Towing an FWD vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Yesterday, Saturday, we awoke to find that we had had a tire slashed during the night by some dirtbags. Worse yet, they had hit about a ten square block that night, as well as the same area off and on for the last two weeks. Still worse, for some of our neighbors, they decided at random whether to slash 1, 2, 3, or all four of each victim’s car.

The good news is that they caught the scum late yesterday.

Since we had only lost one tire, I used the spare and found a Goodyear store with an identical tire to replace the flat. However, they first asked me if I had four-wheel drive. Since my Dodge Dakota has “all wheel drive”, as well as selectable “4 wheel drive”, (please don’t ask me what the differences are between these two types of drive), I was warned of two things:
  • If the other 3 tires were worn significantly, using a new 4<sup>th</sup> tire would cause the transfer case to fail prematurely. In my case, the tread difference was minimal, since the 2007 truck only had 13,000 miles, so I got by with one new tire. Had the wear been greater, I would have needed to buy all 4 tires new.
  • Since this truck cannot “freewheel”, it, or any similarly equipped vehicle, truck, car, SUV, etc. must NEVER be towed unless all four wheels are on the ground, or all four wheels are off the ground! Towing the vehicle with just two wheels, front or back, off the ground will quickly result in transfer case destruction, at a cost in the multi-thousands of dollars.

So, if your four-wheel drive vehicle cannot disengage the transfer case, the towing rule is, all four tires on the ground, or all four tires off the ground (using a flat-bed tow truck).

This may be old news to the long-time four-wheelers, but as a noobie four wheeler, it was a shock to me. I hope this will help others.
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote