Towing Bigfoot B17 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #21

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My Astro van is good for 5500 lbs. and I use a WDH to keep it level.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #22

Name: Edwin
Trailer: B17 1989
Georgia
Thanks everyone for contributing with your hands on experience. My tow capacity( Frontier) is 6100 lbs. I am presently deciding weather to upgrade my axle and then I will make a decision on the weight distribution hitch. I do have to say that the Bigfoot seems to tow beautifully during the 1500 miles traveled so far since purchase. My next trip is months away so I have some time to process all the information before making an informed decision. I really do appreciate the input.
Edwin and Lana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #23

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Sometimes vehicles just feel better with a device installed. When towing our 16 foot Scamp with the Jeep Wrangler, it is very sensitive to correct loading. If a little tongue light the trailer will just want to oscillate ever so slightly. If the friction device sway control is used the oscillation is not felt. Like a bandaid it covers the problem. It won't work for big loading errors, so not a magic bullet. The Jeep is tall with soft suspension and big squishy tires, so amplifies forces imparted by the trailer. I don't see how WDH would help the Jeep as it has plenty of traction up front and computer controlled air bags to carry the weight. Our new tug is an old 1/2 ton Chevy that has been lowered with firm shocks, springs, sway bars, and low profile wide tires. Towing with it is extremely stable, as it can resist trailer forces easily. It handles like it's on a rail. We have not used a friction device with it. A WDH is also not needed due to it having air bags inside the rear coil springs for leveling if needed. Front tire traction is not a problem with sub 500 lb tongue weight on the trailer. Front end weighs 2000lb and rear tires provide the drive.
Many people that use WDH's probably don't need them, but if it adds to the driving comfort level, why not if it's OK with the car manufacturer. They add a little time to hook up, but not a big deal.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot