Towing Accidents - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Towing Accidents

Since many people have dismissed towing with a lighter tow vehicle, I've been trying to find data on RV trailer accidents. When I look at on line videos, they typically seem to be non-Scamp/Casita sized trailers towed by large tow vehicles.

If any one has a source of data on RV Trailer towing accidents I would be interested. (There are many cases of utility trailer accidents, but that's an entirely different situation probably bounded by inexperience and poor loading.)

I would also be interested in hearing of any accidents with the fiberglass towing community. We could all probably learn from them even if the telling is painful.

Thank you,

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

Florida
I did find statistics on Motorhomes. The fatality rate is very low. The author claimed in part because they owners tend to be old and cautious, as well they very rarely drive at night and typically are not DUI candidates.

I have found very little on RV Trailers and searching the three forums I belong to I have not found any fiberglass trailer accidents other than one where a Scamp owner was regrettably rear ended.

I've looked at near 20 internet videos of crashes. Everyone has been a larger trailer than ours, typically towed by a large tow vehicle. This made me think of my motorhome days.

One disadvantage of a large trailer is that it's sail area is correspondingly large compared to the tow vehicle. We found that in our motorhome, with strong side winds, there was a tendency of the motorhome to want to spin around the rear wheels, hence we tended not to drive in sidewinds, or to be cautious when exiting a wind shadow. Typically the rear wheels on a gas powered motorhome are near where they are on a trailer.

With caution, we may be safer than the typical RV trailer.

Just a thought,

Norm
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've been a member here for quite a while, not that it matters... but, I remember four Casitas, two Scamps, a 19 foot Escape and a Burro that was flipped and left on the road dead. That's eight from memory. I'm not fond of statistics after taking a statistics class and knowing how stats can be manipulated to suit needs. It's doubtful there are TWO exact matchups of tug/tow on any of these forums when you take into consideration roads traveled, speed traveled, what's packed, and number of occupants/pets/toys in a tug. My tug is what I feel most comfortable driving when pulling something that weighs more than a ton. It's not just go/stop it's also about control. Alot of that control happens between the truck seat and the head along with arms and foot on the brakes/accelerator. Common sense and a tug that's rated to pull the amount of weight of the trailer outweighs statistics every time. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
I see you have a 16 foot which is what we're interested in Donna, so would you mind sharing your tow vehicle? Are you totally happy with it?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #5

Florida
If anyone can extend Donna's recollections it would help. I'm not trying to do anything with stats other than to be aware of the numbers and how accidents occur.

Norm
Old 02-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Not long ago there was a video on here of an egg and a Toyota landcruiser that were jackknifed backwards against the center divider. The video didn't say what happened it mostly just showed them loading it on a rollback.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
Live in colorado and you must know, that going up in a small tow. Is not a fast thing to do. It's going DOWN That hill! I have a small truck, but it was made for it. must be fatter and stronger , than what you pull and able to contole it going DOWN !
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Electric brakes and the right hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian dobbs View Post
Live in colorado and you must know, that going up in a small tow. Is not a fast thing to do. It's going DOWN That hill! I have a small truck, but it was made for it. must be fatter and stronger , than what you pull and able to contole it going DOWN !
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 AM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Here's an accident that happened in August 2009 to a couple from my area. It got a lot of local coverage. The trailer was recently acquired by the couple, and wasn't especially big. Neither was it badly matched to the tow vehicle.
The importance of having and learning how to use trailer brakes for sway control cannot be better illustrated than by this tragic event.
Sequim man dies after I-90 crash -- Port Angeles Port Townsend Sequim Forks Jefferson County Clallam County Olympic Peninsula Daily news
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
I see you have a 16 foot which is what we're interested in Donna, so would you mind sharing your tow vehicle? Are you totally happy with it?
I tow with a 2000 Ford F-150, two wheel drive, Titen V-8 5.3 litre. I love my truck. It now has a bit over 130,000 miles on it. I don't know what I'll purchase as a replacement. I've actually thought about pulling the drivetrain and stuffing a diesel into the bay. Since the labor would be free, that's certainly cheaper than buying new. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll be test driving a new F-150 with EcoBoost next weekend. Ford contacted my truck club and asked us to all test drive the two trucks they're bringing to Portland. Exciting! I just have to remember to keep my checkbook in my pocket
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Better yet leave it home Donna. LOL

Please let us know your feeling about the truck as that is what I am thinking about going to next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I just have to remember to keep my checkbook in my pocket
Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #12

Florida
On our first trip west, we quickly learned we needed a copy of the book that describes the steep hills in the region. (For the life of me I can;t remember the name.) It's always good to know about long ups and downs before you get there. In a motorhome, the radiator temperatures build up fast on the uphills and the brakes just as fast on the downhills.

We simply learned to downshift before we start down with both the trailer and motorhome. Our first goal is safety.

On our first trailer trip we overloaded the rear with a generator, creating sway. We found that tapping the break contoller, putting just the trailer brakes on, instantly kills sway. As soon as we could we stopped and moved the generator, no more sway.

Norm
Old 03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita
Donna,

Be careful of that F150! They are very addictive. I have one on order. And I thought I would never like a big truck.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I tow with a 2000 Ford F-150, two wheel drive, Titen V-8 5.3 litre. I love my truck. It now has a bit over 130,000 miles on it. I don't know what I'll purchase as a replacement. I've actually thought about pulling the drivetrain and stuffing a diesel into the bay. Since the labor would be free, that's certainly cheaper than buying new. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'll be test driving a new F-150 with EcoBoost next weekend. Ford contacted my truck club and asked us to all test drive the two trucks they're bringing to Portland. Exciting! I just have to remember to keep my checkbook in my pocket
I'll be picking up my F-150 FX4 Supercrew Ecoboost in a couple of weeks.

Can hardly wait.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #15

Name: Keneth
Trailer: In the market
Vermont
I think pics. would be much appreciated honda03842. :
kenbarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM   #16

Florida
Ken,

What would you like pictures of?

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbarls View Post
I think pics. would be much appreciated honda03842. :
Old 03-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Minor accident...

I don't have any stats but I was involved in a minor accident during my November trip to Florida. I was stopped at a traffic light in a small town in southern Maine. I felt a small bump. When the light turned green I pulled through the intersection and found a wide area to pull over. The car that bumped me pulled in as well. It turns out it was a 16 year old girl; she was trembling and almost speechless. She told me she didn't see the trailer; I had recently swapped the rear lights to LED units that are very bright. The only damage was a minor bend in my spare tire rack. I asked her if she had a provisional license and she said "Yes". I asked her if she would loose her driving privileges if the incident was reported. She said "Yes". I suggested calmly she should be more careful and wished her well; no harm, no foul. She smiled broadly and waved me goodbye.
Cheers,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donna D...I always have trouble keeping my checkbook in cheques!!! LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Have seen many accidents with cars and trucks even a tractor while driving but only seen a picture of one with a trailer and it was the trailer that saved the driver. The tow vehicle was held up buy the hitch to the trailer from a long fall. Narrow road and very bad road conditions; tow vehicle did not make the turn but the hitch held.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #20

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post A member's accident report

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If anyone can extend Donna's recollections it would help. I'm not trying to do anything with stats other than to be aware of the numbers and how accidents occur.

Norm
I saved this file of of Ron Mayo's accident with the Airstream Bambi he had B.F. (Before Fiberglass)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Accident Report.pdf (61.8 KB, 58 views)