Towing Accidents - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #21

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Feel so lucky with all the years of towing no accidents; hearing about Barrie Bochoff's and Ron Mayo's accidents. Both turned out fine.
I do carry a camera when I travel.
Purchased a new rear veiw camera so will be able to look back anytime needed. (not installed yet)
Still we are long. Do not know if lighter would be any better. Ron's total is 8510 lbs plus that is a lot to move.
In the end safe driving held the day.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Borden,
Would you please write a review of your rear view camera after you install it and use it ?

I have read some spec's that make it sound like the wireless signal will NOT reach from the back of the trailer to the dash of the TV.

Thank You

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Feel so lucky with all the years of towing no accidents; hearing about Barrie Bochoff's and Ron Mayo's accidents. Both turned out fine.
I do carry a camera when I travel.
Purchased a new rear veiw camera so will be able to look back anytime needed. (not installed yet)
Still we are long. Do not know if lighter would be any better. Ron's total is 8510 lbs plus that is a lot to move.
In the end safe driving held the day.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Borden,
Would you please write a review of your rear view camera after you install it and use it ?

I have read some spec's that make it sound like the wireless signal will NOT reach from the back of the trailer to the dash of the TV.

Thank You

Bill K
Interesting! I really think Borden'll be OK with a fiberglass trailer. We'd pick up signals on our rear view for quite a distance through open air. Mine was set to the reverse lights so it would only transmit in reverse, but the receiver of course was always on. I'd occasionally get images popping up from similar units other cars around me, and one spot in particular I passed had some guy that had the camera pointed at his boat in front of his garage, so that was a frequent "channel" I'd enjoy passing the grocery store.

But, I can totally see an aluminum bodied trailer or motorhome blocking much of the signal from a wireless camera.

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
What I meant was the transmitting distance is said to be only 15-20 feet and it is farther than that to my dash.

Besides I want one that can be on full time while driving.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Interesting! I really think Borden'll be OK with a fiberglass trailer. We'd pick up signals on our rear view for quite a distance through open air. Mine was set to the reverse lights so it would only transmit in reverse, but the receiver of course was always on. I'd occasionally get images popping up from similar units other cars around me, and one spot in particular I passed had some guy that had the camera pointed at his boat in front of his garage, so that was a frequent "channel" I'd enjoy passing the grocery store.

But, I can totally see an aluminum bodied trailer or motorhome blocking much of the signal from a wireless camera.

Regards,

Matt
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Just traded up from a 1997 6 cylinder Toyota T-100 Manual Trans
To a 2006 Toyota Tundra V-8 Auto
Will start to tow with it I hope this week, will have to see what the gas milage will be.
I like the auto trans alot.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #26

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Just traded up from a 1997 6 cylinder Toyota T-100 Manual Trans
To a 2006 Toyota Tundra V-8 Auto
Will start to tow with it I hope this week, will have to see what the gas milage will be.
I like the auto trans alot.
Dave
I went from a V6 Tundra,same V6 as your T100 to the V8 Tundra and I would not expect to be in any Gas Saving Parades if I were you.

The power though is welcome for sure.
The V6 was fine but the V8 is Very Fine!
You will like it I am sure.
Also the Tundy is roomier and just nicer than the 100 from my experience.

Also why did you put this comment here? Expecting an accident?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #27

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Dave
I went from a V6 Tundra,same V6 as your T100 to the V8 Tundra and I would not expect to be in any Gas Saving Parades if I were you.

The power though is welcome for sure.
The V6 was fine but the V8 is Very Fine!
You will like it I am sure.
Also the Tundy is roomier and just nicer than the 100 from my experience.

Also why did you put this comment here? Expecting an accident?

Ed
No expecting an accident here, but I do think that we need to think about matching our tow with trailer, the Tundra seems a better match.
I do like the space and the rear access door for the dog to get in and out.
This is our only rig so we try to keep miles to our minimum. Retired so I no long drive everyday for work.
When with the bigger rig.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #28

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Will rate the camera when installed package rated it too reach well past the rear of the trailer but time will tell.

These fiberglass trailers are very very light their size compared to conventional construction. We looked at a t@b it was smaller had no washroom and less space and the weight was greater than the boler.

The car pulls it no problem as we are setup. We have a Load Equalizing Hitch as recommend in the boler manual and would not pull without it.

The original manual and sticker in trailer both give different weights. Manual is low and trailer sticker is high maybe rated will all options?
The manual puts tongue at 202 lbs with water and propane full. Fresh water is behind the axle. Real weight is less? (wonder about the scales they used)

We will not win any races but 50 to 55 mph is fine with me. Gas was $1.25 liter $5 Gallon US last week and may go higher. In the end it is how we drive and do we have proper set up of TV and RV. Still accidents can happen no mater how careful.

When all the fixing is finished will work on lowering weight for now will have some fun.