towing boat behind bigfoot fith wheel? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
towing boat behind bigfoot fith wheel?

Has anyone installed a hitch on the back end of a bigfoot fifth wheel for towing a boat? I have decided to try and find a tandem axle 20' Bigfoot 5er, with hopes of towing my 16' boat or 16' car hauler. The law here states that the lead trailer has to be a tandem axle. So am wondering if a reciever hitch can be installed on the back end of a bigfoot fifth wheel? I haven't personally looked to see how the back bumper is built on the camper, and whether the install is even possible. Unfortunately I haven't found a camper yet, and don't know where one resides so that a could take a look see. Hopefully it can be done as my hopes are high on owning a Bigfoot here soon.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Oh yes a friend in Saskatoon Tows with a Dodge 4x4,Bigfoot TW20 5th wheel and pulls a boat behind. He uses a back up camera to see the boat.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
While its legal with a double axle 5th wheel to have a second trailer attached in Alberta its not legal in B.C. as well as numerous other provinces and states. So if your are planing on traveling you may not be able to go to far.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Guess it's legal in Saskatchewan 'cause there is no where to go...

Not entirely true. I left.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:11 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Not sure about a bigfoot or any of the glass trailers for double towing but in California they really look down on double towing. In order to be legal the last time I checked you needed a commercial D/L and the first trailer had to be a 5th or goose neck connection with brakes. I called the CHP because I wanted to do the same thing with a jet ski as last in line but my TV was a class A and I had the commercial D/L...whoops. Of the few doubles I've seen on the road some have a sign in the back window saying "yes, I'm legal" and have no idea if that kept them from being pulled over or not. I don't know how CA would treat an out of state driver pulling doubles.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:13 AM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Sound to me like you are planning on putting a lot of weight on that third part of your train. You didn't mention the size of the "Boat", but a car hauler usually has a car on it and I really doubt if the back end of even a BigFoot would welcome another 3500-5000 lbs on it's tail.

On top of that, if it weighs over 1500 lbs, (1000 lbs in some venues) you will have to have brakes on the second trailer as well.

And I am trusting that you have a Big A$$ Diesel to pull all of this with.....

As far as driving in California, you would have to meet all CA-DMV requirements to drive it in the Golden state. But then you would have to figure which states and Provinces you could pull it through to get here first.

And yes, what you want to do "May" be legal, but I can guarantee that you will get lots of attention you don't want when doing so. Posting a sign that sez "Yes, It's legal" sounds like it could be someone with an attitude problem, one of CHP's favorite customers.....

Maybe you should get the BigFoot first and find out if even that part works for you...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
When I lived in California, you could pull doubles as mentioned but you couldn't in Oregon and Nevada which would limit the travel anyway.

I have never seen anyone who was hooking up the last trailer, which I would have liked to observe. The small trailer that I was considering was something to be moved by hand. In Wyoming I did see a double that included two 25 foot pull trailers and thought that challenge would be special to watch.

I came to the conclusion that a large truck and overhead camper was the choice for horse people or most boat applications. My truck and Montana 5th wheel rig was 55 feet long and just fuel stops were sometimes a challenge.
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot