The V6 was fine but the V8 is Very Fine!
You will like it I am sure.
Also the Tundy is roomier and just nicer than the 100 from my experience.

Also why did you put this comment here? Expecting an accident?

Ed
__________________
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 2006 Toyota Tundra
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Dave
I went from a V6 Tundra,same V6 as your T100 to the V8 Tundra and I would not expect to be in any Gas Saving Parades if I were you.

The power though is welcome for sure.
The V6 was fine but the V8 is Very Fine!
You will like it I am sure.
Also the Tundy is roomier and just nicer than the 100 from my experience.

Also why did you put this comment here? Expecting an accident?

Ed
No expecting an accident here, but I do think that we need to think about matching our tow with trailer, the Tundra seems a better match.
I do like the space and the rear access door for the dog to get in and out.
This is our only rig so we try to keep miles to our minimum. Retired so I no long drive everyday for work.
When with the bigger rig.
__________________
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Posts: 1,002
Registry
Will rate the camera when installed package rated it too reach well past the rear of the trailer but time will tell.

These fiberglass trailers are very very light their size compared to conventional construction. We looked at a t@b it was smaller had no washroom and less space and the weight was greater than the boler.

The car pulls it no problem as we are setup. We have a Load Equalizing Hitch as recommend in the boler manual and would not pull without it.

The original manual and sticker in trailer both give different weights. Manual is low and trailer sticker is high maybe rated will all options?
The manual puts tongue at 202 lbs with water and propane full. Fresh water is behind the axle. Real weight is less? (wonder about the scales they used)

We will not win any races but 50 to 55 mph is fine with me. Gas was $1.25 liter $5 Gallon US last week and may go higher. In the end it is how we drive and do we have proper set up of TV and RV. Still accidents can happen no mater how careful.

When all the fixing is finished will work on lowering weight for now will have some fun.
__________________

__________________
1978 Ontario made Boler
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to towing :D JonE Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 3 07-13-2009 10:05 PM
Towing bonnie w General Chat 5 07-29-2006 10:59 PM
towing ?? Christi V. General Chat 5 07-22-2006 01:14 AM
towing General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.