Towing capability & Motorcycle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
We often carry an ATV that weighs more than your bike in the bed of our pickup, along with towing our trailer. Sadly, the best option, if you want both the bike and the trailer, is to trade one vehicle for a half-ton with tow package, in my opinion.

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita
I'm new on the group, learning about travel trailers. I've never had one before, though my wife and her dad used a fifth wheel in the past.

I currently own a 2004 Accura MDX with a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs. My other car is a Mini Cooper that giggles when you mention towing trailers. So the MDX is the work horse.

I'm currently leaning toward the 16' Casita style of trailers, but have only begun my learning curve, so I'm looking and looking.

My question is, is it possible to bring along a 500 lb motorcycle in addition to a 2000 lb travel trailer? If so, how is this done?
I have a 17' Casita and a 535# MC. The frame will not let yu tow a second trailer or mount a rack on either end. Only solution is pickup. I dearly miss our 38' Beaver with 27' cargo behind.

James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #17
Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
I gave this considerable thought a few years ago. I initially thought about modifying an egg to have a back door, but decided that wasn't a good idea for several reasons: "Floor of egg not built to support that sort of weight" was the big one - but there were others. So, I eventually decided to approach the problem from the opposite direction. I found a nice cargo trailer (It's a HiPoint trailer, fiberglass structure with an internal steel frame supporting it) and built it to be a camper. That way I could place everything exactly where I wanted it, get everything out of the way of the bike (and handlebars), have the side beds fold up etc etc. It's not as built-out as a typical camper, but it does OK.

Course - pretty much as soon as I got started on that the twin girls came along, plans changed and I really haven't had a chance to use it. Anybody in the market for a miniature toy hauler?

Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote