Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I am told that they are required in BC, if your trailer has brakes.
Well there is some confusion on that point! When I imported my trailer I had to take it for an inspection so I looked into the issue of what it had to have and whether or not a brake away switch was required. Talked with various government officials and got a few different answers!

At the end of it all what I discovered was that all commercial trailers that have brakes must have a brake away device regardless of weight. But the section that deals with recreational trailers under 1400 Kilograms (3087 pounds) does not actually mention a brake away devise. But if the trailer is over 1400 Kilograms it does need brakes and a breakaway device. When I went in for the inspection I was told it wasnt required due to the weight of my trailer even though I had brakes on it. But to be honest having a brake away switch on a trailer under 1400 Kilograms is not a bad idea regardless.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
george,

In one case a boat fell off a trailer.
I have seen that SO many times! Usually on I-5 in Seattle area. (No idea why, but it seems that about every third time I go through Seattle on I-5, I see another one - usually between Federal Way & Fife areas) In a couple of cases I've seen the trailer stay attached to the car/truck/SUV and in (what seems to be) perfect condition, but there's the boat sitting there in the third lane, or on the median.... Didn't the guy tie/strap/hook it to the trailer? At all?

Usually they are pretty nice looking boats, too!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #17

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Here's a link to etrailer.com break away kits. All come with a small 12v battery to activate the brakes. This would be necessary on a trailer that didn't have a battery such as cargo, heavy equipment, etc.

etrailer.com - Products Trailer Breakaway Kit breakaway kit

At the recent Spring NOG I saw breakaway switches on the Escape trailers that I looked at. I've never seen one on a Scamp as built by the factory.

I'll put one on mine when I get the brakes working. It looks like they cost $7.00 to $10.00. I'll use the trailer battery to activate the brakes.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have seen that SO many times!
Unfortunately boats off the trailers is not an uncommon sight on Vancouver Island as well. LOL
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #19

Trailer:
Quote:
I am told (have no evidence) that there is move afoot to ban surge brakes on trailers due to the risks of a trailer running away following a break-away.
Yurpeen trailers have cable-operated or rod-operated mechanical surge brakes and it's been compulsory to have a (mechanical, not electrical) breakaway cable for decades. The trailer end of the cable is attached to the handbrake lever so if the trailer breaks away, the handbrake is locked on by the cable before the cable snaps.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #20

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
I went to look for "safetrailers.org" and it was no surprise that there simply is no such thing.
I was refered to "dangeroustrailers.org" where I did find the video below.
I must warn you that it is another redundant safety device and the use of all available ones may subject your trailer to a dangerous overload!
It is interesting though,I only wish they had shown exactly how it is attached....

Dangerous Trailers.org presents SAFE-TOW video one.wmv - YouTube
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #21

Trailer: 1975 Boler
Registry
Small Car towing caravan crashes - YouTube
Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
The "dynamite pack" was one of things that was tested along with proof that ALL wheels had brakes, plus coupler was rated for a minimum of "X %" above trailer's certified gross weight, plus trailer-rated rims, plus trailer-rated tires, plus, plus, plus etc.
My Fiber Stream was manufactured with Brakes on the front axle only, although each axle (and the Brakes) is rated for the full GVWR of the trailer. My Compact Jr. does not have Brakes.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I must warn you that it is another redundant safety device and the use of all available ones may subject your trailer to a dangerous overload!
It is interesting though,I only wish they had shown exactly how it is attached....
]
LOL What is interesting about the video to me is it appears that they have attached their brake away switch to the trucks hitch assembly - our perhaps I just need to clean my glasses. Most of the install instructions that I have seen for a brake away switchs say you are not suppose to attach it to the hitch assembly, instead its to be attached to the frame of the vehicle towing. hummmmm
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Here's a video for those who like to think that small fiberglass trailers & tow vechiles dont often have serious accidents. Hopefully no one was hurt - based on the amount of traffic on that highway they were lucky not to have been hit by someone else.

There is also a party on this list that purchased a pretty new fiberglass trailer from a salvage company a couple of years ago after it had been written off by the insurance company due to being seriously damaged as a result of a roll over or flop over. Havent looked but there may still be photos of what that looked like after the accident.

So people towing small fiberglass trailers do indeed have accidents. Maybe they dont happen to often or perhaps its simply that they dont make the press as often - but when they do happen it doesnt make them any less dangerous.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
A safety tip video for those towing with small vehicles small trailers.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Purpose

There were two purposes to this thread:

1. to show how we each can reduce the chances of having a serious accident,
2. to show that the bulk of trailer accidents seemed to be loose utility/construction trailers where the trailer came loose.

Of course there are travel trailer towing accidents, though travel trailer accidents do seem to be rare.

I suspect that the primary cause of travel trailer accidents is the lack of knowledge among beginners and even experienced towers. I think the sum of knowing the little things, of paying careful attention can make a big difference... definitely the installation of a break away switch on small trailers can make a difference on braked trailers.

My hope was that this thread might generate additional suggestions on how to reduce the chances of accident and to improve the safety of towing. Since loose trailers seemed to be the primary cuase of accidents.

Jim's (CPAHarley2008) response about the ball lock was what I was hoping for plus all the positive responses on break away switches and the surge brake solution (something I was totally unaware of).

What tips would you give to a newbie about towing safely?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I just wish our couplers were as nicely designed as European ones. Most of their trailers have cable or rod actuated brakes with PARKING brakes! Also, many of the couplers have a green "flag" that pops up to tell you that the coupler is locked to the ball. Most of our couplers are just cheap stamped metal waiting to rust apart.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Here's a video for those who like to think that small fiberglass trailers & tow vechiles dont often have serious accidents. Hopefully no one was hurt - based on the amount of traffic on that highway they were lucky not to have been hit by someone else.

Carol, I honestly haven't seen anyone on this site even suggest that small fiberglass trailers don't have accidents...